• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 2-1 Arsenal - Monday 6th December, 2021

football forum

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 6666 said:

The game management in this game has been very shit.

Kind of mental how Arsenal haven't really been in it at all in the second half. First half, I thought Everton were a bit better but it was close between them. Second half, it's really been all Everton.

I think Everton deserve the 3 points on this showing though. I think, considering all the pressure the players are under, they've shown a lot of heart and character in this performance.

• Subscriber

Was starting to resign myself to a draw which would have been a missed opportunity. A rare glimpse of the best of Everton. Not sure I'm buying into the immediate post-game narrative of Benitez masterminding that but it doesn't matter. A huge sigh of relief and something to get behind for a little while.

Arsenal really asked for that though. More than enough talent on that pitch to keep the ball and manage the game instead of time wasting for the last 20 minutes. Could have come away with a win despite not playing their best and it's one of the differences that remain between them and the top clubs.

18 minutes ago, shut up said:

Fully deserved. Arteta needs to get the sack. Hopeless 

I think given your investment and the fact you have no European football, at the very least you should finish 5th. I think that will be a good place for Arteta to finish. Anything below, he needs to go. 

Arsenal have a great young squad that a more experienced manager can get them back competing. 

• Subscriber

Gomes did really well when he came on, Richarlison proved why he is a talisman for this club again and Demarai Gray is starting to join him. Hopefully the manager and Lucas Digne manage to bury the hatchet and he's back in the team soon. A three man midfield with Gomes, Allan and Doucoure begins to look somewhat functional and with Calvert-Lewin back in a couple of weeks, it's probably Townsend that gets the chop for now to make a pretty strong front three. Work as hard as we did tonight and we'll end up being fine. We still need to get a right back though and a half decent signing in that department in January would be a miracle.

We still lack depth though and things could easily slide off the rails again with a couple of injuries. I'm not kidding myself in the fallout of that late winning goal that we're going to be happy with Benitez' tactics or the players' erratic levels of commitment and quality for the rest of the season but overall we should be able to push back on into the top half.

Still, the fact that that's going to be considered a success this season after the money we've spent means that pressure should be kept on the owner and the board regardless of tonight's failed 'protest' and the end of this winless run. 

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Gomes did really well when he came on, Richarlison proved why he is a talisman for this club again and Demarai Gray is starting to join him. Hopefully the manager and Lucas Digne manage to bury the hatchet and he's back in the team soon. A three man midfield with Gomes, Allan and Doucoure begins to look somewhat functional and with Calvert-Lewin back in a couple of weeks, it's probably Townsend that gets the chop for now to make a pretty strong front three. Work as hard as we did tonight and we'll end up being fine. We still need to get a right back though and a half decent signing in that department in January would be a miracle.

We still lack depth though and things could easily slide off the rails again with a couple of injuries. I'm not kidding myself in the fallout of that late winning goal that we're going to be happy with Benitez' tactics or the players' erratic levels of commitment and quality for the rest of the season but overall we should be able to push back on into the top half.

Still, the fact that that's going to be considered a success this season after the money we've spent means that pressure should be kept on the owner and the board regardless of tonight's failed 'protest' and the end of this winless run. 

How much can you spend on new players (without letting anyone go) under the FFP rules? Because isn't that a part of the reason why Rafa was barely given any money to spend this season?

Because you desperately need a right back. Coleman's rightfully an Everton legend and (probably) a good backup option and a good person to have in the dressing room - but he's too old and slow now to be relied on week-in-week-out.

Demari Gray is looking like an absolute bargain though. But I think depth is a bigger issue than the manager's tactics, tbh. Look how the injury crisis rocked Everton for the last 8 matches despite a pretty decent start to the season. I think you've got a pretty good first XI, definitely one that on paper should be able to contend for a Europa league spot imo - but there's not a lot of quality beyond that XI.

I don't think there's any easy fix for Everton - I don't think you can really spend too much without selling either Richarlison or DCL, which I don't think Everton should be wanting to do. Relying on players like Coleman, who's old and doesn't look as good as he used to be, or Anthony Gordon, who's young but... doesn't really do a whole lot tbh... is not going to get you higher up the table regardless of who the manager is.

But I think performances like that are definitely encouraging for you after that totally shite run you've had.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

That 27 people leaving at the 27th minute was the most "Everton aren't we" thing about the match

Yeah, I'll be honest I didn't get behind that movement. Banners are the way to go, turning your back on the team (even if you mean to show the middle finger to the board) is a bit shitty IMO. 

It worked well though, as the atmosphere was electric by those who stayed. Absolute limbs when Gray scored the winner, voice gone.

Just now, Whiskey said:

Yeah, I'll be honest I didn't get behind that movement. Banners are the way to go, turning your back on the team (even if you mean to show the middle finger to the board) is a bit shitty IMO. 

It worked well though, as the atmosphere was electric by those who stayed. Absolute limbs when Gray scored the winner, voice gone.

The atmosphere was by far the most positive I've seen at Goodison in a long time, judging by how it looked on TV. Which I thought was weird because after the past few weeks, I couldn't have imagined it being anything other than negative and toxic.

Good on ya, ya dirty blueshites 

I always get the impression that when Arsenal lose, there's no real characters in the dressing room reading the riot act to the rest of their team mates. Arteta takes the brunt of it but some players get away with murder.

They love to do all these dances, selfies and showing off on Snapchat and Instagram when they win but what about when they lose?

I mean, when you got your club captain liking Ronaldo's Instagram messages an hour after he's scored the goals that's beaten your own team the other night, what chance do you have?

Actual embarassment really.

Fair reflection of their performance tonight. Nobody seems to shoulder responsibility on the pitch.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dan said:

Where the fuck was this Gray for us? He's scored 60% of his goals he got for us, for Everton, in about 10% of the games.

It's been fascinating to see the "Everton, that" of Lookman tearing it up for Leicester and I suppose the "Leicester, that" of Gray tearing it up at Everton go head to head. We've definitely had the better of it so far but I still have to half-expect a Gray red card and a Lookman winner when we play each other soon. xD

I've watched that goal back about 30 times already since last night. It's mental I'd basically forgotten that feeling. Coleman grabbing Gray by the neck and Godfrey hulking out in front of the fans with the veins practically popping out of his forehead. Really gets the blood pumping, to say the least.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's been fascinating to see the "Everton, that" of Lookman tearing it up for Leicester and I suppose the "Leicester, that" of Gray tearing it up at Everton go head to head. We've definitely had the better of it so far but I still have to half-expect a Gray red card and a Lookman winner when we play each other soon. xD

I've watched that goal back about 30 times already since last night. It's mental I'd basically forgotten that feeling. Coleman grabbing Gray by the neck and Godfrey hulking out in front of the fans with the veins practically popping out of his forehead. Really gets the blood pumping, to say the least.

In before, @MUFC

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Gray is 100% scoring for you in that game. 

I can't remember Gray having more than 3-4 good influential games on the trot. And I know it's only been 6 months for Everton so far but it seems to be he shows the inconsistency for you as he did for us. 

Lookman has been okay for us but nothing special. Gets bullied off the ball too easily and has only had a handful of decent performances. 

• The title was changed to Everton 2-1 Arsenal - Monday 6th December, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived