• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 2022 - Preview Thread

football forum

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Two teams announcing their launch dates today.

Mercedes - 18 February

Red Bull - 

Ferrari - 17 February

McLaren - 11 February

Alpine - 21 February

Alpha Tauri - 14 February

Aston Martin - 10 February

Williams - 

Alfa Romeo - 

Haas - 

• Subscriber

Has there been any news or update on if Lewis will return?

Just seen the bookies odds on the drivers title. 

I think most fans ITK expect Ferrari to be closer than last year. I do think that it has the potential to be the most open season in years. 

I really wouldn’t be shocked to see the torch handed over to George from Lewis and George win the title. It’s going to be a whole different game with him as his teammate as opposed to Bottas. However I do think Lewis will raise his game, he thrives on the challenges and that’s when we see the best of him. It’s just with his age and all he’s achieved and with how 2021 ended. It’s going to take a monumental effort from him to get a number 8.66C83447-7FC8-4CBC-90CC-79FB1690B497.jpeg

I would really like Perez to challenge to be honest, less of a Valteri role and aiding Max, to be winning races and challenging. 40/1 on him seems massive. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

Just seen the bookies odds on the drivers title. 

I think most fans ITK expect Ferrari to be closer than last year. I do think that it has the potential to be the most open season in years. 

I really wouldn’t be shocked to see the torch handed over to George from Lewis and George win the title. It’s going to be a whole different game with him as his teammate as opposed to Bottas. However I do think Lewis will raise his game, he thrives on the challenges and that’s when we see the best of him. It’s just with his age and all he’s achieved and with how 2021 ended. It’s going to take a monumental effort from him to get a number 8.66C83447-7FC8-4CBC-90CC-79FB1690B497.jpeg

It's surprising we haven't heard anything yet but I still think if he was going to quit he wouldn't leave it this late and fuck Mercedes over after the partnership they've had. I think we'd have at least heard some rumblings about Mercedes getting another driver on standby in case Hamilton doesn't come back if it was a realistic possibility. I genuinely think there's an operation between Hamilton and the team to remain tight-lipped and keep F1 management and the FIA nervous and more likely to take their investigation and review of what happened in Abu Dhabi seriously.

The FIA have started their investigation which is one of the things that will appease Mercedes and Hamilton. I don't know what they're potentially trying to achieve though.

On the title odds, people only have hunches. I don't think there's a clear favourite. I'd never expect Mercedes to be too far off the top and I think it's more likely Red Bull will struggle of the two this year. I also think Ferrari and McLaren will continue to creep forward, and then there's always a chance one of the other teams could come out of nowhere with the new regulations, most likely Alpine or Aston Martin. It's very open which means, if you're so minded, it could be worth putting a few quid on the likes of Leclerc, Alonso or Vettel at the odds they're currently at.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

It's surprising we haven't heard anything yet but I still think if he was going to quit he wouldn't leave it this late and fuck Mercedes over after the partnership they've had. I think we'd have at least heard some rumblings about Mercedes getting another driver on standby in case Hamilton doesn't come back if it was a realistic possibility. I genuinely think there's an operation between Hamilton and the team to remain tight-lipped and keep F1 management and the FIA nervous and more likely to take their investigation and review of what happened in Abu Dhabi seriously.

The FIA have started their investigation which is one of the things that will appease Mercedes and Hamilton. I don't know what they're potentially trying to achieve though.

On the title odds, people only have hunches. I don't think there's a clear favourite. I'd never expect Mercedes to be too far off the top and I think it's more likely Red Bull will struggle of the two this year. I also think Ferrari and McLaren will continue to creep forward, and then there's always a chance one of the other teams could come out of nowhere with the new regulations, most likely Alpine or Aston Martin. It's very open which means, if you're so minded, it could be worth putting a few quid on the likes of Leclerc, Alonso or Vettel at the odds they're currently at.

Cracking post as always mate, spot on and agree with all you’ve said.

• Subscriber

There were periods over last season where RB were quicker and periods where MErc were quicker, especially the last 4 races. Over the course of the season I had the cars even.

