talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Felix Zwayer taking a break from refereeing

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Tommy said:

Taking a voluntary break after the Dortmund vs. Bayern shitstorm. 

Yikes.  As a BVB fan, I personally don't think his performance in that match was as bad as social media makes out.  I disagreed with the penalty called on Hummels but I wouldn't jump on the "conspiracy" bandwagon.  I do feel sorry for the guy on some level.  He made a mistake in the past and he served his time but it's hard to see a way back for him now.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Coma said:

Yikes.  As a BVB fan, I personally don't think his performance in that match was as bad as social media makes out.  I disagreed with the penalty called on Hummels but I wouldn't jump on the "conspiracy" bandwagon.  I do feel sorry for the guy on some level.  He made a mistake in the past and he served his time but it's hard to see a way back for him now.

Thats just it If he didnt have the past he has replace with him any other ref and is there anywhere near the same over reaction? I get it though at the same time his past is probably the reason for the reaction. I think youre pretty bang on though on both accounts. 

42 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thats just it If he didnt have the past he has replace with him any other ref and is there anywhere near the same over reaction? I get it though at the same time his past is probably the reason for the reaction. I think youre pretty bang on though on both accounts. 

Yeah, there's no doubt that he brought this on himself when he made the decision to take money way back when.  Does that justify Bellingham whining about it in the post-match interview?  Absolutely not - Bellingham was way out of line.

Then the DFB go and fuck it all up by declaring that he won't be officiating any more BVB matches for the foreseeable future.  Talk about fanning the flames. Having teams dictate who can ref their matches is not a good precedent.

It was mishandled on all sides really.

He should never have been allowed to go back into refereeing after being involved in a match fixing scandal. The DFB are to blame for his situation now because he should never have been involved in refereeing after that - even if he's not biased/corrupt, it'd always be hanging over his head if he makes a mistake.

And for good reason, tbh, he's already been involved in match fixing once. Getting caught once should be enough to say: alright, you cannot referee ever again. You being a referee puts the impartiality of the officials into disrepute. Match fixing involvement should be a red line for any football association - no referee can come back from their involvement in match fixing with their reputation or integrity in tact.

It's hard to feel sympathetic for him because of his involvement in match fixing. But it really is the DFB's fault he was allowed back into football and put under all of this pressure. I think it's astounding that it's taken so long for the pressure to get to them/him tbh. Indicates a culture of forgiveness and belief in rehabilitation - which is good in many scenarios - but I find it hard to trust in the rehabilitation of someone caught with such an egregious ethical violation.

I believe criminals can be rehabilitated and learn from past mistakes... but it's always hard when it involves crimes involving breach of ethical duties. Particularly when that person is trusted to perform the same job they had when they were breaching their ethical duties.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He should never have been allowed to go back into refereeing after being involved in a match fixing scandal. The DFB are to blame for his situation now because he should never have been involved in refereeing after that - even if he's not biased/corrupt, it'd always be hanging over his head if he makes a mistake.

And for good reason, tbh, he's already been involved in match fixing once. Getting caught once should be enough to say: alright, you cannot referee ever again. You being a referee puts the impartiality of the officials into disrepute. Match fixing involvement should be a red line for any football association - no referee can come back from their involvement in match fixing with their reputation or integrity in tact.

It's hard to feel sympathetic for him because of his involvement in match fixing. But it really is the DFB's fault he was allowed back into football and put under all of this pressure. I think it's astounding that it's taken so long for the pressure to get to them/him tbh. Indicates a culture of forgiveness and belief in rehabilitation - which is good in many scenarios - but I find it hard to trust in the rehabilitation of someone caught with such an egregious ethical violation.

I believe criminals can be rehabilitated and learn from past mistakes... but it's always hard when it involves crimes involving breach of ethical duties. Particularly when that person is trusted to perform the same job they had when they were breaching their ethical duties.

This, 100%.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The above in bold is where it gets dicey, I agree.  I want to give him the benefit of the doubt (time served) but the nature of the "crime" is such that it will always hang over his head.  At the end of the day the DFB are to blame for the whole thing blowing up.

Felix Zwayer talking about receiving death threats on his personal E-Mail account, his wife being in tears because she was worried etc. 

People. What a bunch of bastards. 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Felt sorry for him, and then I read "Ob er seine Karriere fortsetzen will oder sie sofort beendet, verrät er am Freitag, um 21 Uhr in "Meine Geschichte"." 🙄

That's just Sky milking it though. 😬 It's already recorded, and they just released that short bit as bait. 😅

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's just Sky milking it though. 😬 It's already recorded, and they just released that short bit as bait. 😅

Yeah, I get that. I'm just generally mistrusting of people who run to the TV broadcasters with their sop story 😅

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Hopefully that doesn't mean, a soap opera of unproven accusations arise anytime he makes a decision somebody dislikes.

You can count on it.  Especially if it's against my team 😆.

Archived