talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nat Phillips - Bournemouth Loan

football forum

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/west-ham-consider-january-move-for-liverpool-defender-nat-phillips-as-david-moyes-targets-cover-for-kurt-zouma/ar-AARBnQq?ocid=uxbndlbing&pfr=1

According to the... Evening Standard... so I dunno how accurate that is.

Tbh, I think he's a bit underrated - he came through massively last year when he ended up our most senior defender. Looked miles better than Kabak and Williams (and I don't think Ben Davies ever took to the pitch in that injury crisis). I don't think he's good enough to start ahead of the 4 CBs ahead of him, but I do think he's a pretty good defender that would do well at another club where he gets more regular first team football.

I think West Ham would be a good move for him.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Nat Phillips - West Ham Interested

Fair play to him if he ends up getting a move like that. I don't think any of us would have had him even getting linked with clubs like that 12 months ago.

Not sure how his current injury changes things for him for a January move though.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Fair play to him if he ends up getting a move like that. I don't think any of us would have had him even getting linked with clubs like that 12 months ago.

Not sure how his current injury changes things for him for a January move though.

I dunno if the wear and tear clubs worry about with injuries is really present with a broken cheekbone, tbf. If clubs like West Ham are genuinely interested in him, I can't see them being put off by that.

Although, I thought his head was indestructible given the way he fucking loves heading things - so I was surprised to see he broke a bone in his head xD

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

£15m?! Wow.

Not sure I'd pay that for a 24 year old lad with 17 games under his belt. I thought he did ok but that's too much IMO.

But I'm sure someone probably would in this day and age. I just can't believe he'd fetch £15m quid. Seems so daft but Liverpool have a good recent history of getting good returns for those fringe players that aren't quite going to make it there.

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

£15m?! Wow.

Not sure I'd pay that for a 24 year old lad with 17 games under his belt. I thought he did ok but that's too much IMO.

But I'm sure someone probably would in this day and age. I just can't believe he'd fetch £15m quid. Seems so daft but Liverpool have a good recent history of getting good returns for those fringe players that aren't quite going to make it there.

Make sure you don't say anything like that on social media, you'll have about 20 people on you in a flash jumping to his defence! xD There was so many who overrated him last season.

He did himself proud last season with where he had come from and how he stepped up in a very difficult period but we'd be very lucky to get that, I agree. I think they're just hoping someone gets desperate late in the window to squeeze a bit more out of someone for him.

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

£15m?! Wow.

I think he'd have a lot more matches for us if he was the sort of defender that was better on the ball - when he played a lot at the second half of last season he sort of added a bit of that to his game... but compared to VVD (who I hope can return to the player he was before Pickford decided to be a dangerous idiot - he's still good, but he's not really the same level of excellence), Matip, Gomez, and now Konate it's a massive dropoff his ability in that regard.

And in terms of pace... he doesn't have much of that, which isn't great for us wanting to play with a high line (and we pretty much always look to play with a high backline).

But unlike players like say Ibe (who was just very fast) or Solanke (who I think has quality, but wasn't mentally ready for first team football in the premier league), Nat Phillips showed a lot of quality imo in the second half of last season. He's got the right sort of attributes to be a good defender and he's got the right sort of mentality to play in a top flight league. I think it says something about him as a player when last season most people probably expected him to be on his way out, but by the end of the season I was more than comfortable with Nat Phillips as 4th or 5th choice.

In this day and age, £15m for an English player under 24 who's played well when called upon (and I think his performances surprised a lot of people - fans and even the coaching staff) seems like a pretty decent asking price. I wouldn't be surprised if what he goes for ends up being between the £7m bids that have supposedly been made and the £15m asking price though.

I dunno how much Kabak went to Norwich for... but having seen them both play together last season, I'd say that Phillips is at least twice the player so I'd expect him to go for around at least twice the price. And the loan deal we had with Schalke said we had the option to buy him for £18m (which would have been a bad deal). So if Kabak could have been worth more than £15m before the beginning of last season... I think it's reasonable a better proven to be the player would be valued around £15m considering I think it's generally agreed Kabak is not worth £18m now.

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

£15m?! Wow.

Tbf, Howe is likely to give Liverpool £20m.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is in for Phillips?

Liverpool, GOAL can reveal, turned down an offer from Watford for Phillips earlier this month. 

The Hornets wanted to take the former Bolton man on loan until the end of the season, with an obligation to make the move permanent should they avoid relegation.

Liverpool though are keen for a straight sale, and they are insisting their valuation of £15 million ($20m) is fair. 

Serie A side Napoli were another side to express interest, but instead chose to sign Axel Tuanzebe on loan from Manchester United, while West Ham are long-term admirers but would prefer to sign a centre-back capable of providing additional cover on the left if possible.

Burnley may be a possibility, should Newcastle firm up their interest in James Tarkowski, while Phillips also has suitors in the Bundesliga.

Liverpool long term plan. 

Step 1, sell Kabak and Phillips, Origi and Ox

Step 2. Buy 1 player to replace 4. 

Step 3. Gat 2 injuries

Step 4. "OMG an UNPRECEDENTED injury crisis, if only we had depth... But we don't have the money of other clubs wahhh fucking wahhh"

Step 5. Don't win league. 

40 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Step 3. Gat 2 injuries

Step 4. "OMG an UNPRECEDENTED injury crisis, if only we had depth... But we don't have the money of other clubs wahhh fucking wahhh"

Kabak has never been our player? 

The rest of your post is inaccurate shite :hh:

On 19/01/2022 at 03:12, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Step 3. Gat 2 injuries

We replaced Kabak (who is a pretty shit player tbh) with Kounate though. Phillips is our 5th choice CB now… like he was last season…

Meanwhile last season we lost all 4 starting CBs to injury, then for a chunk of a season lost the midfielders we were using as cover at the back - this season we’ve seen fans of other clubs lamenting their injury crisis while still having players I’ve heard of available to play in positions like CB… and asking the league for postponements xD

• The title was changed to Nat Phillips - Bournemouth Loan

Archived