09/03/2020 - Leicester 4-0 Aston Villa

Recent Form
Aston Villa - LWWLL
Leicester - DWWLD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Bad news for you all. I'm going and we always win here when I don't go and never do when I do.

Think it's a both teams to score banker. We're scoring plenty with 9 in our last 3 (albeit against pretty tame opposition), Maddison flying again, but we're laughably easy to score against.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I don't really get having a minutes applause for something as tragic as that to be honest. Same with the Ava White one in the derby on Wednesday. 

Didn't applause replace silence about 10-15 years ago because this generation is too immature to actually reflect and respect? I seem to recall around the time of the change (2008ish?) that silences erupted into applause to drown out drunks or singing. Now it is the default position.

9 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Didn't applause replace silence about 10-15 years ago because this generation is too immature to actually reflect and respect? I seem to recall around the time of the change (2008ish?) that silences erupted into applause to drown out drunks or singing. Now it is the default position.

Yeah applause is a fairly recent thing. I get applause for a club legend who has passed away at an old age and that you could get people disrupting a silence whoever the opposition is. Surely no one is going to disrupt a silence for a kid who was murdered though?

They still have silence around 11th November at football grounds if I'm not mistaken?

59 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah applause is a fairly recent thing. I get applause for a club legend who has passed away at an old age and that you could get people disrupting a silence whoever the opposition is. Surely no one is going to disrupt a silence for a kid who was murdered though?

They still have silence around 11th November at football grounds if I'm not mistaken?

The only one left, usually marred by cries of "shut up" and "shhhhh". They should do a silence for this poor lad though I agree.

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I dunno there’s some absolute dickheads out there, get alcohol involved and who knows I bet at least 2% of the crowd would do something idiotic.

I think it’s better for showing solidarity with the family of the poor kid to not have it in silence, so a small minority doesn’t fuck it up.

On the applause thing, yes, took me a bit of adapting to, but when it's a former footballer, there seems a nice touch to it. Probably for the relatives. Seeing 1 last crowd appreciation for whoever it is. That can't be rained on by a few loons.

It somehow does feel odd in a tragedy type thing. And suited more to a solemn moments silence. But whatever the situation, the chances are someone somewhere would feel inclined.

Most idiots do love their country, perhaps to excess, so if not a national pride thing, all loons will have the option to decide they don't get it, like it, want to make a loopy point of some kind. And I guess nobody actually effected would want that all over news headlines or back pages.

The first time I saw us do an applause was for Malcolm Allison in 2011. The only reason we did was because we were playing Millwall who absolutely 100% would have ruined it. Instead them chanting and banging seats kind of added to the moment as we out sang them whilst applauding with a rendition of the Malcolm Allison chant we had from the 70's.

Ever since them i've always been in favour of them. There's just too many unfortunate things that can happen with a one minute silence. Too many have been ruined by stewards being unaware, people in the bar area unaware, people coming in to the ground unaware etc. 

I remember two years ago we were playing Newcastle United on Remembrance Sunday weekend and when we were having the minute's silence before kick off the away end speakers were blurting out DaRude Sandstorm. It was really embarrassing. 

• Administrator

Turns out it's the correct decision by the letter of the law, taken from Twitter 

F9327B1E-32AA-4EDC-B259-435982CF2276.thumb.jpeg.857276cec60e648f7385da73ccad8046.jpeg

Still glosses over some very shoddy defending. Seems to be the norm these days sadly. Playing well otherwise and based on the chances reckon we should be ahead. 

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester - Sunday 5th December, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived