talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Beijing Winter Olympics

football forum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will watch some of it. Wont not watch because it's in China. Seems a bit unfair on ordinary Chinese people. Not their fault what their government does 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Finally get to watch some curling. Good luck Canada, team GB did well today against China. 

Ice Hockey really only gets interesting towards the later stages but it looks like Canada's women's team is just snow-balling everyone they meet. 

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, Toinho said:

Watched a little bit of the snowboarding today, heard we got a bronze in the womens snowboarding - can’t remember which event. Need to watch more but so busy! 

You'll won a gold in the women's freestyle skiing event too. 

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

You'll won a gold in the women's freestyle skiing event too. 

Yeah incredible! Still haven’t seen it. Unfortunately not able to watch much at all. Far too busy, but will try get some footage. 

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Yeah incredible! Still haven’t seen it. Unfortunately not able to watch much at all. Far too busy, but will try get some footage. 

I get all of it on YouTube which surprisingly is very good for the Olympics and should really be the defacto for every olympics going forward. They categorise and split the events so nicely you get everything you need in one place. Beats having to pay the local networks for a subscription just to watch them not show what you want when you want to see it.

Eurosports coverage is very poor. Currently there is no commentary on the ice hockey and the other day they missed 3 goals out. I think they had issues in the summer Olympics last year as well 

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

China has recruited so many people with little or no relationship to China. Half of them are second or third generation Americans, some are white people lmao

@Viva la FCB Jake Chelios son of Chris plays hockey for China. How ludicrous 

The money must be good 

All I know is Brandon Yip their captain played with and against my brother growing up - sort of an on the bubble NHLer... probably played under 200 games anyways if memory serves kinda like a Colin Fraser type guy. Yip plays in the KHL still from what I had seen going into the Olympics here. But yeah Yip was born and raised here.. local guy just has the ancestry and thats good enough I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

All I know is Brandon Yip their captain played with and against my brother growing up - sort of an on the bubble NHLer... probably played under 200 games anyways if memory serves kinda like a Colin Fraser type guy. Yip plays in the KHL still from what I had seen going into the Olympics here. But yeah Yip was born and raised here.. local guy just has the ancestry and thats good enough I guess. 

Doesn’t explain the Greek heritage kid from Chicago

’Ay what is this noodle shit, gimme summa the souvlaki and saganaki opaaa’

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Doesn’t explain the Greek heritage kid from Chicago

’Ay what is this noodle shit, gimme summa the souvlaki and saganaki opaaa’

That is pretty funny I handt seen that. I guess theyre just reaching deep as this is probably their best shot at international hockey success. 

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Spike said:

China has recruited so many people with little or no relationship to China. Half of them are second or third generation Americans, some are white people lmao

@Viva la FCB Jake Chelios son of Chris plays hockey for China. How ludicrous 

The money must be good 

Isn't that the general trend with the Olympics anyways? Most countries that can pay for an athlete's development tend to acquire the best from their nations and groom them to be part of their squads for various sports. It's not like its a lot of money initially as I remember reading somewhere that some of the best governments don't offer massive stipends to their olympic athletes but its much better than waiting in line in your own country to get a spot you may never get. 

It's been heartbreaking listening to some of the stories of athletes that have trained for years to get to the Olympics and then tested positive for COVID before their meet.  I don't understand it at all.  If an athlete has been vaccinated, let them get on with it.   

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Coma said:

It's been heartbreaking listening to some of the stories of athletes that have trained for years to get to the Olympics and then tested positive for COVID before their meet.  I don't understand it at all.  If an athlete has been vaccinated, let them get on with it.   

I think the issue is it spreading to another athlete and them having to miss their opportunity as a result. In some cases I think its just extreme to not let them attend after they've tested negative but to just not let them go altogether is a bit shit. They get a chance 4 yrs from now and who knows what will happen to them in the interim in terms of their ability to regain the form they've worked so hard for.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I think the issue is it spreading to another athlete and them having to miss their opportunity as a result. In some cases I think its just extreme to not let them attend after they've tested negative but to just not let them go altogether is a bit shit. They get a chance 4 yrs from now and who knows what will happen to them in the interim in terms of their ability to regain the form they've worked so hard for.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating it but I'm surprised they didn't mandate that all athletes had to be vaccinated to attend the games.

Archived