21/06/2020 - Everton 0-0 Liverpool

Recent Form
Everton - LLDLL
Liverpool - WWWLW

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I'm genuinely going out to avoid watching this.

It's actually not impossible that we might just shithouse our way to a grubby 0-0 here. Even the shittest iterations of banter era Everton seem to find a baseline level of grit and organisation in the Goodison derby and get a point more often than not. To be honest though I'm long past that being a positive. It's romantic to believe that players up their game for the derby because they owe it to the fans but with this lot it has become clear that the majority of them know they'll get away with their next three disinterested outings if they run around a bit against Liverpool and leave one on a couple of their players. If we find some backbone and compete in this game all I'll care about is asking where that was against Watford, Wolves, Villa, Brentford etc earlier in the season.

We'll most likely lose meekly though. If we're going to do it in a Rafa Benitez way, only losing 2-0 but not conjuring a shot on target for the whole game, then that can fuck right off. If we're going to lose I hope we're 3-0 down and out of it by half time so our fans can just ignore the game in the second half and have a 45 minute protest against the board. It's long overdue.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Heard yesterday Everton haven't won a game since September. Didn't know their rut was so bad. 

No wins in 7. Iwobi has won our goal of the month for November by default as his consolation goal at Wolves is the only goal we scored this month. People don't realise because the manager is getting a very, VERY easy ride from the media. They set their narrative of "good, solid, competent Rafa" after the start to the season and then got bored and went back to talking about the Super League Six wall to wall so they haven't really noticed yet.

Is the abuse of Rafa not misguided and should really be aimed at Moshiri? I get the obvious Rafa-Liverpool links and he’s the one who ultimately picks the team and gets them to do whatever it was they were attempting at Brentford (I saw that one) and the previous games but Rafa’s appointment, the shunning of actually letting a Director of Football do what a Director of Football does, the appointments and financial backings of Allardyce, Silva and now Benitez and league finishes going from 7th or 8th at the start of Moshiri’s tenure to 12th and 10th the last two with Everton starting at the possibility of their 5th bottom half finish in 15 years, to me looks as though a fair proportion of blame should be aimed at Moshiri and/or those who make the decisions at Everton.

3-0 Liverpool, though. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Is the abuse of Rafa not misguided and should really be aimed at Moshiri? I get the obvious Rafa-Liverpool links and he’s the one who ultimately picks the team and gets them to do whatever it was they were attempting at Brentford (I saw that one) and the previous games but Rafa’s appointment, the shunning of actually letting a Director of Football do what a Director of Football does, the appointments and financial backings of Allardyce, Silva and now Benitez and league finishes going from 7th or 8th at the start of Moshiri’s tenure to 12th and 10th the last two with Everton starting at the possibility of their 5th bottom half finish in 15 years, to me looks as though a fair proportion of blame should be aimed at Moshiri and/or those who make the decisions at Everton.

3-0 Liverpool, though. 

The board are very close to getting it good from the fans, I think. There's a lot of anger at Rafa after the last two games but I haven't seen or heard a single Everton fan delude themselves with the idea that sacking him would actually solve much.

Most of our problems aren't his fault but at the same time, that doesn't exempt him from criticism for his tactics and team selections. If you're going to surrender the majority of possession and have an approach as negative as he often does, you can't go winless in seven games. It just won't be tolerated at Everton or most other clubs really. Only the likes of Pulis and Dyche can get away with runs like that after bringing their sides up from way outside the Premier League circle on the back of that style of football. He doesn't deserve to be sacked just yet but when we've got Liverpool, Chelsea, Palace away, Arsenal, Leicester away as our next five games, that winless run of 7 is going to become 8, 9, 10... whether or not it's primarily his fault, you can't let that slide and it's the manager who will inevitably pay the price. That's football.

I don't rate any of the board to be honest and the feeling is consistent across the fanbase. If they get backed into a corner and end up sacking Benitez then there's nobody left to hide behind. Fans will/should be all over them then, as we should be already.

Klopp has never started Salah in this midweek fixture that falls end of November/start of December. I think he probably starts tomorrow but I think people should prepare themselves for the possibility of Origi or Minamino starting in place of one of the front three xD History shows that Klopp rotates quite heavily around this time of year. Could be different this year with us having the dead rubber in the Champions League though.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Klopp has never started Salah in this midweek fixture that falls end of November/start of December. I think he probably starts tomorrow but I think people should prepare themselves for the possibility of Origi or Minamino starting in place of one of the front three xD History shows that Klopp rotates quite heavily around this time of year. Could be different this year with us having the dead rubber in the Champions League though.

Like you said, the game midweek is the time to rest those players. We really need a win tomorrow as you’d expect both Chelsea and City to pick up three points. 

30 minutes ago, Rick said:

Like you said, the game midweek is the time to rest those players. We really need a win tomorrow as you’d expect both Chelsea and City to pick up three points. 

I think last season (in the group game where we played Jota when we didn't need to and he got a lengthy injury layoff) Klopp said something about how the money for each CL group match win is pretty high so he's encouraged to try to win those.

I think it's a going to come down to a balance between a business decision and a football decision whether we rest those players. But from a footballing perspective, it's a no brainer - go full strength vs. Everton and rest players in the CL.

16 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Do you think he still does this knowing he's losing him soon to African Nations games?

I'd have thought he'd get what he can out of him, especially now you closed up on Chelsea.

• Subscriber

Wolves are a bigger threat than us and he has made noises about how physical this fixture is mostly to put potential pressure on the officials and make sure the media remember to make a massive deal about Van Dijk's return to the site of his gruesome murder last season. There's an element of truth to it though and injuring their players is about all our lads are capable of so it's not inconceivable that he'll rest a few key players.

• Subscriber

Everything points to a Liverpool win but as we'll hear countless times in the media this afternoon and during the build up to the game, anything can happen in football and form doesn't matter in a derby etc etc.

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

Do you think he still does this knowing he's losing him soon to African Nations games?

I'd have thought he'd get what he can out of him, especially now you closed up on Chelsea.

I'm not sure that comes into his thinking. It will just be about making sure he's available over the busy Christmas period as much as possible, especially as we have Leicester and Chelsea away back to back. As I say, I think he probably starts given there will be an opportunity to make changes next week. 

• The title was changed to Everton 1-4 Liverpool - Wednesday 1st December, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived