talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philippe Coutinho

football forum

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, its either as a 'marqee' signing for Newcastle or Gerrard fancies him at Villa. He will know Coutinho fairly well of course.

If Coutinho could choose, I think he'd rather Villa too but Newcastle can obviously offer the greater wage packet. 

He won't go back to Liverpool surely. That ship has sailed I'd have thought.

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

For me, its either as a 'marqee' signing for Newcastle or Gerrard fancies him at Villa. He will know Coutinho fairly well of course.

If Coutinho could choose, I think he'd rather Villa too but Newcastle can obviously offer the greater wage packet. 

He won't go back to Liverpool surely. That ship has sailed I'd have thought.

Yeah there's no way he ends up back at Liverpool. 

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Sort of funny he is responsible for Liverpool's rise and Barcelona's demise. 

Nah, Barcelona is a far more difficult nut to crack than 'shouldn't have bought Coutinho' You have to add Dembele, Griezmann, and ten more players that were brought in and thrown out just as quickly. They also pay for part of Suarez's salary at Atletico.

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nah, Barcelona is a far more difficult nut to crack than 'shouldn't have bought Coutinho' You have to add Dembele, Griezmann, and ten more players that were brought in and thrown out just as quickly. They also pay for part of Suarez's salary at Atletico.

Signing Coutinho and Griezmann for big money and putting them on big contracts was mental considering they sort of operate in the space where Messi operates best.

But Coutinho was a remarkably bad signing for Barca. Signing him and then get knocked out of the CL in spectacular fashion from the side they bought him from, letting him go on loan to the eventual CL winners and having him knock them out (scoring 2 goals in the process), and then having him come back and still struggling to find a place for him in the side AND he's stagnated and lost confidence and form...

It's why making sexy signings for the sake of making sexy signings can be a pretty expensive mistake. But Barca made a series of awful transfers that backfired pretty massively and that's why they're in the situation they're in now.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Signing Coutinho and Griezmann for big money and putting them on big contracts was mental considering they sort of operate in the space where Messi operates best.

But Coutinho was a remarkably bad signing for Barca. Signing him and then get knocked out of the CL in spectacular fashion from the side they bought him from, letting him go on loan to the eventual CL winners and having him knock them out (scoring 2 goals in the process), and then having him come back and still struggling to find a place for him in the side AND he's stagnated and lost confidence and form...

It's why making sexy signings for the sake of making sexy signings can be a pretty expensive mistake. But Barca made a series of awful transfers that backfired pretty massively and that's why they're in the situation they're in now.

Yeah it's pretty great but Barcelona have done nothing right in the last decade. I could list a giant albatross of fuckups but it would take too long. Just think about this; Jordi Alba was the last transfer that wasn't fucked up in some sort of way and that was in 2012. Well I guess Pedri was a good signing but anyone with eyes could see his ability.

On 07/01/2022 at 05:06, Carnivore Chris said:

He was good in his first half of a season then went downhill after that. He was similar in his spell at Bayern funnily enough.

His problem is he doesn't know when to shoot or pass and lacks consistency.

Lenglet and Umtiti the next out with a bit of luck.

Umtiti’s just extended his contract til 2026…

but he’s not getting paid any more money - it’s just spreading his contract current contract value out until 2026… so now other teams can afford to buy/loan him & it’s a big help to Barca for FFP

Archived