talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Prog Thread

football forum

I'll go ahead and declare my virginity and say that I love prog rock.  I've been listening to more metal in the last few years but I'll never stray too far from my first love.  Here's a great song to kick off the thread with.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Coma said:

I'll go ahead and declare my virginity and say that I love prog rock. 

I lol'd xD

So for me, I find prog rock (and prog metal) super hit or miss. I'm also not sure what classifies as "prog" - I've heard Pink Floyd called prog, I dunno if I agree with that though. Bands like Yes, I'd call them prog.

As a metalhead, I've tried to get into the band Cynic - who are sort of like a death metal fused with a prog rock band (and their drummer, Sean Reinhart, is imo one of the best drummers in metal and generally, RIP big man). I loved the music, but I absolutely hated the vocals. Control Denied are another band dubbed "progressive metal" with shitloads of band members I love... but I can't stand the vocals.  I quite like Haken though.

As a musician, I've got nothing but respect for most prog musicians. They usually have incredible technique and incredible skill. But as a caveman metalhead, I often find myself thinking "these songs are too complicated, play the nasty riffs again" xD

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I lol'd xD

So for me, I find prog rock (and prog metal) super hit or miss. I'm also not sure what classifies as "prog" - I've heard Pink Floyd called prog, I dunno if I agree with that though. Bands like Yes, I'd call them prog.

As a metalhead, I've tried to get into the band Cynic - who are sort of like a death metal fused with a prog rock band (and their drummer, Sean Reinhart, is imo one of the best drummers in metal and generally, RIP big man). I loved the music, but I absolutely hated the vocals. Control Denied are another band dubbed "progressive metal" with shitloads of band members I love... but I can't stand the vocals.  I quite like Haken though.

As a musician, I've got nothing but respect for most prog musicians. They usually have incredible technique and incredible skill. But as a caveman metalhead, I often find myself thinking "these songs are too complicated, play the nasty riffs again" xD

I think that prog, like any genre, can encompass many different styles.  Certain bands are universally considered prog rock...Yes is a great example.  Other bands like Pink Floyd are on the fringes and can be in or out depending on the individual.  My favorite Floyd album is Animals, which I would consider a prog album.

I have been recently clearing out my CD collection since I've gone largely digital in the last several years.  I have approximately 1,000 CD's, most of which I would consider prog albums and I had largely forgotten about some of that music.  I've been re-discovering it over the past week and I still love it.  It's a nice change of pace from the headbanging I typically do.  I do have a couple Cynic albums and like you I'm largely meh on those.  Cynic lead me to Death though, so I'll take it.    

• Subscriber
On 10/01/2022 at 17:39, Coma said:

I'll go ahead and declare my virginity and say that I love prog rock.  I've been listening to more metal in the last few years but I'll never stray too far from my first love.  Here's a great song to kick off the thread with.

I think that prog is definitely something I listen to a lot of as well. It's got a little bit of eclectic choices by bands that I think jives very well with how I see rock/metal evolving beyond the core elements that make those genres what they are. To me its also more like bands will delve into this style to get more out of their work on albums. I know a lot of people classify Queen as Orchestral Rock, which it in a lot of ways is (especially the earlier stuff), but they've also got some elements on prog in there which work very well for the style they were trying to achieve at the time.

I've been spending a lot of time the last two weeks listening to the album "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" by Dream Theater and just trying to wrap my head around how the compositional work even got started there. 

Something more popular from the album although I'd imagine most folks on this thread are quite aware of this number.

9 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think that prog is definitely something I listen to a lot of as well. It's got a little bit of eclectic choices by bands that I think jives very well with how I see rock/metal evolving beyond the core elements that make those genres what they are. To me its also more like bands will delve into this style to get more out of their work on albums. I know a lot of people classify Queen as Orchestral Rock, which it in a lot of ways is (especially the earlier stuff), but they've also got some elements on prog in there which work very well for the style they were trying to achieve at the time.

I've been spending a lot of time the last two weeks listening to the album "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" by Dream Theater and just trying to wrap my head around how the compositional work even got started there. 

Something more popular from the album although I'd imagine most folks on this thread are quite aware of this number.

Probably my favorite DT album.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

What about the voice of Geddy Lee, do you think he talks like an ordinary guy? (I know him and he does)

Geddy is a badass mofo and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.  I took up playing bass because of him.

2 hours ago, Coma said:

Geddy is a badass mofo and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.  I took up playing bass because of him.

Geddy and Les Claypool are the 2 goats. Geddy for composition and pioneering styles, Les for playing unplayable shit, crazy composition and making bass the star of the show. 

There's a fine line between the brilliant and self indulgent. I do think a few bands cross that line within the genre. Within many genres obviously, but very much rooted within prog rock. I'm not beyond an epic ( I posted KE9 for fuck sake) but that's a song that evolves and develops. 

Nick Caves 'Babe, I'm on fire' Isn't a prog song, but it's just so perfect an example. An entirely reasonable 3-5 minute song is dragged for 15. Could even be used as a reoccurrence throughout the album. Nope. 15 minutes. 

Sometimes less is more. Thick as a brick never did it for me. 

23 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

There's a fine line between the brilliant and self indulgent. I do think a few bands cross that line within the genre. Within many genres obviously, but very much rooted within prog rock. I'm not beyond an epic ( I posted KE9 for fuck sake) but that's a song that evolves and develops. 

Nick Caves 'Babe, I'm on fire' Isn't a prog song, but it's just so perfect an example. An entirely reasonable 3-5 minute song is dragged for 15. Could even be used as a reoccurrence throughout the album. Nope. 15 minutes. 

Sometimes less is more. Thick as a brick never did it for me. 

I can certainly agree with this to some extent but I also think that self-indulgence is part of prog music.  Robert Fripp is an example of pretentiousness.  That guy can go on for hours just fiddling around on guitar.  A lot of it is just drivel.

Archived