Regarding Lewis, even so he never won the title. Believe it or not he went up in my estimation. I'll give him credit for battling to the end at his age. There were mistakes by him but overall I think he put a good battle in over the course of the season. 

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Mercedes and Red Bull cars have both failed crash tests apparently. Nothing of serious note but also not ideal for them.

Both rumours come from Motorsport Italy, who have been posting a lot of unsubstantiated stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's a load of bollocks.

Mercedes have apparently refuted it already:

"According to Motorsport.com, Mercedes had failed the crash test for the new Formula 1 season, but Mercedes told GPBlog that this is false: "We completed homologation several weeks ago."  They did pass the test and have already received approval from the FIA and Formula One. In addition, a side crash test would no longer be an obligation under the rules, as the relevant parts are standard. Mercedes is therefore ready to present the new Mercedes W13 on February 18." https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/103706/not-just-red-bull-mercedes-also-failed-crash-test.html

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, MUFC said:

There were periods over last season where RB were quicker and periods where MErc were quicker, especially the last 4 races. Over the course of the season I had the cars even.

Regarding Lewis, even so he never won the title. Believe it or not he went up in my estimation. I'll give him credit for battling to the end at his age. There were mistakes by him but overall I think he put a good battle in over the course of the season. 

I don't know if it's a budget thing or just superior talent and efficiency but Mercedes have been able to annihilate the competition in the development race pretty much every year during the hybrid era. 2017-18 they clinched the titles with races to spare after being neck and neck with Vettel and Ferrari for the first third/half of the year and last year they had comfortably the faster car for most of the second half of the year. The races they lost to Verstappen were Belgium, which came down to a wet qualifying, Dutch and US Grands Prix, Hamilton was mere seconds behind Max and could easily have won, Mexico was the only one they genuinely dominated then Abu Dhabi had that freak finish. It's an absolute myth that the two cars were neck and neck from the midpoint of last year. Mercedes locked out the front row in Hungary and from that point had the fastest or joint fastest car at every race apart from Mexico.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RondónEFC said:

I don't know if it's a budget thing or just superior talent and efficiency but Mercedes have been able to annihilate the competition in the development race pretty much every year during the hybrid era. 2017-18 they clinched the titles with races to spare after being neck and neck with Vettel and Ferrari for the first third/half of the year and last year they had comfortably the faster car for most of the second half of the year. The races they lost to Verstappen were Belgium, which came down to a wet qualifying, Dutch and US Grands Prix, Hamilton was mere seconds behind Max and could easily have won, Mexico was the only one they genuinely dominated then Abu Dhabi had that freak finish. It's an absolute myth that the two cars were neck and neck from the midpoint of last year. Mercedes locked out the front row in Hungary and from that point had the fastest or joint fastest car at every race apart from Mexico.

I'd say the last 4 races were 100% certain. We can't say what would have happened in Belgium due to the rain, but Max was quickest in 2 practice  sessions even so practice doesn't tell the full story. He was leading in Italy till Lewis come out of the pits and they collided. Even so Max won the USA GP, Lewis was closing in but never got within DRS. But during the time Lewis was leading in USA, MAx was able to stay within DRS for the duration of that stint. Personally I think it was 50/50 throughout the season.

• Subscriber
On 30/01/2022 at 15:44, JoshBRFC said:

Mercedes have uploaded a video on Weibo (Chinese social media) with Hamilton and Russell wishing their fans a Happy Chinese New Year recently. Him taking part in team marketing activities is probably a good indication that things are more or less back to normal.

• Subscriber

Alfa Romeo will unveil their car driven by Bottas and Zhou toward the end of the month.

We now know 7 out of 10 launch dates. Needless to say, most eyes are now on Milton Keynes...

Mercedes - 18 February

Red Bull - 

Ferrari - 17 February

McLaren - 11 February

Alpine - 21 February

Alpha Tauri - 14 February

Aston Martin - 10 February

Williams - 

Alfa Romeo - 27 February

Haas - 

Archived