talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Considering 7.45pm Saturday Matches

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is a brilliant idea from a football fan perspective.  I got used to it while living in Spain for years and over there it was great because you could go straight out after the game with your mates or if not going to the game you could watch it in a bar with them and then continue your night.  Blinding idea although would go straight into competition with La Liga as that's their premium game time since decades.

10 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

It may work in Spain, but in England they actually have away supporters at matches.

They have away supporters in Spain too.  over 3,000 tend to travel for Barça and I won't even say how many travel for Atlético Madrid...  The best away support in Spain is Sporting Gijón though who always have to ask for extra tickets.  I don't know what gave you the impression fans don't travel in Spain.

56 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

They have away supporters in Spain too.  over 3,000 tend to travel for Barça and I won't even say how many travel for Atlético Madrid...  The best away support in Spain is Sporting Gijón though who always have to ask for extra tickets.  I don't know what gave you the impression fans don't travel in Spain.

Because they don't. He's right, in La Liga, you always see the away fans sections sparse.

There might be the odd game here or there and maybe one of two teams that take pride in a bigvaway following but in the main they don't travel. Even Madrid derbies they would rather be watching it on the corner of a bar or whatever than taking a big crowd.

Plus the clubs like to save on police costs by offering less tickets i believe. 

Not really sure if it myself. Friday Night Football massively flopped for me, I don't know if Saturday's would be much better from a marketing perspective. It would only benefit travelling fans who don't need to take a day off work to travel but I don't think it's a big game changer. 

Anyway, the plus point of Saturday evening is obviously that most people would have Sunday to fall back on if coming back late, rather than straight to work on a Monday so there's a bit of flexibility. Personally would rather we just had an extra 3pm game earlier in the day. They are slowly dying to death.

This is obviously a lot more appealing than the proposed 11am start they are touting

The only down side I suppose is the travelling fans having to get themselves back home after the match but it cant be much worse than a Monday night game that kicks off at 8 

As Lucas pointed out, I think the Friday & Monday games don't seem to have that draw for me but a late evening kick off on a Saturday would be ok

36 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Because they don't. He's right, in La Liga, you always see the away fans sections sparse.

There might be the odd game here or there and maybe one of two teams that take pride in a bigvaway following but in the main they don't travel. Even Madrid derbies they would rather be watching it on the corner of a bar or whatever than taking a big crowd.

Plus the clubs like to save on police costs by offering less tickets i believe. 

Not really sure if it myself. Friday Night Football massively flopped for me, I don't know if Saturday's would be much better from a marketing perspective. It would only benefit travelling fans who don't need to take a day off work to travel but I don't think it's a big game changer. 

Anyway, the plus point of Saturday evening is obviously that most people would have Sunday to fall back on if coming back late, rather than straight to work on a Monday so there's a bit of flexibility. Personally would rather we just had an extra 3pm game earlier in the day. They are slowly dying to death.

Some clubs don't have too many travelling fans but on the main there are many clubs that have high following of crowds like Deportivo La Coruña (their games are always high risk by local police when travelling), Real Betis, Sevilla, Barcelona, Sporting Gijón, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Rayo Vallecano and Atlético Madrid all have 3,000+ going to away games and even if they can't get tickets, they travel anyway which is a nightmare for the policing authorities.  I know, because I've lived there for 10 years and travelled as well as going to home games (Valencia) obviously.  Curiously for the size of the club, Valencia don't have a tradition of a mass travelling brigade!

Fans run their business in Spanish football with something that's called a "Peña" and these "Peñas" are the ones that organise everything to do with travelling away and the tickets...  The clubs themselves finance these "Peñas" and I can guarantee you they have thousands of members for each club.  Depending on the risk level of the game, the travelling fans will be dispersed around the stadium and mixed with the away section being lightly populated which is what you observe on tv.  The same happens in Italy.

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

To be fair away fans have much further to travel in Spain as well which makes it harder. 

It may work in Spain but from my experiences, the Spanish are a lot more civilised and relaxed, whereas Brits go out and drink as if it's some sort of competition.

Adding late kick-off's will only mean some will see it as a competition as to who can be the most bladdered by 7.45pm, which is only going to cause trouble. 

Also, do the police really want thousands of people pouring out of a ground on Saturday nights in places like Newcastle, where the ground is pretty central?

Archived