talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 15 Matches - 4-5th December, 2021

football forum

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Not sure what some expect from a 5th/6th choice attacker. He's scored some of the most important goals this team has scored in the last 2-3 years. Surely what you want? Not aimed at you by the way.

No I agree Mike. He's off this summer from what I've heard but he's been nothing short of the perfect professional since he's been here and as you say, scored many crucial goals. 

He has never moaned about lack of game time and has always done a decent job whenever called upon. I've never really got this obsession with some of our fan base who do nothing but stag him off and can't wait for him to be sold?

He will never be starter for us but as you say, he is an excellent 4th/5th choice option.

Good luck to him at his next club.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Some Leicester fans wanted him in and Rodgers out. Like actively wanting the latter out to then get Potter in.  

I’d still rather have Potter. He’s one good striker away from Europe. 

13 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Fuck me we invited them on for the last 10 minutes. Scary time.

3 massive points. The first win. Temporary breath. To try and kick on now.

It's probably because I'm looking at the table often through SofaScore but I was stunned to hear that was your first win of the season. Those in the media that continually backed Steve Bruce have no shame.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

What about the other ten players?

While you've not been wrong about Brighton, they are playing pretty average, and getting away with some mediocre, overly defensive performances with some late winners, what's your specific angle in it all? 

They're a well drilled side, playing at potential, getting a mix of jammy draws, unlucky draws and narrow defeats. Trossard Duffey and Bissouma are pretty good. Sanchez and a few others are pretty shit. Moupay is handsome and premier league quality, but not going to rocket them into Europe. 
Are you jealous of their relative success? Angry they stole 2 points off you? Think they're relegation fodder playing over board? 

12 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

While you've not been wrong about Brighton, they are playing pretty average, and getting away with some mediocre, overly defensive performances with some late winners, what's your specific angle in it all? 

They're a well drilled side, playing at potential, getting a mix of jammy draws, unlucky draws and narrow defeats. Trossard Duffey and Bissouma are pretty good. Sanchez and a few others are pretty shit. Moupay is handsome and premier league quality, but not going to rocket them into Europe. 
Are you jealous of their relative success? Angry they stole 2 points off you? Think they're relegation fodder playing over board? 

I'm just having a bit of fun about our rivals expense.

It's arguably the most intense rivalry in the UK at the minute. Read about it more here... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_%26_Hove_Albion_F.C.–Crystal_Palace_F.C._rivalry

In a more serious response to @Rick suggestion that Brighton are a good striker off Europe I'd argue they're a good striker off a top half finish but the gap between top seven is too far from them. A good striker in the summer wouldn't have potentially put them on an even keel with the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester or West Ham but it would have given them a fair crack of being grouped with Wolves, Leeds, Villa etc. People may assume they're at that level already but there highest PL finish suggests otherwise.

To disect the team I think Lewis Dunk and Yves Bissouma are the two that could play regularly in a top seven side. Cucurella looks like a good signing at the minute. It's difficult to tell Sanchez, Moder, Mwepu and Trossard's ceiling. Lamptey and Lallana are too injury prone. Maupay is too inconsistent. Webster, Burn, Duffy etc are all playing OK in the system but they'll need to improve on those players 

Europe was probably too strong a claim. I agree that a top half finish is probably more realistic. 

Like @Devil-Dick Willie said, they are a well drilled side. They know their jobs, they play for eachother. Bissouma, Dunk, Trossard, Lallana, Lamptey & Maupay are all really handy players and then they have others in the squad who many not be the same level but they do a job. They create so many chances, and if they had somebody who could even score 1 in 4 shots, they wouldn’t be ten without a win. 

Give potter that Leicester side and they wouldn’t have bottled top four two years running. Rodgers has a ceiling, and we have seen it. Potter, for me, has yet to reach his. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Europe was probably too strong a claim. I agree that a top half finish is probably more realistic. 

Like @Devil-Dick Willie said, they are a well drilled side. They know their jobs, they play for eachother. Bissouma, Dunk, Trossard, Lallana, Lamptey & Maupay are all really handy players and then they have others in the squad who many not be the same level but they do a job. They create so many chances, and if they had somebody who could even score 1 in 4 shots, they wouldn’t be ten without a win. 

Give potter that Leicester side and they wouldn’t have bottled top four two years running. Rodgers has a ceiling, and we have seen it. Potter, for me, has yet to reach his. 

I think with Graham Potter the real measure will come when he takes his next job. Nothing against Brighton but I think Tottenham with Harry Kane in the summer would have been a good measure to judge him. If he's stays at Brighton too long he could easily slip in to the trap becoming another Eddie Howe given how quickly opinions on managers change when they hit bad form.

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

No I agree Mike. He's off this summer from what I've heard but he's been nothing short of the perfect professional since he's been here and as you say, scored many crucial goals. 

He has never moaned about lack of game time and has always done a decent job whenever called upon. I've never really got this obsession with some of our fan base who do nothing but stag him off and can't wait for him to be sold?

He will never be starter for us but as you say, he is an excellent 4th/5th choice option.

Good luck to him at his next club.

Klopp certainly seemed to be putting him in the shop window in his post match interview on Match of the Day. Said something along the lines of 'i hope he finds a manager who plays him more than me'

• Administrator

@The Palace Fan @Rick @Devil-Dick Willie the issue I have with the fans wanting Potter over Rodgers is that I just don't see what Potter can give us that Rodgers wouldn't or can't. Rodgers has experience of that top level. Don't disagree that Potter gets his teams well-drilled and organised but so does Rodgers. They offer similar styles of play. I also don't think we're in a position, right now, to take a gamble on someone like Potter to get us challenging for top 4 again considering the stronger links were about a month ago. 

I think there's even more fuss over Potter because of the strong start they had. Now they haven't won in 10. Would that be acceptable for us? I very much doubt it. 

49 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Just seen Jota's miss :o

Unbelievable! Had 2 players central on the line and fucked it! 

10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Not a game to look forward too on MOTD2 so far.

We have been resilient but haven't created any chances.

Manchester United have worked the ball in the penalty area frequently but haven't really tested Guaita.

I'm expecting a more open second half.

It's been a pretty dreadful watch to be fair.

Sancho is finally looking like his confidence is growing at Old Trafford which is the only positive of the half for me.

Jesus Christ how are commentators so bad?

Ferneandez and James go for the ball, Fernandez catches it and James comes in late to the 50/50 and only hits Fernandez.

Not an issue within the game, unless they score from it, but really easy to admit when you’ve been wrong 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Jordan Ayew just missed a golden chance.

and now Man Utd lead through Fred of all people.

Palace should be liquidated for letting him score.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived