talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Greatest introduction/Opening mission in a game?

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

So many come to mind for me in no particular order

• Metal Gear Solid - That first mission sets the pace for how you'll traverse the whole game post it. I was very tempted to drop Snake Eater/Sons of Liberty in here but its still not as good as the first Gear Solid game. Mind you they are still some of the best. You know what all of them have super intro missions.
  • Resident Evil 4 - I liked how much Capcom actually made you rush in the opening sequence here. I was tempted to drop Village in there because of how close it is to RE4 but I think RE4 stands alone here
  • Resident Evil 3 : Remake - As much as this doesn't shower you with the kind of horror that the original does in the chases that first scene with Nemesis turning your day upside down is pretty spectacular
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Doom 2016 - Pedal to the metal is the theme here
  • Sekiro - They all look so unassuming and then you get sent back to the start and realize this isn't your regular ninja/shinobi game
  • NiOh 2 - The first time you run into those woods you realize how slow and paced you need to be to progress and they do a good job of guiding you through it as well
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Super Metroid - That first mission and things blowing up with the escape. This game shows its relentlessness at the very start
  • Killzone

Other games that made an immediate impression on me in the first level.

Mario 64 - Castle and grounds.

Donkey Kong country - credits and first level, jungle hijinks.

Zelda breath of the wild - exiting the cave.

Metal gear solid - the immediate tension and tone of the game

Tonyhawk - insta hooked by the concept and execution.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
On 31/12/2021 at 13:56, Harry said:

Golden Eye - Dam.

Perfect link to the classic opening scene from the movie, ending with bond bungee jumping off the dam wall.

Goldeneye is a good shout. 

Scarface had a good opening mission. I loved it how your balls got bigger before unleashing them. xD

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This was what I was going to say

I played this year - may have stated before. I was not disappointed. I had an N64 collection during Covid but sold it when i got bored.

Now - on  my to buy list is a modded console with all the classics.

28 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

I played this year - may have stated before. I was not disappointed. I had an N64 collection during Covid but sold it when i got bored.

Now - on  my to buy list is a modded console with all the classics.

I have a dodgy console with a lot of the old tape and cartridge based games. Haven't played it too much at present but have played it a bit in the past.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I have a dodgy console with a lot of the old tape and cartridge based games. Haven't played it too much at present but have played it a bit in the past.

Unwrap the cobwebs and tape and play it brother.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

It's an old Xbox and I haven't got the room at present. :(

Hand that legend status to me, now. I’ll take over the gaming section of this forum. Pfffft.

On a serious - I’d recommend a modded console to anyone and I have contacts who do very very good models.

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I challenge you to.........Micro Machines 2. :ph34r:

See… that’s why I love you. 

The memories I had playing that.

Name the time and place. I’ll bring the beers, you bring the sheep.

19 hours ago, Cicero said:

No Russian. 

Was that really the first level? It's been over a decade and I could swear it was like 3rd or 4th. But I'm not going to lie, I don't remember anything but that from MW2

2 hours ago, Coma said:

Didn't The Witcher 2 open with Geralt banging Triss?  Not too shabby 😆.

Same with this! I can't remember and could have sworn it opens with an interrogation? Or maybe I'm mixing up the order.  :what:

• 4 months later...

- Life is Strange: The whole opening sequence from the Lighthouse to Max rewinding time and finding out about her powers does such a good job at communicating the magical vibe on the game. There's still plenty wrong with the game and I think the prequel was infinitely better, but there's few games out there that did a better job at establishing a new IP.

- Far Cry 3. Far Cry games are generally good at introducing themselves in a really cinematic way, but FC3 is probably the best at it, immediately stressing you out with super violent scenes while also familiarizing you with the basics of the gameplay.

- Oblivion. Just really liked the prison sequence giving you a sense of claustrofobia before the game sends you out into the wide open world. Also did a good job at explaining some of the gameplay mechanics.

- Mass Effect 1. All Mass Effect games have good openings, but the way a small story gradually turns into a big story is just amazing. The sense of foreboding, knowing you are going on a 3-game adventure, it's just difficult to match. That, and the first time you enter the Citadel is magical.

• 2 months later...

Archived