talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

(EL) Group C - Matchday 6 - Thursday 9th December, 2021

football forum

all kick-offs 17.45 (GMT)

Napoli vs Leicester City

Legia Warsaw vs Spartak Moscow

image.png

- To finish top, Leicester need to draw and hope Spartak don't win. They will finish 2nd if they lose and Spartak draw, or 3rd if they lose and Spartak win
- Spartak need to win to finish top, and hope Leicester lose
- Napoli need to win and hope Spartak don't win to finish top. If they win and Spartak win, they'll finish 2nd as they have an inferior H2H.
- Legia's best outcome is finishing 2nd, and need to win and hope Napoli win or draw in order to do so. 

Will they do the same thing for this as they do for the CL?? you know, throw the losing cast offs that have the best placed third finish into the the next competition down??? 

Are you Leicester lot bothered if you go out of this or would you prefer a good run at it?? 

Well that's disappointing. 

41 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Are you Leicester lot bothered if you go out of this or would you prefer a good run at it?? 

Might as well try and win any competition we enter but it's a bit of a joke it's even come to this. We should be qualifying from this group. 

Worrying even more so because players will want to be playing in at least the Europa League, so wonder how many will be targeting moves to EL or CL clubs now. 

It's worrying how shite our defending continues to be. We are just so weak and disorganised. 

Absolute dross. What an embarrassment not finishing above this dog shit Spartak Moscow side over six games.

We got what we deserved over the course of the group. I maintain we're the softest defence in the top flight. The consistency of our problems are something else. There's no confidence at all, we fold like a pack of cards every time we're attacked.

Edited by Dan

I normally think Rodgers doesn't take European football too seriously (which, honestly, I think is a little bizarre) - but that XI he put out today indicates to me that he was very much trying to get a good result here.

But really, Leicester shouldn't have been in a position where they'd have to go away to Napoli - the one other side I'd have expected to go through with that group - in the last game and try to get through. That loss to Legia Warsaw ended up being very decisive. And that draw at home to Spartak also was not ideal (rule #1 in Europe, if you want to do well, is always: win your home games) regardless of the 3-4 win away against them.

And nothing against Spartak - but they're about as mid-table as it gets in the Russian Premier League currently. Leicester might be in bad form, but I'd expect them to qualify over them.

I imagine I'd be gutted if I were a Leicester fan. I'm not sure they should have been in a position where it was do-or-die against Napoli (who I think are the best side in that group by a bit) in order to get through... but it's always disappointing to fail to clear a hurdle.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I normally think Rodgers doesn't take European football too seriously (which, honestly, I think is a little bizarre) - but that XI he put out today indicates to me that he was very much trying to get a good result here.

But really, Leicester shouldn't have been in a position where they'd have to go away to Napoli - the one other side I'd have expected to go through with that group - in the last game and try to get through. That loss to Legia Warsaw ended up being very decisive. And that draw at home to Spartak also was not ideal (rule #1 in Europe, if you want to do well, is always: win your home games) regardless of the 3-4 win away against them.

And nothing against Spartak - but they're about as mid-table as it gets in the Russian Premier League currently. Leicester might be in bad form, but I'd expect them to qualify over them.

I imagine I'd be gutted if I were a Leicester fan. I'm not sure they should have been in a position where it was do-or-die against Napoli (who I think are the best side in that group by a bit) in order to get through... but it's always disappointing to fail to clear a hurdle.

It's the fact it was a weakened Napoli side as well. But our dog shit defence would concede against a weakened Serie D side at this rate to be honest. I think it's gone beyond what Rodgers can do in terms of defence. He's tried a back 3 or back 4 to suit injuries or play to strengths but Ryan Bertrand as a signing in summer goes down as a terrible bit of business. I was willing to give him a chance but tonight showed he's just not bothered. Amateur defending and just sheer laziness for the most part. I actively want Thomas not to learn from him. 

Going forward we're okay but even then that could be improved so much more. We're stunted because every single fucking game we're making life difficult for ourselves with ineffective and amateur defending. We give ourselves too much to do. Regularly going into games where we already know we have to score at least twice to win games. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's the fact it was a weakened Napoli side as well. But our dog shit defence would concede against a weakened Serie D side at this rate to be honest. I think it's gone beyond what Rodgers can do in terms of defence. He's tried a back 3 or back 4 to suit injuries or play to strengths but Ryan Bertrand as a signing in summer goes down as a terrible bit of business. I was willing to give him a chance but tonight showed he's just not bothered. Amateur defending and just sheer laziness for the most part. I actively want Thomas not to learn from him. 

Going forward we're okay but even then that could be improved so much more. We're stunted because every single fucking game we're making life difficult for ourselves with ineffective and amateur defending. We give ourselves too much to do. Regularly going into games where we already know we have to score at least twice to win games. 

I'm seeing some sad parallels between the end of his tenure with us and this tbh. Honestly same with that recent match against Villa - and those are the only 2 Leicester matches I've watched in the month or so... but I couldn't help but think "this seems eerily familiar."

Do you have a DoF or is Rodgers making signings by himself? Regardless, there were quite a few players he signed that looked absolutely lost at the end of his time with us that pretty quickly looked much better once a new manager was in. He was a part of our transfer committee (that he'd blamed the "bad" signings on), but many of those players were actually quite good and were just being used in a system that didn't really fit those players.

Having said that, I'm not so sure if you sack Rodgers you'll be able to upgrade quite in the same way as we did in getting Klopp.

Hopefully Rodgers has learned a bit and can stop this rot setting in and turn things around - I feel he's learned a lot since leaving us, but still so many of the problems he's shown when things aren't going well are still there.

If he doesn't turn it around though, things could get quite ugly for you before he's sacked. When things are good under Rodgers, they're quite good (granted, never he hit the heights I'd hope we'd have hit with him - but he did really well at Celtic, although I think in that era of Scottish football anyone halfway decent would do really well with Celtic)... when things go bad under him though, boy do they go fucking bad. That last season (and a few extra months because we were waiting for Klopp to end his sabbatical) under him were absolutely fucking abysmal.

I don't expect us to go and roll Napoli over. It's a tough fixture regardless. But the abject way we fell apart defensively yet again. I honestly can't remember a Leicester side so bad at the back and I've seen us in League One. These aren't untalented defenders. It's absolutely piss poor lack of organisation.

The real fuck ups in this group were losing against this absolutely honking Legia side back in September and drawing at home to Spartak. I find it incredible that Spartak have somehow won this group. I thought they were dire in both games against us.

The way we keep dropping out of things though, the manner of it, it's absolutely ridiculous. I don't think it's a coincidence. I've no faith in us to go very far in the Conference League either. As demonstrated in this group (and vs Slavia last season), a little organisation and you've got a fighting chance against us.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Oh and Ryan Bertrand can get the fuck out of here immediately. I'd rip his contract up tonight. I'd genuinely sooner play Albrighton at left back.

I'm actually very disappointed in him. Stealing a living with us. Must have been laughing when he got that contract offer in summer. Expected so much more from an experienced professional. 

People have criticised Vestergaard unfairly in my opinion but Bertrand has shown square root of fuck all and last night was final straw for me. Pathetic performance. 

9 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm actually very disappointed in him. Stealing a living with us. Must have been laughing when he got that contract offer in summer. Expected so much more from an experienced professional. 

People have criticised Vestergaard unfairly in my opinion but Bertrand has shown square root of fuck all and last night was final straw for me. Pathetic performance. 

Seen somebody on FT who knows a Southampton fan saying his drop off has been absolutely dramatic and I'm seeing it reflected here. Lack of talent can be forgiven but his mistakes have been so abject I just don't think he's even slightly bothered. I'd have Fuchs back over him even now.

When we signed Bertrand I thought it made sense but I don't think I appreciated quite how bad he's actually become. Think we need to try again in January with a left back and centre back. Once again we're in a position where I want Soyuncu given some time out and we aren't even capable of doing that without throwing in 17 year old Ben Nelson - and I'd rather not throw a 17 year old into this defensive mess.