Man Utd 3-2 Arsenal - Thursday 2nd December, 2021

football forum

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Man Utd 3-2 Arsenal - Thursday 2nd December, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned
11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I think Michael Carrick might be the most underrated manager of this generation.

(Sorry if someone else already made this joke).

Any future manager will struggle to match his record. 

There was zero wrong with the opening goal and I don't see anyone apart from the media trying to create a controversy out of it. Bunch of bellends.

As for the game, it was there for us to win but we fucked it up as usual against a big named side.

We definitely need a striker, Aubameyang really is gelling with Arteta's tactics. And when he's not scoring, he's not doing much. Would be better with Lacazette starting as he actually does a lot of pressing and links up better with the midfielders. We seem to be after Vlahovic, but I can't see that happening.

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

There was zero wrong with the opening goal and I don't see anyone apart from the media trying to create a controversy out of it. Bunch of bellends.

As for the game, it was there for us to win but we fucked it up as usual against a big named side.

We definitely need a striker, Aubameyang really is gelling with Arteta's tactics. And when he's not scoring, he's not doing much. Would be better with Lacazette starting as he actually does a lot of pressing and links up better with the midfielders. We seem to be after Vlahovic, but I can't see that happening.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the opening goal and it's De Gea's fault for going down like that to stop play, I assume thinking it was an Arsenal player who trod on him (and in that case, it probably would have been legitimate to stop play) - but here the ref didn't even blow the whistle.

And I agree with you, Aubameyang doesn't really seem to fit in with how you play and he's really not up to much with Arsenal right now.

There was nothing wrong with the opening goal, except it was surprising Atkinson didn't blow the whistle.  In the modern game the way keepers are protected, and it's something I don't agree with, if you have a keeper lying prostrate on the ground, the ref is going to stop play.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the opening goal and it's De Gea's fault for going down like that to stop play, I assume thinking it was an Arsenal player who trod on him (and in that case, it probably would have been legitimate to stop play) - but here the ref didn't even blow the whistle.

De Gea's fault?

I'd say if he's genuinely injured (and he may have been) then why not stay down? He may have thought it was an Arsenal player but even so, if you're injured, you stay down.

Similar to what @Redcanuck says as well - I'm also surprised Atkinson didn't blow the whistle considering how much protection goal-keepers get, but I don't think that would have been the right thing to do.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

De Gea's fault?

I'd say if he's genuinely injured (and he may have been) then why not stay down? He may have thought it was an Arsenal player but even so, if you're injured, you stay down.

Similar to what @Redcanuck says as well - I'm also surprised Atkinson didn't blow the whistle considering how much protection goal-keepers get, but I don't think that would have been the right thing to do.

He wasn't genuinely injured, he got back up and kept playing the rest of the match. He's stayed down to win a foul so United and end the danger after the corner.

The problem was he wasn't "fouled" it was his own player.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He wasn't genuinely injured, he got back up and kept playing the rest of the match. He's stayed down to win a foul so United and end the danger after the corner.

The problem was he wasn't "fouled" it was his own player.

Yeah it's not a free-kick/foul hence agreeing it shouldn't be blown by Atkinson.

But you can be genuinely injured and still carry on. Several players do it. In the moment, he could have actually been injured :what:

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah it's not a free-kick/foul hence agreeing it shouldn't be blown by Atkinson.

But you can be genuinely injured and still carry on. Several players do it. In the moment, he could have actually been injured :what:

Yeah but honestly that's the case for lots of instances in the league... and just football generally. But shit like this happens to keepers all the time tbh at a much lower level where players are just simply more clumsy... and I have no doubt it's really painful for the keepers because I've experienced being trod on by a clumsy fuck while I've played football... but he's not playing Sunday league football and is an actual pro (a top level one as well) - he can't just lie there writhing in pain while his side is defending a corner.

I'm 100% confident had he known it was Fred, he'd have been in pain but not gone down and rolled around on the floor like that. United have nobody to blame for that but De Gea, imo. But not like it matters because they won the match and got the 3 points.

Archived