• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup 2021/22 - Third Round Matches

football forum

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think so yeah. Its ridiculous to suggest that people dont want replays. I'm pretty certain most do. It's just artful Dodger being negative again and complaining about people to make himself feel good 

Replays have already been scrapped for every other round, they will be for the third and fourth soon enough.

Replays are an absolutely vital part of the FA Cup. It's why draws against higher opposition are so celebrated. The americanisation of our whole society continues apace. 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Replays have already been scrapped for every other round, they will be for the third and fourth soon enough.

Replays are an absolutely vital part of the FA Cup. It's why draws against higher opposition are so celebrated. The americanisation of our whole society continues apace. 

The third and fourth rounds have only been scrapped because of covid. Seriously the way you look at the world so negative is terrible. Dont ever breed 

I was looming forward to this but our team news has dampened the mood now.

No Bamford for us, he was tipped to start but a tweak in training, shock. We've also lost Gelhart in training midweek for a month so it's Sam Greenwood up front from the under 23's. Honestly, this season...

Lewis Bate making his debut in centre mid as well as Leo Hjelde in defence so be good to see those two and what they can do. Raphinha on bench being rested which is a good call really.

West Ham with a pretty strong team, including Antonio and Bowen, they want to progress.

Only one winner here.

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The third and fourth rounds have only been scrapped because of covid. Seriously the way you look at the world so negative is terrible. Dont ever breed 

Replays have been scrapped permanently beyond the fifth round. I don’t think it’s particularly negative to look at what’s happened here, whether through covid or not, and worry that this will continue permanently at some point in the near future, more so when you go onto social media and see various Premier League managers moaning about having to play games of football. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Replays have been scrapped permanently beyond the fifth round. I don’t think it’s particularly negative to look at what’s happened here, whether through covid or not, and worry that this will continue permanently at some point in the near future, more so when you go onto social media and see various Premier League managers moaning about having to play games of football. 

I know they have. But alot of smaller teams dont get further than the fourth at best so it doesn't really affect them. You have to think about fixtures congestion. Football isnt the same as before. Football is so fast  now its not the same as when players could play 3 times a week. I've actually just posted an article about it in the covid premier league thread. Managers are right about players playing to many games 

1 minute ago, RondónEFC said:

I didn't know R5 onwards replays had been scrapped already. That's shite.

I'm  not that keen on it. But I think alot of managers of teams who are there will probably support it. The issue it there is so much money in the league now the cup is seen as an inconvenience. If they gave the winner a champions league place it would get better. 

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I know they have. But alot of smaller teams dont get further than the fourth at best so it doesn't really affect them. You have to think about fixtures congestion. Football isnt the same as before. Football is so fast  now its not the same as when players could play 3 times a week. I've actually just posted an article about it in the covid premier league thread. Managers are right about players playing to many games 

Right but plenty get to the third round and part of the “magic of the FA Cup” that we have rammed down our throats every year is these clubs getting results against bigger names, even draws, and the financial bonuses that are gained from a tie away at an Old Trafford, Emirates or Anfield. 

Football has changed, you’re right. Not for the better though. We’ve got some of the biggest clubs on the planet based in this country with huge finances behind them moaning about fixtures and it doesn’t sit right. These clubs make changes and rarely play a full strength side in the domestic cups, moaning about the strain it has on first team players is a rubbish argument because those blokes are sat in their cinema rooms of their mansions playing the PlayStation while their clubs are playing a League Two side in the FA Cup. 

Managers aren’t right, either. The majority have access to 40+ professional footballers as a bare minimum. They then have access to nutritionists, fitness coaches, sports scientists, doctors, masseuses and many other professions alongside facilities far beyond what the general public are exposed to and we’re led to believe that they can’t play twice a week a couple of times a month? If these managers were such caring individuals, they’d be shouting from the rooftops about the changes to the Champions League that come into place in two years (and inevitably the Europa League) but they’re not. Why? Money. They’re as bent as the six club owners who joined the Super League temporarily and their words were good copy to appease fans’ moaning. It’s easier to bag the FA Cup and League Cup because the finances are a pittance to these clubs compared with finishing 17th in the Premier League and dwarfed immensely by the money created from a minimum six games in the Champions League. It’s all an act and it’s easy to see through the noise and facade of these managers and players. 

Just now, RondónEFC said:

Still trying to get my head around ITV choosing West Ham vs Leeds instead of Newcastle vs Cambridge or Tottenham vs Morecambe.

Those games only get picked if the Premier League clubs are away from home.

