talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Peter Whittingham's Decade Comes to an End

Thought this deserved it's own thread seeing as it's between TF365 member's clubs and with the service given as well.

Blackburn Rovers have signed Cardiff City midfielder Peter Whittingham on two-year contract after he turned down a new deal with the Championship side.

The 32-year-old was offered reduced terms by the Bluebirds, but has decided to end his 10-year stay at the club and drop down a division to League One.

The former Aston Villa trainee and England Under-21 international made 450 appearances for the Welsh side.

Whittingham is boss Tony Mowbray's first signing since Rovers' relegation.

"I've had ten-and-a-half awesome years at Cardiff City, reached several cup finals that I never thought I'd reach, won promotion and played a lot of games at this great club," Whittingham said in a statement on Cardiff's website.

"For me now, it is time for a new challenge. I'm not one of those footballers who can train all week and sit and watch a match. I want to play as many games as possible - and I think at this stage of my career this move will help me to do so."

https://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40261258

Shame to hear after such a long time with us but with his wages supposedly high and no longer being a regular starter, I think this is best for both clubs. 

Thanks for the memories Whitters. Just remember @roversgirl and @JOSHBRFC, he'll do what he wants because he's Peter Whittingham. ^_^

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic signing at League One level! So far so good this summer with Mowbray signing a new deal and now Whittingham signing. I'm sure he will be used in a central position with Mowbray bringing in a hard working, tough tackling midfielder to compliment him. He could be a key player for us in terms of bouncing back to the Championship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
13 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I remember watching him lick champagne off a strippers tit in Spearmint rhino aged 18 on a Tuesday night in Birmingham. He's done quite well all things considered 

Hahahaha that's so random! Weren't expecting to read that when I opened the topic xD

I can't believe it's been a decade. I'm sure he has no regrets but given the ability he had once he had settled at Cardiff I was really expecting him to push on and play regularly for a mid table Premiership side. From 2009 until fairly recently you could say he was good enough.

This would be a good acquisition for Blackburn providing he stays motivated. This could very easily go the way of some of the players Blackburn signed when they got relegated from The Premiership. Whittingham effectively has nothing to prove, he's not going to play in The Premiership, and if Blackburn are paying him well he'd have to be very disciplined to have the correct motivation to have a big impact next season.

2 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Hahahaha that's so random! Weren't expecting to read that when I opened the topic xD

He was with Ridgewell to. My mate was seeing a stripper and we'd meet her after shifts, Villa players would typically land there around 11 ish and throw a bit of cash around. Shit hasn't changed hence Villa have fallen behind.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

One night you're watching Peter Whittingham licking a stripper, the next you're pissing off a bridge onto a homeless man. 

I knew I should have moved to Birmingham...

It's a big city an hour away from London with all the facilities you would get from the capital but without the press. Viera & Sol Campbell always used to be seen enjoying a quiet night out back then. I'm not out & about much anymore but I bet it's still the same

Archived