• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 22 Matches - 14-16th January, 2022

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
40 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Ignoring the Liverpool link, it seemed apparant from the outset that Rafa Benitez at Everton in the modern era was never going to work out. Teams that play his favoured brand of football with the defensive wingers tend to finish in the bottom half of divisons. Roy Hodgson at Crystal Palace and Sean Dyche at Burnley have shown its beneficial for certain football clubs in a particular cycle. But this is Everton. A side that have been mainstays in the Premier League since its inception, have spent a lot of money and quite rightly have had ambitions for a long time to break in to the top six. Even with the cost cutting method they were about to embark on it seemed like a car crash waiting to happen.

I think they'll stay up this season, but Moshiri has to make sure they have the absolute right person in charge for next season. They'll more than likely lose Calvert-Lewin or Richarlison to balance books and the next two seasons will effectively be tough until they get FFP wriggle room again.

What's Everton's position with FFP? 

They've spent a hell of a lot in the past 3 or 4 seasons with very little return other than PL prize money. Can't think of anyone they've sold for huge money either. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Tbf to Sancho, and I know you won't agree, he was coached by someone who I don't really think knew what he was doing in Ole. I think he will blossom. But your atmosphere is not good for the younger lads.

So much potential there. If you fuck Greenwood then you deserve prison time.

Sancho was coached by Ole for about 4 months. Honestly Ole deserved to lose his job but to be attributing his decline in form is madness.

Not actually sure what the fucking Greenwood part of your post means to be honest.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Devil said:

Sancho was coached by Ole for about 4 months. Honestly Ole deserved to lose his job but to be attributing his decline in form is madness.

Not actually sure what the fucking Greenwood part of your post means to be honest.

Probably 'if you fuck Greenwood up'. 

He's a big talent. Shouldn't have his career or development wasted by the wrong manager. 

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Stan said:

What's Everton's position with FFP? 

They've spent a hell of a lot in the past 3 or 4 seasons with very little return other than PL prize money. Can't think of anyone they've sold for huge money either. 

Bad, but the spending hasn't been as bad as you think the last few years. We got a bit of money for Bernard and James Rodriguez after getting them for free, made our money back on Moise Kean, the Digne fee more or less balances the money we've spent this month.

This summer will mark five years since that mental window where we spent about £200m on Pickford, Sigurdsson, Keane, Klaassen and whoever else, and five years means it stops counting towards FFP if I understand correctly. Should free up some spending potential this summer. You never really know though with installments and contracts and stuff complicating all of these deals. Suffice to say that there aren't many teams in the league closer than us to the line, but this is what happens when your owner has Champions League wealth but the club itself isn't making Champions League money.

The players we have should be able to keep us in a comfortable mid-table position. We shouldn't need to sell someone like Richarlison to be able to fund yet more investment into the squad to establish that bare minimum standard again. That's not to say he might not leave because a better opportunity comes along.

I know Coutinho will get the plaudits but Digne just slotted right in didn't he. I thought he had an excellent debut and looked a real threat when allowed to push right up. Levels above Targett.

Villa have done brilliant business there if he performs like that regularly.

43 minutes ago, Stan said:

Probably 'if you fuck Greenwood up'. 

He's a big talent. Shouldn't have his career or development wasted by the wrong manager. 

Greenwood is responsible for his own career. If I'm honest I'm more concerned about his attitude then the managers.

He seems to choose which games he wants to turn up in and he's often extremely lazy on the field.

I don't actually think Greenwood will ever be the player we thought he'd be.

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Is Sancho just a social media player, like Pogba? Some good short clips for TikTok but largely, a heap of shit?

Looking that way. Seems blown away by the pace of the league to me.

I'd be tempted to say Sancho hasn't seemed like he's been a regular starter & could be a factor in why he doesn't look right yet.

But then Grealish has been very much a regular starter for Man City & not looked remotely the same player as he did at Villa. Which doesn't entirely surprise me & likely a few others.

There surely must be some question marks over whether either are the level of quality both were hyped up & priced up to be.

27 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Is Sancho just a social media player, like Pogba? Some good short clips for TikTok but largely, a heap of shit?

Think you’d have to ask some of the Bundesliga fans. They’ve probably seen the most of him. I think he needs to start regularly and this just doesn’t happen in this team. Unless you’re Harry Maguire.

11 hours ago, Devil said:

Greenwood is responsible for his own career. If I'm honest I'm more concerned about his attitude then the managers.

He seems to choose which games he wants to turn up in and he's often extremely lazy on the field.

I don't actually think Greenwood will ever be the player we thought he'd be.

Think that’s a bit harsh if I’m honest. Put Foden in our team and he’d be wank as well. United have this ability at present to simply wrangle the skill and talent out of any footballer and ruin them. We would genuinely finish Mbappe and Haaland if the rocked up in the January transfer window. 

Back to Greenwood. He was vilified for the Icelandic trip whereas Foden (with his kid and baby) seemed to get a free pass. His mate commited suicide and all this while he’s just 18. I genuinely believe he’s a world class talent (the only raw talent we have).

24 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Think you’d have to ask some of the Bundesliga fans. They’ve probably seen the most of him. I think he needs to start regularly and this just doesn’t happen in this team. Unless you’re Harry Maguire.

I was surprised he's gone so poorly, but it makes sense. Dortmund play very sweeping quick attacking play, mostly on the turn but sometimes back to front too. He was fantastic in that regard with his pace, his ability to pop up back post, and great at those sharp little crosses to the free man on the end of a counter or in a frantic box. 

United play to none of those strengths.  

21 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Think that’s a bit harsh if I’m honest. Put Foden in our team and he’d be wank as well. United have this ability at present to simply wrangle the skill and talent out of any footballer and ruin them. We would genuinely finish Mbappe and Haaland if the rocked up in the January transfer window. 

Back to Greenwood. He was vilified for the Icelandic trip whereas Foden (with his kid and baby) seemed to get a free pass. His mate commited suicide and all this while he’s just 18. I genuinely believe he’s a world class talent (the only raw talent we have).

Wasn't aware of that to be fair.

Just think body language say a lot about a player and for me Greenwood can often look disinterested and on the cusp of games.

20 minutes ago, Devil said:

Wasn't aware of that to be fair.

Just think body language say a lot about a player and for me Greenwood can often look disinterested and on the cusp of games.

He was a young Citeh academy lad and got cut. Greenwood was his best mate. Club game him time off because of it. 

For me (having watched him at youth level), he’s a number 9. However, any young forward with pace seems to get lumped into the Henry category and thrown on the wing to cut inside. I’d love to see him spear heading the attack.

Some interesting views on Sancho, considering he was pushed out of the team for most of this season so Ole could accommodate Ronaldo I think it’s hardly surprising that he’s not been performing, new manager in, new system to play to, again no consistency with starting. I think @DeadLinesman is spot on.

This United team need a manager who is good enough to take over but also massively need a pre-season with that manager to get started.

Honestly, we're cursed.

Make a great start at West Ham, go a goal up and we lose Forshaw and Firpo to hamstring injuries in the same minute, barely 20mins in.

Oh, and if you are watching Arsenal, we have brought on 19 year old Lewis Bate and 18 year old Leo Hjelde for their Premier League debuts.

P.S Including the bench, we started with 12 senior players.

Take note Premier League please.

• The title was changed to Other PL Round 22 Matches - 14-16th January, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived