talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carlos Queiroz Leads Iran To World Cup Qualification

Iran became the second team to qualify for the 2018 World Cup as they beat Uzbekistan 2-0 in Tehran.

Goals from Sardar Azmoun and Mehdi Taremi ensured Iran, coached by Carlos Queiroz, will appear at successive World Cups for the first time.

Victory meant they opened an eight-point advantage over their opponents, who are third in the table.

Five-time winners Brazil were the first team to join hosts Russia at next year's tournament.

The top two teams in each of Asia's two qualifying groups progress to the World Cup, while the teams in third place go into a series of play-offs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40258091

I have no recollection of them at the last World CupxD

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First manager to qualify for 4 world cups with different teams. South Africa, Portugal and Iran x2.

Walter Winterbottom is the other one who qualified for 4 world cups, but with the same side: England in 1950, 1954, 1958 and 1962.

Iran are the Asian Greece. They play such a boring style as their philosophy is to sit back and defend. They showed it last World Cup, in the U20 World Cup and if I were to just take a guess based on some results here, it doesn't seem to be different although I could be wrong. There is talent here and it will be interesting to see them in the WC but I'm not expecting exciting football.

I can remember them in the last World Cup because I think I drew them in a sweepstake, pretty sure they gave Argentina a good game but went out at the group stage.

Still a good achievement to qualify.

Archived