• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Michael Masi leaves the FIA

football forum

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

He will learn. The only cure for inexperience is experience. Starting with a new person wouldn't help that. I don't know if Charlie Whiting ever trained up a natural successor or not, he may well have and it may well have been Michael Masi. Seems like a good idea though.

Remember that Charlie Whiting is considered the 'gold standard' for race directors in hindsight. He was in the job for a long time and some properly farcical stuff happened on his watch over that time too.

I don't even know who could sack Michael Masi but doing so would be harsh. Doesn't mean I think he's very good though. I think he uses the red flag button far too readily and he's contradicted himself on some occasions in what has appeared to be an attempt to bring a swift and easy end to a situation, and that this approach sometimes leaves him lacking authority when communicating with some of the teams.

There are mitigating factors though. The new, safer barriers take more putting back together which explains more red flags and less safety car periods. We hear a lot more of him under pressure from the teams on the radio now that it's broadcast, which it never was before this season. And managing a bad tempered title fight with as many flash points as this one is never going to be easy. It's almost impossible for him to intervene properly in some scenarios without getting accused of fixing the championship so you can see why he takes a hands off approach a lot of the time.

To summarise, don't sack him, but he needs to get better at his job and hopefully when he's approaching retirement he has someone to follow him who's more trained up and prepared than Masi was when he followed Charlie Whiting.

• Subscriber

I hope we will see some changes next season, regardless if Masi stays or goes. 

They should ban team principals from trying to influence race director decisions on the radio. Them bickering about every on-track event during the race does my head in. It's completely unnecessary, and interferes with the decision making.

Be more thorough and consistent with how the rules are implemented. There shouldn't be any situations where a certain action is punished one week, but not even investigated the next one, it just creates controversy. If they want to continue changing stewards for every race, then at least ensure they are on the same page when it comes to the rule interpretation.

• Subscriber

I am also thinking that the "appeals" system in F1 needs to be more like tennis. You can have three unsuccessful appeals in the year then you're all out. It makes a mockery of the sport at times when you get as many appeals and talk of appeals as we have in the last few races.

Having at least a couple of the stewards stay the same every race sounds good to me as well.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I hope we will see some changes next season, regardless if Masi stays or goes. 

They should ban team principals from trying to influence race director decisions on the radio. Them bickering about every on-track event during the race does my head in. It's completely unnecessary, and interferes with the decision making.

Be more thorough and consistent with how the rules are implemented. There shouldn't be any situations where a certain action is punished one week, but not even investigated the next one, it just creates controversy. If they want to continue changing stewards for every race, then at least ensure they are on the same page when it comes to the rule interpretation.

I think for incidents you should be able to bring it to the attention of the race director. Say your bit only once and let the decision be made. After that you shouldn't be allowed to constantly badger on and on.

• Subscriber
Just now, MUFC said:

I think for incidents you should be able to bring it to the attention of the race director. Say your bit only once and let the decision be made. After that you shouldn't be allowed to constantly badger on and on.

Yeah I agree, although I'd make it only about serious incidents, not every instance of track limits breach, every overtake, every wheel on wheel battle. Horner and Toto have been whining like little bitches this year about everything they didn't like, it's disgraceful.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah I agree, although I'd make it only about serious incidents, not every instance of track limits breach, every overtake, every wheel on wheel battle. Horner and Toto have been whining like little bitches this year about everything they didn't like, it's disgraceful.

Do you not think it's always been like that though and the difference this year is that it's being broadcast? I imagine it's probably worse now because Masi seems to be arbitrarily open to being influenced, which I'm guessing wasn't the case with Charlie Whiting but we wouldn't know because we didn't get the radio back then.

You'd think though that during some of the closer title battles which involved controversy, like 2008, parts of 2010, 2013, and maybe when Ferrari ran Mercedes sort of close, things could get pretty heated like they have in the last couple of races.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Do you not think it's always been like that though and the difference this year is that it's being broadcast? I imagine it's probably worse now because Masi seems to be arbitrarily open to being influenced, which I'm guessing wasn't the case with Charlie Whiting but we wouldn't know because we didn't get the radio back then.

You'd think though that during some of the closer title battles which involved controversy, like 2008, parts of 2010, 2013, and maybe when Ferrari ran Mercedes sort of close, things could get pretty heated like they have in the last couple of races.

That's a good point, but it's just...too much? I could understand today, during the title decider, but they've been at it throughout the season. From what I've read, Charlie was firm and could keep the team principals in check. So this might be primarily a problem with indecisiveness/lack of authority by Masi, but it makes it look very bad, imo.

• Subscriber

I expect we'll see a different side to Max now that he's won a Championship and doesn't really have anything to prove. He will inevitably take over from Hamilton as the one to beat, even if that only happens after Lewis retires. The difference is, when Hamilton started he didn't really have that many peers who were perceived as having a high ceiling. Vettel is probably the only one around at the time you could have argued "he'll dethrone Hamilton as the man to beat". Alonso was obviously very good and established at the time and Rosberg emerged later on, but Seb was probably the only one you'd have looked at and gone "these two are the ones who are going to dominate now".

