talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New York Times Purchases The Athletic for $550m

football forum

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've subscribed to it a couple of times when they've had the £1 a month offer. Currently got it £1 a month for 12 months. I don't use it enough to justify paying the full price once the offer period is up as I only read the odd article on my dinner in work.

13 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I've subscribed to it a couple of times when they've had the £1 a month offer. Currently got it £1 a month for 12 months. I don't use it enough to justify paying the full price once the offer period is up as I only read the odd article on my dinner in work.

Yeah they stung me by increasing to full price when my promo deal expired without telling me so put a reminder in your phone when that's up.

I loved The Athletic during the first Lockdown and the two Palace correspondents are brilliant but I definitely don't use it enough to justify the full price.

I think most people were skeptical if paying the best sports journalists far more than any other tabloid would to provide actual useful content behind a pay wall would work but fair to play to them. Five hundred and fifty million dollars later after five years is a pretty fantastic return.

I've been a subscriber for a couple years for the Leeds coverage but the Bundesliga coverage is poor.  One article a week, if that.

That being said, the quality of writing there is much higher than other sites so I'm torn every time my renewal comes up.  

I subscribe to it, pretty good to have if I’m on the tube or something. The Brentford coverage is quite good also. In terms of Premier League there’s a lot on there for you to get stuck into, particularly liked a piece recently about Man City’s use of a number 9, false 9 and playing without a 9 at all. Some of the journalists on there, the City journo in particular are quite good with tactical analysis.

• The title was changed to New York Times Purchases The Athletic for $550m

Archived