talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

1883 (Paramount+)

football forum

• Subscriber

Technically, it's a prequel for the neo-western show Yellowstone, but it's also a standalone series as the events are separated by about 150 years, and the only thing connecting the two is the family lineage.

First two episodes are out. I watched the first one, and it's incredible. Great storytelling, tone, ambience. They nailed it all. For me, it's already more captivating than Deadwood.

Highly recommended, especially to those who like a good story and proper old school Westerns. Also, to those who played Oregon Trail back in the day - it's like an expanded live action version of it.

It looks like the genre is slowly experiencing a revival, hope for more to come in the future.

@CaaC (John) you should really like it.

Also tagging @Bluewolf and @Viva la FCB for obvious reasons.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Technically, it's a prequel for the neo-western show Yellowstone, but it's also a standalone series as the events are separated by about 150 years, and the only thing connecting the two is the family lineage.

First two episodes are out. I watched the first one, and it's incredible. Great storytelling, tone, ambience. They nailed it all. For me, it's already more captivating than Deadwood.

Highly recommended, especially to those who like a good story and proper old school Westerns. Also, to those who played Oregon Trail back in the day - it's like an expanded live action version of it.

It looks like the genre is slowly experiencing a revival, hope for more to come in the future.

Also tagging @Bluewolf and @Viva la FCB for obvious reasons.

Pity that I can get Paramount on my Amazon Prime account but I will have to pay an extra weekly subscription reading up on it but I won't do that as I am already paying my Amazon Prime monthly and I would go over my budget if I added the Paramount onto my account.

I will just hang tight and hope that eventually, Paramount will release it to view on Amazon/Netflix or YouTube which I have.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, nudge said:

Thanks to you I saw episode one and it was good, watching episode 2 in a moment, I loved the bit where Shea Breman was trying to explain "Don't drink the water..." and the emigrants could not understand what he meant until the Sgt, Thomas, said to them "toi-let..." and Shea did not know what he meant until he said, "toi-let is French for the toilet water.." xD

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 20/12/2021 at 19:51, CaaC (John) said:

Thanks to you I saw episode one and it was good, watching episode 2 in a moment, I loved the bit where Shea Breman was trying to explain "Don't drink the water..." and the emigrants could not understand what he meant until the Sgt, Thomas, said to them "toi-let..." and Shea did not know what he meant until he said, "toi-let is French for the toilet water.." xD

Well, @nudge, what did you think of episode 2, I quite enjoyed both parts but the ending was a bit sad, just looking forward to the next series when they make them. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Well, @nudge, what did you think of episode 2, I quite enjoyed both parts but the ending was a bit sad, just looking forward to the next series when they make them. 

Episode 3 is already out, too! 

I love it. A bit brutal at times, and I sometimes think that nobody can potentially be as stupid as some of those travelling immigrants, but overall, a very engaging storytelling and characters. Cinematography is beautiful, and they also nailed the vibe of the time period. Great great series. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Looking forward now to the next episodes, I am enjoying watching them.

@Viva la FCB, have you watched any episodes yet? you are missing a great series buddy about the good old wild west. :)

It's on the list, just to much on my plate at the moment but with Yellowstone ending and having caught up on the Witcher season 2 the Mrs and I are getting to it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Are you still enjoying 1883 @nudge?

Just watched episode 8, The Weep Of Surrender and then 2 more episodes when showing, once they are watched it's then waiting for the second series.

I think I will have to start watching Yellowstone and I mentioned it to the wife, I think Yellowstone would be her cup of tea as it sounds a bit like Dallas without JR and oil.  :D

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Are you still enjoying 1883 @nudge?

Just watched episode 8, The Weep Of Surrender and then 2 more episodes when showing, once they are watched it's then waiting for the second series.

I think I will have to start watching Yellowstone and I mentioned it to the wife, I think Yellowstone would be her cup of tea as it sounds a bit like Dallas without JR and oil.  :D

I'm two episodes behind; haven't had much time in the last two weeks... But yeah, I love it! 

Yellowstone is good... I struggled with season 1 a bit, but after that, I couldn't stop watching :D

• Subscriber
Just now, CaaC (John) said:

Just had a look at episode 1 opening, good old Kevin Costner as John Dutton!! xD

Yep, he's fantastic in it. 

Also unrelated, but he's also directing an upcoming Western movie "Horizon", which apparently has been his longtime passion project, and which will portray a 15-year span of pre-and post-Civil War expansion and settlement of the American west. He'll also star in it himself... Really looking forward to it :) 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yep, he's fantastic in it. 

Also unrelated, but he's also directing an upcoming Western movie "Horizon", which apparently has been his longtime passion project, and which will portray a 15-year span of pre-and post-Civil War expansion and settlement of the American west. He'll also star in it himself... Really looking forward to it :) 

I wonder if it's based on an old western film with Robert Ryan & Rock Hudson about pre-and post-Civil War wild west, Horizons West (1952), just the name rung a bell?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I wonder if it's based on an old western film with Robert Ryan & Rock Hudson about pre-and post-Civil War wild west, Horizons West (1952), just the name rung a bell?

Nah, it's a completely new story. 

"Horizon takes place at the time of Western expansion, spanning 15 years surrounding the Civil War. It recounts the tale of settlers making their way across America and the dangers that await them in their search for a more prosperous life. It's a premise not that dissimilar to 1883, though instead of watching the Dutton ancestors establishing their famed ranch, it takes a grounded view of everyday settlers and the harrowing choices that need to be made in order to survive the trek out West." 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived