talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Sign Jordan Pickford

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few clauses in the deal to get it up to £30 million but they'll be dependent on success so hopefully we end up giving them it. 

Happy with it, if it's pushed over the line. Could be our number one for the next 10 years and immediately addresses the weakest point of our squad. 

Just now, HK85 said:

Absolutely. The two we have now are barely Championship level standard. 

He did so well for Sunderland and they were beyond shit, good signing and the fee isn't too big as i believe it will be a lenghty contract and he can be your number one for years to come.

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

I never understand why people are hesitant to spend on a keeper or defender. Surely preventing goals is as important as scoring them?

This, i find it hilarious that one forward who scores goals is four or five times more expensive than a defender or a keeper who are equally important. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I never understand why people are hesitant to spend on a keeper or defender. Surely preventing goals is as important as scoring them?

Of course not. We get slated every time De Gea saves us because he's not part of our team apparently......

2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Goalscorers are harder to come by. A half decent keeper or fullback isn't. If they were they'd cost more.

A half decent goal scorer is just as easy to come by but you don't need to spend big on half decent

• Subscriber

I think my only worry is that you get some keepers who look class in a shit team just because they face so many attacks they're bound to make more good saves but they've then got found out following a big move. I'm not saying this will be Pickford though, hopefully. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Of course not. We get slated every time De Gea saves us because he's not part of our team apparently......

do you remember when 20Legend on TFF criticised De Gea for making a save with his feet and keeping a shot outxDxDxD. An absolute melt. 

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

There are more good goalkeepers at the bottom 13 clubs than there are 1 in 2 strikers.

But 1 in 2 strikers generally play for a top 4 clubs and unless you're in that small bracket of world class strikers then there's not much better out there than a 1 in 2 striker so it's not a good comparison to a half decent keeper.

4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Top 4 clubs strikers are much much better than 1 in 2.

1 in 2 being the best is old fashioned.

I didn't say it was the best, but unless you have a world class striker up front then you won't get much better.

21 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Top 4 clubs strikers are much much better than 1 in 2.

1 in 2 being the best is old fashioned.

I don't know if that's true for us. Our top scorer was Mane or Coutinho (or they were level on goals). We tend to spread the goals around though - and other than when Sturridge is fit we lack a flat track bully type of striker who can punish sides sitting deep... which is probably why we struggle against sides that do that.

Personally, the way I see transfer fees right now... they're all so fucking ridiculous that I think a player's worth is all relative. Everton are in need of a keeper for the long term, if Pickford can be that player for a long time... then this fee is pretty reasonable.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I think my only worry is that you get some keepers who look class in a shit team just because they face so many attacks they're bound to make more good saves but they've then got found out following a big move. I'm not saying this will be Pickford though, hopefully. 

When we signed Mignolet from Sunderland, it looked as though this was the case too. But it might not have actually been the case, if you look at Mignolet's form he's been best when he's lost his place and had to fight it back from whoever ousted him. He was dropped for bad form and replaced by Brad Jones, who is nowhere near as good, and ended up getting the spot back... and then it became clear Jones was nowhere near ousting him again and he got complacent. When Mignolet had to fight off Karius, it's been weirdly like a new player. So I think Mignolet's poor form was really more of a mental thing than looking great at Sunderland behind a terrible defense.

So my point is, Pickford might do worse with a better defense in front of him and not being constantly under pressure, or he might be totally fine, or maybe somewhere in between those (at least for a bit) before he finds his feet at a new club.

Honestly, as a Liverpool fan my reaction should have been to laugh at you lot for spending so much on a keeper - but it's not like he's dogshit or anything. He's a good keeper and you have a pretty clear need for a good long term one, I think it actually makes a lot of sense considering your club's needs and how insane transfer fees are now.

Archived