talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Sign Jordan Pickford

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the success of the Under 20's and the additional emerges of Mason Holgate, Brendon Galloway and Tom Davies I'm really looking forward to see how this team grow under Koeman over the next couple of seasons. I was listening to David Unsworth on Talksport talk about how Everton have focused on bringing through talent and it sounds like they've nailed it. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Given the success of the Under 20's and the additional emerges of Mason Holgate, Brendon Galloway and Tom Davies I'm really looking forward to see how this team grow under Koeman over the next couple of seasons. I was listening to David Unsworth on Talksport talk about how Everton have focused on bringing through talent and it sounds like they've nailed it. 

Hopefully. Not banking on it yet despite Tom Davies being a revelation last season, just because we've had a few batches of promising youngsters whose names I can barely now remember. Bidwell, Lundstram, McAleny were meant to be class, they weren't. 

That said, none of those sides ever achieved anything like winning the U23 league before a batch of them going to win the U20 World Cup the same summer, so hopefully these are signs that this crop have a bit more about them. 

I think we've certainly been spot on with our scouting and recruiting from the lower leagues. Stones, Holgate, Calvert-Lewin, Galloway, Lookman, some very good investments in there with the jury admittedly still out on a couple of them. 

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Hopefully. Not banking on it yet despite Tom Davies being a revelation last season, just because we've had a few batches of promising youngsters whose names I can barely now remember. Bidwell, Lundstram, McAleny were meant to be class, they weren't. 

That said, none of those sides ever achieved anything like winning the U23 league before a batch of them going to win the U20 World Cup the same summer, so hopefully these are signs that this crop have a bit more about them. 

I think we've certainly been spot on with our scouting and recruiting from the lower leagues. Stones, Holgate, Calvert-Lewin, Galloway, Lookman, some very good investments in there with the jury admittedly still out on a couple of them. 

I remember people on here once getting really excited about Jose Baxter and Jon Paul-Kissock. Thankfully as a nation we seem to be better at developing players at present. It's the outstanding Chelsea kids not getting an opportunity I'm worried about. Everton, Tottenham and Southampton seem to have it nailed.

6 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I remember people on here once getting really excited about Jose Baxter and Jon Paul-Kissock. Thankfully as a nation we seem to be better at developing players at present. It's the outstanding Chelsea kids not getting an opportunity I'm worried about. Everton, Tottenham and Southampton seem to have it nailed.

Chalobah, Christensen, Ake, Baker, and Abraham are the only ones who have a real shot of making it. 

24 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Baxter probably should have but threw it away himself. 

We're gonna build a stadium for the kids here which hopefully helps them even more instead of playing in Toryport. 

As already mentioned, it's difficult judging a keeper at the level he's been playing at. It's alright parrying a load of shots and looking good on Match of the Day. Different when they're at one of the better clubs in the league and don't have much to do then have to make a match changing save or whatever.

There's also been a whole host of English keepers down the years who've been touted as the next big thing and haven't lived up to expectations. 

• Administrator

If he proves himself at Everton and can push for an England spot, you'd think Chelsea or United will be sniffing round in a couple of years. That said, I'm surprised City didn't take a look, in terms of distribution he must be a wet dream for Guardiola. Certainly the best distributor of the ball I've seen over the last year or so from a Goalkeeper 

I think the biggest issue with keepers is getting carried away by a decent shot stopper. Making theatrical saves and parrying away an onslaught of shots is what generally gets keepers overhyped but there's a lot more to them. I think to understand a keeper you have to watch them with that in mind because it's the difference between say Joe Hart and David De Gea.

13 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Big pressure on his shoulders. Could feasibly be England keeper at the world cup if he has a good season.

Had a mixed end to the season where he kept the score down in some games but got criticised for a few goals.

I think it'll be a contest between him and Butland with Hart somehow still winning...

5 minutes ago, Saturdays Are For The Boys said:

I think it'll be a contest between him and Butland with Hart somehow still winning...

If Hart plays for an English club and doesn't improve his form he will lose his place. If he goes abroad and concedes 77 goals in 12 games he will still be England keeper because he went abroad and that means he's our cultural saviour freeing us from the ignorant brute's we are 9_9

24 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

If Hart plays for an English club and doesn't improve his form he will lose his place. If he goes abroad and concedes 77 goals in 12 games he will still be England keeper because he went abroad and that means he's our cultural saviour freeing us from the ignorant brute's we are 9_9

Goes to second division germany, PERFECT GREAT THROW HIM IN BETWEEN THE STICKS

• Subscriber

Club record on a goalkeeper! Haha. I don't imagine that record will stand for long. Exciting times, that's at least one of our main targets signed up early doors rather than us waiting until deadline day to start making signings which we've done far too often. Klaassen to follow soon as well I gather. 

On 13/06/2017 at 11:32 PM, Batard said:

If he proves himself at Everton and can push for an England spot, you'd think Chelsea or United will be sniffing round in a couple of years. That said, I'm surprised City didn't take a look, in terms of distribution he must be a wet dream for Guardiola. Certainly the best distributor of the ball I've seen over the last year or so from a Goalkeeper 

I remember Sunderland fans calling for him to play center midfield because of how good his distribution was xD

4 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

You are a proper ukipper at heart aren't you. 

Archived