talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 2-1 Arsenal - Monday 6th December, 2021

football forum

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Gray is 100% scoring for you in that game. 

I can't remember Gray having more than 3-4 good influential games on the trot. And I know it's only been 6 months for Everton so far but it seems to be he shows the inconsistency for you as he did for us. 

Lookman has been okay for us but nothing special. Gets bullied off the ball too easily and has only had a handful of decent performances. 

Did Gray get a good run of games with you lot? When I saw your games he was on the bench quite a bit.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Gray is 100% scoring for you in that game. 

I can't remember Gray having more than 3-4 good influential games on the trot. And I know it's only been 6 months for Everton so far but it seems to be he shows the inconsistency for you as he did for us. 

Lookman has been okay for us but nothing special. Gets bullied off the ball too easily and has only had a handful of decent performances. 

That's a good point in Gray, no doubt he can produce some wonderful play at times though he has never been consistent.

• Subscriber

Very harsh on Gray I think. 5 goals and 3 assists, averaging more than a goal contribution every 1.5 games. Shouldn't be sniffed at especially when his role is primarily about supplying chances and he's had... Rondon to work with for most of that run of games where things went a bit quiet. He plays in a team that routinely has below 40% possession and struggles to get out of their own half. On track to get double figures for goals, having a fantastic season so far however you spin it.

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Did Gray get a good run of games with you lot? When I saw your games he was on the bench quite a bit.

Not really. His attitude was always brought in to question. I think it says a lot that while he was here with us, he had about 3 or 4 managers with various styles of play and they still couldn't get a tune out of him, at least regularly.

He clearly had the talent and potential, and we'd see glimpses of it but never consistently. 3 or 4 good games, then a series of poor games. Before being brought back in off the bench, playing well in that appearance, earning a few starts, and then dropping off. Whether it was due to age, inexperience, attitude, approach who knows. But while he would sometimes play well, it was just not enough. 

If things have changed for him at Everton then fair play and good on him. 

• Subscriber

The lad's 25, younger than most of us on here nowadays. It's pretty normal for regular people to have an attitude shift in their early 20's. In fact, it's more strange how rarely it happens in footballers relatively speaking. So many of those who have attitude problems at a young age never really manage to address it. If Gray continues the way he has and hits his peak years as a highly-motivated and influential professional, then he'll be a rare case, and fair play to him indeed.

• The title was changed to Everton 2-1 Arsenal - Monday 6th December, 2021
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's been fascinating to see the "Everton, that" of Lookman tearing it up for Leicester and I suppose the "Leicester, that" of Gray tearing it up at Everton go head to head. We've definitely had the better of it so far but I still have to half-expect a Gray red card and a Lookman winner when we play each other soon. xD

I've watched that goal back about 30 times already since last night. It's mental I'd basically forgotten that feeling. Coleman grabbing Gray by the neck and Godfrey hulking out in front of the fans with the veins practically popping out of his forehead. Really gets the blood pumping, to say the least.

Lookman definitely hasn't tore it up for us. He's had the odd moment but been pretty much what I expected. He was absolutely woeful at Villa as well, like laughably bad.

I don't think he's an awful player but he isn't the answer. Maybe take him as a squad option but we can do far better I think as a starter.

Does feel written both will score in a couple of weeks. I do warn you Gray may end up trying to repeat that goal way too many times now but I'm almost bored of 'warning' against Gray before he goes and delivers. He's been significantly better for you so far.

7 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Lookman has been a disappointment. Remember seeing him for Everton reserves (I know reserves is probably a bad start) and he looked incredible, very good with the ball close to him and could beat a player. Went to Leipzig and did well, it's a shame really.

When Lookman first came he was unbelievable, but he strangely never got the minutes we all expected under several managers which suggested something was off behind the scenes. 

Shame, but seems like that initial spark has definitely gone out after flicking through Everton, Red Bull, Fulham and now Leicester.

I thought Lookman looked pretty good for Fulham last season.

When I say 'pretty good' I mean a bottom half Prem player that could have the potential to push on in a team with better players. Not a player who should be tearing it up at a team with the ambitions of Leicester City.

As a loan I guess Leicester City have nothing to lose for one season if it doesn't work out. It's better to loan the wrong player than to sign the wrong one on a hefty wage for the long term.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Lookman has been a disappointment. Remember seeing him for Everton reserves (I know reserves is probably a bad start) and he looked incredible, very good with the ball close to him and could beat a player. Went to Leipzig and did well, it's a shame really.

I remember thinking he was going to go on to become the next big English winger. I think he's got raw talent in spades, but whether he'll ever consistently show his talent... I guess that's the big question now.

19 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I thought Lookman looked pretty good for Fulham last season.

When I say 'pretty good' I mean a bottom half Prem player that could have the potential to push on in a team with better players. Not a player who should be tearing it up at a team with the ambitions of Leicester City.

As a loan I guess Leicester City have nothing to lose for one season if it doesn't work out. It's better to loan the wrong player than to sign the wrong one on a hefty wage for the long term.

I also thought he looked one of Fulham's best players and wondered if he would move to a better club.

Of course Leicester might not be the right club for him or he just needs more time to settle in,

• The topic was unpinned
On 06/12/2021 at 21:35, shut up said:

Haven't seen the replay for Everton's second. Was it onside?

I think there is a second line that they dont show on tv and it has to be past that one. I think I heard that but not 100% sure.  I watched it in the pub and it looked like his  foot was ahead of the white pitch markings so looked offside but I doubt the pitch markings are that straight. There is more leniency I think this season so it probably was. Didnt matter in the end.

• Subscriber

I was a little bit underwhelmed when we signed him. I mean when we did, it was him or nobody so I was for it but it just felt like Cengiz Under all over again - somebody who'll probably show glimpses but not go anywhere close to fixing our problem on the right wing, even more so given he's supposedly better on the left and we're sorted there. I don't mind him as an option but I want better starters. Berardi being linked again, now we're talking.

Archived