Where we are now, F1 will be just fine when Hamilton decides to hang up his overalls. Verstappen is the clear frontrunner right now but you've got Russell, Leclerc, maybe Sainz and Norris who you'd say could keep him honest over the course of a season in the right machinery. I know people have gone off Leclerc a bit, he's having a couple of years not dissimilar to Hamilton in 2009-2012 where he threatened to become one of THE superstars and now isn't necessarily beating his team-mate when they lack the machinery to compete. I'm not saying Leclerc is up there with Hamilton by the way. But I think if Ferrari produced a competitive car, you'd back him to be the one to be leading the charge just ahead of Sainz because he has the raw pace. Oscar Piastri doesn't look like he'll be too far off either, he's put together a ridiculous run in F2 and in F3 and Formula Renault before that. He'll surely be on the grid in 2023.

It'll be interesting to see how the rivalries develop over the coming years. Hamilton and Rosberg came into F1 as childhood friends and became the bitterest of enemies. It'll be interesting to see how the very friendly "Twitch quartet" start to cope when they're the ones fighting for the championship every year. Could even be in 2022.

3 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

I expect we'll see a different side to Max now that he's won a Championship and doesn't really have anything to prove. He will inevitably take over from Hamilton as the one to beat, even if that only happens after Lewis retires. The difference is, when Hamilton started he didn't really have that many peers who were perceived as having a high ceiling. Vettel is probably the only one around at the time you could have argued "he'll dethrone Hamilton as the man to beat". Alonso was obviously very good and established at the time and Rosberg emerged later on, but Seb was probably the only one you'd have looked at and gone "these two are the ones who are going to dominate now".

Where we are now, F1 will be just fine when Hamilton decides to hang up his overalls. Verstappen is the clear frontrunner right now but you've got Russell, Leclerc, maybe Sainz and Norris who you'd say could keep him honest over the course of a season in the right machinery. I know people have gone off Leclerc a bit, he's having a couple of years not dissimilar to Hamilton in 2009-2012 where he threatened to become one of THE superstars and now isn't necessarily beating his team-mate when they lack the machinery to compete. I'm not saying Leclerc is up there with Hamilton by the way. But I think if Ferrari produced a competitive car, you'd back him to be the one to be leading the charge just ahead of Sainz because he has the raw pace. Oscar Piastri doesn't look like he'll be too far off either, he's put together a ridiculous run in F2 and in F3 and Formula Renault before that. He'll surely be on the grid in 2023.

It'll be interesting to see how the rivalries develop over the coming years. Hamilton and Rosberg came into F1 as childhood friends and became the bitterest of enemies. It'll be interesting to see how the very friendly "Twitch quartet" start to cope when they're the ones fighting for the championship every year. Could even be in 2022.

The future is interesting. Will Max now be different or is it in nature to continue to drive like he does? After the great Schuey won back to back titles he still had the incidents with Hill and Villeneuve and others which Mika often complained about. 

The names you mentioned Charles, Norris and Sainz are the frontrunners. Lets say Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and RB are close as far as machinery is concerned. I think it'll come down to who isn't afraid to yeild to Max. Who'll have the balls to go toe to toe without being intimidated. Do you remember Austria when Charles and MAx had that epic battle? Max eventually won the race. Charles was pissed off and thought he was pushed off track. Anyway, what happened for the remainder of the season was interesting. Most notably at Silverstone where Charles had a fuck you attitude towards Max. He went toe to toe with him for shit load of laps. He stood up to him almost saying I'm not backing down like I did in Austria. Also you never know, Ricciardo another who went at it with Max. He may be more up to scratch with the new car next year. I wouldn't mind seeing him and Max battle because at RB they were great to watch. 

Again how good will RB be next year? They've put so much into this season. I hope they don't start the next year or 2 on the back foot trying to play catch-up. 

You know who I can see a future rivalry between? Something tells me there'll be battle blood between MAx and Russell. After the race on Sunday, Russell on social media put in capital letters how what happened was unacceptable. Obviously he's going to Merc so may just be doing some sucking-up. But I noticed a few things during the season between them both. Kind of sly digs or maybe just opinions. Max was saying that Russell's performances in the Williams have been overhyped because the car isn't as bad as people make it out to be. There is another reason, providing RB and MErc are similar like this season. Now we've seen Lewis when younger, he was erratic at times and had had a season of crashing with MAssa. I feel like Russell joining a new team will be eager to impress. I wouldn't be surprised if he never yields against MAx, this happens when many drivers are young and experienced. Who knows, MAx and Russell colliding might play into Lewis's hands. But I feel they may have a tense rivalry. 

There is another scenario. If Merc, RB, Ferrari and McLaren are quite close. This will also create inter team rivalries. This can cause issues within the team as you stated with Nico and Lewis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Michael Masi leaves the FIA

Archived