talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester to Sign Harry Maguire

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure the World Cup is really a good indicator of the defensive ability of any of England's defence, they were never properly tested until the last game and they were pulled apart. Not singling out Maguire, Stones was more culpable then he was but the top clubs should keep their money on Maguire for at least a while, he left us as a solid Premier League centre back but I'm not sure he's evolved beyond that just yet.

7 hours ago, Stan said:

other than rumours this morning i.e. paper talk, where's it picking up?

I've heard £50m which is a pittance. Should be double that.

To think @Dan absolutely slated me for spending £25m in three years time on Football Manager. Absolute disgrace the way your clubs fans value their players.

• Subscriber

You laugh Cannabis but he's flavour of the month. It's the perfect time for someone to pay well over the odds for him. I'm not saying I'd pay over £50mil but I bet someone would.

We won't sell him this summer. I'm absolutely sure of that. We showed that you won't bully us easily regarding Mahrez and Maguire's far less likely to leave than he is anyway - he's happier here than Mahrez, has had the most productive year probably of his career here, it might be a little bit soon for him. I can see him going next summer although we won't sell both Mahrez and Maguire in the same month. He's evens to stay here on SkyBet if you fancy it.

I can see him being our captain this season.

Stones went for £50m? Van Dijk for £75m? See no reason Maguire can't go for £50m. He's a centre back who doesn't really have to worry about losing his pace that much cos he doesn't have much of it, is 25 and can go for another 7 years at least before he declines.

I think he needs a season of football where he's performing to the same level he's just done for England, but if he does that then £50m will be easily achievable and Leicester should push for more. Him being able to play out from the back inflates his price as well, just needs to be consistent defensively now.

• Subscriber

He had a good season for Leicester and had a handful of good games in a fairly specific setup with England. His contribution in the opposition box in set pieces, while clearly an asset, also tricks people into subconsciously thinking his general play was better.

I don't want to take anything away from him, I like the bloke, but you can't use a handful of games to raise his valuation that much. Stones went for that much because he has 18 months as a standout in a decent Everton side at the age of 21 and Van Dijk was one of the best defenders in the league with Liverpool inflating the price of the transfer massively because of their desperation to get the player and as compensation for the initial tapping up.

I know 50m isn't really 50m anymore but nobody will pay that for Maguire. He may be worth that much to Leicester to be fair but that just means he'll stay put.

To prove I'm not being biased I'll admit you could say a lot of similar things about Jordan Pickford, though the fact that we paid 30m for him and his stock has risen immeasurably in that time, and bearing in mind that 24 years old for a goalkeeper is like 20 years old for an outfield player, means that if we valued him at 50m you'd be more likely to get a bite on that than Maguire in my opinion.

Archived