The better place to talk football.

Utter Fucking Shite 0-1 Wolves - Monday 3rd January, 2022

football forum

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Devil said:

Controversial opinion alert!

United were heading in the right direction until we resigned Cristiano Ronaldo.

People will say where would we be without his goals. Fair enough I get that but I also believe the Ronaldo show is partly the reason so many of the team are struggling for form. 

We've gone from a team with goals coming from all angles to a team set up to get the best out of a single individual. Bruno no longer bursts into the box because that's Ronaldos space, Cavani is playing sidekick and Rashford doesn't even look a footballer.

United should cut this short at the end of the season.

Not controversial at all. I reckon the majority of United fans said adding Ronaldo doesn't necessarily improve you as a team considering scoring goals was never a weakness for you lot. 

37 minutes ago, Devil said:

Controversial opinion alert!

United were heading in the right direction until we resigned Cristiano Ronaldo.

People will say where would we be without his goals. Fair enough I get that but I also believe the Ronaldo show is partly the reason so many of the team are struggling for form. 

We've gone from a team with goals coming from all angles to a team set up to get the best out of a single individual. Bruno no longer bursts into the box because that's Ronaldos space, Cavani is playing sidekick and Rashford doesn't even look a footballer.

United should cut this short at the end of the season.

Not controversial at all mate, wasn’t signed to suit the style of play and really can’t be dropped either. Was just a great bit of business by Pep and co

35 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not controversial at all. I reckon the majority of United fans said adding Ronaldo doesn't necessarily improve you as a team considering scoring goals was never a weakness for you lot. 

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not controversial at all mate, wasn’t signed to suit the style of play and really can’t be dropped either. Was just a great bit of business by Pep and co

Go to the thread when united signed him. The wankfest was real. At the time those who spoke out against the signing were the controversial ones,.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Is the biggest mistake Man Utd have made since Ferguson left to let him continue to stick his two-penneth in?

:ph34r:

It makes me wonder now, SAF was great in his time but if he is saying his bit nowadays and the likes of the Glazer and co are saying "Yes Sir, No Sir, 3 Bags Full Sir..." then they can fuck off, it was SAF so we are told that pushed for Ronaldo's return.

• Subscriber

I was as big a basher of Solskjaer as anybody and I don't regret any of it but I tell you what, to say they've had a couple of weeks without a game what they've served up post 'break' has been embarrassing, I see virtually no improvement.

Rangnick might be a good person to have on board in general but for somebody who speaks so much about team identity and whatnot it was pitiful. At least with Spurs for example you can see obvious improvement in the short time.

• Subscriber

I don't know if he's just rotating the squad or whether it's Covid-inflicted but I do find it odd to see Rangnick giving significant game time to the likes of Matic, Cavani and Jones. I might be operating under a false assumption that he's a 'high press' manager with a progressive style of play to move them more into a Klopp/Guardiola direction. Aside from that I think it's very early to judge.

With Conte and Spurs at least it feels like he still has a decent amount of Poch's team left over so he has players who can remember playing the type of football and with the type of intensity that can be successful in modern elite football. I don't know how many players are left in the Man Utd side who can genuinely claim to have been part of a good Man Utd side. Mourinho had one good season which isn't enough to really be deemed as a proper 'good team', and aside from that, Solskjaer's top 4-ish standard has been the best of a bad bunch as far as the post-Fergie era goes.

I do think it's more about the long run with Rangnick and actually having a proven strategic thinker at the club. Like Marcel Brands at Everton, though, it won't work unless he's given licence to control footballing matters without the marketing/branding types and apparently Alex Ferguson(?) sticking their oar in and making vanity signings like Paul Pogba and Cristiano Ronaldo which undermine what the DoF/Manager are trying to put in place. I think you'd be forgiven for not trusting the powers that be at Man Utd to relinquish that sort of power, but if you look at Liverpool and Manchester City over the past 5-6 years, can you name a single player where there are arguably commercial or other non-footballing reasons for them to go after a player? Jack Grealish is the only one I can think of that potentially falls into the category of a bit of a vanity signing, but given the manager's track record you'd still expect him to make a big positive contribution in the long run.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived