talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Getting to a Scottish game (from London)

Hi all 

Thinking of a ground hop to a Scottish game some point this, or more likely next, season. I'm based near London, what would be the simpler grounds (doesn't necessarily need to be a SPL club) to get to from the London area? By this I mean that it could be done in a day and not require an overnight stay (if there's any grounds that meet that criteria). 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Depends a) how you'll be travelling and b) where you're destination is?

Glasgow or Edinburgh? Or a smaller place. I ask as flight is probably your best bet - less than an hour on plane which is suitable for a Saturday 3pm game. I know Easyjet fly to the bigger cities aforementioned, as well as Aberdeen.

A quick search on Easyjet allows you to fly from Gatwick to Edinburgh on Saturday 10th September - outbound 09:10, return 20.45.

Enough time to get to the match (if at 3pm) and return back to the airport (depending on where you go, but I'm sure public transport will allow). 

I know it's easy to get to Tynecastle from Edinburgh Airport, and a bit longer to the other side of the city to go to Hibs.

Or there's Livingston travelling west from Edinburgh - approx 30mins-1hr?

26 minutes ago, Stan said:

Depends a) how you'll be travelling and b) where you're destination is?

Glasgow or Edinburgh? Or a smaller place. I ask as flight is probably your best bet - less than an hour on plane which is suitable for a Saturday 3pm game. I know Easyjet fly to the bigger cities aforementioned, as well as Aberdeen.

A quick search on Easyjet allows you to fly from Gatwick to Edinburgh on Saturday 10th September - outbound 09:10, return 20.45.

Enough time to get to the match (if at 3pm) and return back to the airport (depending on where you go, but I'm sure public transport will allow). 

I know it's easy to get to Tynecastle from Edinburgh Airport, and a bit longer to the other side of the city to go to Hibs.

Or there's Livingston travelling west from Edinburgh - approx 30mins-1hr?

I would be going by train. Ideally I'd go there and back on the same day (having done away days I'm used to being back home close to midnight) although if that's impractical I'm not averse to doing an overnight stay down there. 

Tynecastle and Easter Road are both really easily accessible in Edinburgh. 

They're within a pretty easy walk from the two major train stations in Edinburgh.

Celtic Park is pretty easy to get to from Glasgow Central station,  but you have to take an additional train out to Dalmarnock. Ibrox is a bit easier since you can use the super simple subway system to get to Govan.

• Subscriber
On 07/12/2021 at 11:17, Ploughendplonker said:

Hi all 

Thinking of a ground hop to a Scottish game some point this, or more likely next, season. I'm based near London, what would be the simpler grounds (doesn't necessarily need to be a SPL club) to get to from the London area? By this I mean that it could be done in a day and not require an overnight stay (if there's any grounds that meet that criteria). 

Your best bet is what @Inverted mentioned, Tynecastle (Hearts ground) or Easter Road (Hibees), easier travelling distance from Edinburgh Waverly.

We live just behind Easter Road so if you decide to come up let me know and I can meet you at Waverly and show you the way or better still our son is a Hearts supporter and goes to the games and maybe he could meet you and show you the way too, he is going there this week to watch the Hearts v Rangers game. 

On 07/12/2021 at 12:46, Its only Ray Parlour said:

I've done a few weekends in Scotland and took in a few games, I went to Glasgow by train from Euston, it took around 4 hours 30 minutes.  Went to see 2 games,  Rangers v Motherwell and Patrick thistle v Kilmarnock.

Yes, 4hr 30 was about the time I was thinking. Makes me think it could be done in the day, whilst at the same time getting back at a reasonable hour. 

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Your best bet is what @Inverted mentioned, Tynecastle (Hearts ground) or Easter Road (Hibees), easier travelling distance from Edinburgh Waverly.

We live just behind Easter Road so if you decide to come up let me know and I can meet you at Waverly and show you the way or better still our son is a Hearts supporter and goes to the games and maybe he could meet you and show you the way too, he is going there this week to watch the Hearts v Rangers game. 

Yes, as I don't really follow any of the Old Firm clubs either Hearts or Hibernian would be worth a trip. May well end up waiting until next season to do it, but with a blank weekend in early February (plus potentially another in mid January) will definitely look to do a groundhop of some kind. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Yes, as I don't really follow any of the Old Firm clubs either Hearts or Hibernian would be worth a trip. May well end up waiting until next season to do it, but with a blank weekend in early February (plus potentially another in mid January) will definitely look to do a groundhop of some kind. 

Just let me know when and either my laddie or myself will meet you if you want or a bus journey takes around 30 minutes or a taxi less.

Not saying for sure but our laddie and his son (our grandson) are Hearts supporters and he might be able to get you a ticket and you could go to a Jambo game with him, as I said in my previous post they are going to the Hearts v Rangers game this Saturday and he asked me if I wanted to go with them, he was taking the piss really as I am a Rangers supporter and I told him to piss off. xD

I can just imagine me in my Gers top smack bang in the middle of a load of Jambo supporters, they would have my guts for garters. :eek: 

Hibernian (Easter Road)

download.png 

Hearts of Midlothian

download (1).png

Archived