• Subscriber
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm  not that keen on it. But I think alot of managers of teams who are there will probably support it. The issue it there is so much money in the league now the cup is seen as an inconvenience. If they gave the winner a champions league place it would get better. 

The problem is that a minority of stakeholders in the FA Cup (managers and owners of elite teams and some other Premier League teams) get their way while the under-represented majority (your average football fan, and the majority of clubs in the footballing pyramid) lose out.

But it's been quite clear for some time that the moment where someone with some clout stands up and asks whether the odds aren't already stacked far enough in favour of the richest clubs and the biggest names simply isn't going to come.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Those games only get picked if the Premier League clubs are away from home.

While this is generally true, that's no rationale. The chance of an upset when the smaller team is away from home is slimmer but (no offence here) it's West Ham and Leeds, hardly any sort of pull factor for the masses. I disagree but understand when it's one of the Super League Six but this is just putting Premier League teams on for the sake of it.

1 minute ago, RondónEFC said:

While this is generally true, that's no rationale. The chance of an upset when the smaller team is away from home is slimmer but (no offence here) it's West Ham and Leeds, hardly any sort of pull factor for the masses. I disagree but understand when it's one of the Super League Six but this is just putting Premier League teams on for the sake of it.

They're on tele next week in the league as well

5 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

The problem is that a minority of stakeholders in the FA Cup (managers and owners of elite teams and some other Premier League teams) get their way while the under-represented majority (your average football fan, and the majority of clubs in the footballing pyramid) lose out.

But it's been quite clear for some time that the moment where someone with some clout stands up and asks whether the odds aren't already stacked far enough in favour of the richest clubs and the biggest names simply isn't going to come.

I agree. However all sports are like that unfortunately. And to be honest football isn't as bad as some. We still have relegation, no play offs to decide league winners etc. Like I said though I think a majority of the time the teams left past the fourth round probably wouldn't want a reply anyway. The  fans might, but I doubt the managers do. 

13 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Right but plenty get to the third round and part of the “magic of the FA Cup” that we have rammed down our throats every year is these clubs getting results against bigger names, even draws, and the financial bonuses that are gained from a tie away at an Old Trafford, Emirates or Anfield. 

Football has changed, you’re right. Not for the better though. We’ve got some of the biggest clubs on the planet based in this country with huge finances behind them moaning about fixtures and it doesn’t sit right. These clubs make changes and rarely play a full strength side in the domestic cups, moaning about the strain it has on first team players is a rubbish argument because those blokes are sat in their cinema rooms of their mansions playing the PlayStation while their clubs are playing a League Two side in the FA Cup. 

Managers aren’t right, either. The majority have access to 40+ professional footballers as a bare minimum. They then have access to nutritionists, fitness coaches, sports scientists, doctors, masseuses and many other professions alongside facilities far beyond what the general public are exposed to and we’re led to believe that they can’t play twice a week a couple of times a month? If these managers were such caring individuals, they’d be shouting from the rooftops about the changes to the Champions League that come into place in two years (and inevitably the Europa League) but they’re not. Why? Money. They’re as bent as the six club owners who joined the Super League temporarily and their words were good copy to appease fans’ moaning. It’s easier to bag the FA Cup and League Cup because the finances are a pittance to these clubs compared with finishing 17th in the Premier League and dwarfed immensely by the money created from a minimum six games in the Champions League. It’s all an act and it’s easy to see through the noise and facade of these managers and players. 

I said the forth round replays and before that should stay. And I never said they couldnt play twice a week I said  more than that would be difficult and used a science report to back it up. 

Managers are under pressure to get results. They cant complain about competitions that get the club money they would be sacked. Your quite naive if you expect managers to speak against the club getting more money 

12 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

I know where you're coming from and the irony is, West Ham Leeds is on Sky next Sunday at 2pm as a league game so there is every arguement it wasn't necessary.

The thing is when terrestrial tv gets a chance to screen live games (which is more rare today given the monopoly of Sky/BT) if they get chance to showcase two PL teams they find it hard to resist because of viewing figures when in reality, they missed picking a big shock in Kidderminster v Reading which is what the cup is really about at these early stages.

Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

See, I don't understand that.

Replays are scrapped for the third and fourth round, but are then allowed for the fifth and quarters.

Makes no sense to say it's to reduce fixture congestion but still have replays later on.

I think you've misunderstood my post. No replays at all this season. But replays will return up to the fourth round next season. There hasn't been replays from round 5 onwards for a few years now

Good to see we have equalised, not able to watch the match. 

How the fuck has that West Ham goal stood? Bowen is interfering with play from an offside position. No surprise it’s the same inept cunt who was VAR in the Arsenal/City game. He needs struck off. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived