talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA Nations League 2022/23

football forum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky news are reporting there are talks of the south American teams being invited to play in the nations league. 

I like the idea. I think it will be controversial. But this is a new competion that doesnt have history so it wont upset traditionalists to much. Not sure how the travel would work as those countries are far away but I do like the idea. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Sky news are reporting there are talks of the south American teams being invited to play in the nations league. 

I like the idea. I think it will be controversial. But this is a new competion that doesnt have history so it wont upset traditionalists to much. Not sure how the travel would work as those countries are far away but I do like the idea. 

Disagree. This tournament as such is a needless annoyance already. Adding South American teams to this waste of time only tightens the considerable time pressure domestic leagues are already under, because of this and the inflated European and International football calendar.

3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Disagree. This tournament as such is a needless annoyance already. Adding South American teams to this waste of time only tightens the considerable time pressure domestic leagues are already under, because of this and the inflated European and International football calendar.

Well like I said not everyone will like it. For me its  not all about club football, international football is important as well. I'm not  sure if there would need to be any extra fixtures they might be able to still do it in a maximum of 8 games. And when they bought it in the games were in place of friendlies 

15 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Smiley Culture what do you think mate? 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Smiley Culture what do you think mate? 

Don’t get me wrong, competitive games against Argentina and Brazil at Wembley that would be pretty easy for me to get tickets for is a nice thought.

That said, it’s the metaphorical Trojan Horse story, here. The idea for a World Cup was mooted, it was met with disapproval by pretty much everyone and then, through the back door, they get the ball rolling for this and then once this is accepted, providing it is, where do you stop? Another couple of years and we can then invite some African/Asian nations either through an invitation like the Copa America or have some qualification process, like the current World Cup and then it’s basically what they wanted anyway.

It’s reminiscent of the European Super League farce. That took all the news and got people’s attention, rightly, however through the back door on the quiet a load of changes have happened starting during the  2024/25 Champions League, which seem to have got little coverage. The whole anti-ESL and anti-club owners crowd have pretty much gone away yet are, largely, blind to these changes that have occurred. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived