• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Best Covers

football forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continuing the theme of the Beatles covers - one needed to be around at the time when most of their wrrting was tightly controlled that covers were not allowed.  One which they did allow and which is nothing like the original was Anthony Newley's slightly corny -cockney - version of 'I saw her standing there'.  You need to refer it to the Mike Sarne 'hit' Come outside' in which he and Wendy Richard sent up the 60's dance hall culture and Newley did the same - although many thought he was just singing a good song.  It really does reflect the mood and the pop culture of that time- try imagining it with Phil Daniels and the gang in Quadrophenia!

As an additional piece of nonsense - check out the London-America release for the USA which credits John Lenin as the composer!

• 3 months later...

A good cover should be far more than just a karaoke version of the original like so many are. The artist should stamp their own identity on it and give it something the original lacked.

A good example of this is the Pet Shop Boys cover of Sterling Void's 'It's Alright', one of the early Chicago house tunes from thr mid '80s.

The reason I have chosen this tune is because the original cover version was pretty much just a karaoke version, utterly pointless. They then remixed their own cover and made it sound like a Pet Shop Boys song rather than the clone version on their album Introspective. 

Here is the classic original by Sterling Void:

Here is the shitty karaoke clone version:

And here is the single version that they made sound as though they wrote it:

That, for me, is what a cover version should and shouldn't be

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 14/03/2019 at 11:37, CaaC (John) said:

I can remember buying the first BeeGees LP they released in 1967 when I was a young long-haired hippie lookalike then, only 18 years old and the cover had a psychedelic look about it  O.o

The songs...

2140324992_download(3).png.cea6ec2054b3aa99adcb8b34c867c8f4.png  

61AwPkzm0NL._SY355_.jpg.0827e79ef33a6e662be259b9c9becb30.jpg

Lol I’ve just seen this but mate, we’re talking about artists covering another artists songs, not cool album covers.

That is a cool album cover though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I disagree with Joe Cocker’s cover being better, but it’s an opinion on music so who cares xD - they’re both good versions of a very good song.

And Judas Priest typically do an excellent cover when they do one. Their Fleetwood Mac cover is great.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Downson.Brandy912 said:

for me it's Jeff Buckley - 'Hallelujah' 

I've removed the backlinks to your blog. Please don't advertise your sites without our permission.

Thanks,

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived