talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 0-1 Aston Villa - Saturday 22nd January, 2022

football forum

For me, I'm not sure this formation is quite working for Everton. Villa look more dangerous with the ball.

Everton seem to be getting a bit overrun in midfield. Worth a switch to 4-3-3 and go like for like?

Or is Big Dunc hoping for a 1-0 win?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Three man midfield is definitely the way to go for us but Duncan and Ancelotti were both obsessed with playing Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin as a front two. 🤷‍♂️

Some cunt threw a Lucozade bottle that hit Cash and Digne in the celebrations there.

4 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Ah well, Liverpool aren't playing today but that incident will give them something to celebrate nonetheless.

As I was literally typing.

Just joking.

Really poor half from your lot though. Not a single attempt.

• Subscriber

We have absolutely nobody to link the midfield to the attack. The Sigurdsson thing was unfortunate but it does make it all the more baffling that Benitez went so far out of his way to get rid of James. He had his faults but we could have done with some of his guile today and plenty of other occasions this season. Our attacks right now seem to be based on hoping 50-50s fall in our favour in dangerous positions and then go for the throat.

1 minute ago, RondónEFC said:

We have absolutely nobody to link the midfield to the attack. The Sigurdsson thing was unfortunate but it does make it all the more baffling that Benitez went so far out of his way to get rid of James. He had his faults but we could have done with some of his guile today and plenty of other occasions this season. Our attacks right now seem to be based on hoping 50-50s fall in our favour in dangerous positions and then go for the throat.

James is apparently playing like shit in an Arab league. I’m not sure he’s better than the nonce anymore.

I'm a bit disappointed with the crowd tbh. I really thought Goodison would be a cauldron today, get behind Ferguson and his boys but you really wouldn't know it.

Even at 1-0 down, you'd think the crowd would stick at it because sometimes, funny things can happen when the fans are still with you but its not been like that.

Huge credit to Villa really for nullyfying the atmosphere.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

James is apparently playing like shit in an Arab league. I’m not sure he’s better than the nonce anymore.

He was fine last season.

This is so rubbish, can't even question the work rate and while we've arguably been slightly unlucky in the second half, it's not enough to claim we deserve a point and this is a home game against a mid-table side. That's how bad we are now.

This should shut down any talk of Ferguson being considered for the permanent job as well. Blood and thunder is great but if all he can conjure tactically is a 4-4-2 which has left our strikers and wingers isolated and out of large stretches of the game, it's not good enough.

My hope was that Ferguson could get enough of a tune out of them that he could have a couple of months or perhaps the rest of the season so we could employ a Director of Football who would then have a say in the permanent manager choice like a normal club. Can't afford to do that on this evidence.

I saw about 20 minutes of the 2nd.

Thought Everton lacked a bit of finesse in attack, too many attacking balls over-hit or played wide instead of slightly forward.

Longer term like the look of Gordon looks like he will be decent player very soon. 

Everton just continue their substandard performances. A home loss against Villa isn't great, but I can't say that I am too surprised. Their form has been very poor recently and it didn't change today under new caretaker manager Duncan Ferguson. I hope Ferguson or another potential future manager can get them playing more cohesive football and bring the best out of this team.

Not seen the game but ViIla’s line up is sexy, there really is potential for them to do a bit of a Leicester in the coming seasons and more so than West Ham who are currently occupying those spaces. If Gerrard can bring the intensity he brought to Rangers then Villa fans will be living in a mini golden age.

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm a bit disappointed with the crowd tbh. I really thought Goodison would be a cauldron today, get behind Ferguson and his boys but you really wouldn't know it.

Even at 1-0 down, you'd think the crowd would stick at it because sometimes, funny things can happen when the fans are still with you but its not been like that.

Huge credit to Villa really for nullyfying the atmosphere.

Was fiery and loud at the start but when the game went flat, so did the crowd. 

• The title was changed to Everton 0-1 Aston Villa - Saturday 22nd January, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Good to see the protest go ahead, the club is dying and fans are doing what they can to take it back. 

I've never known a more depressing time to be an Evertonian to be honest, I've not enjoyed going the game once this season, we are sleepwalking into the lower leagues and if it's not this season it'll be the next. With the new stadium (which will he fucking pointless in the Championship) we could easily be the next Leeds/Portsmouth/Charlton.

It's just sad, the 50+1 rule is long overdue in England. Owners killing football clubs is something that should never have been allowed to happen.

35 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not seen the game but ViIla’s line up is sexy, there really is potential for them to do a bit of a Leicester in the coming seasons and more so than West Ham who are currently occupying those spaces. If Gerrard can bring the intensity he brought to Rangers then Villa fans will be living in a mini golden age.

Buendia, Watkins & Coutinho as a front 3 today.

Bailey to return & Ings on the bench.

Ramsey really making the 3rd midfield spot his own has been a bonus. Lack of midfield depth is probably a next priority. Nakamba has been quite good defensively. Sanson looks an utter waste of time & money to me.

I'd be thinking a top half quality centre midfielder & central defender are probably the next 2 transfer targets, probably over the summer now. And for Gerrard to keep his personal momentum, it probably would need Villa to at least be doing a Wolves.

And Emi Martinez, Argentina's number 1 & penalty hero of the last Copa America, has just signed a new long term contract.

Villa certainly have the potential to be much, much better than average mid-table, which is where they have been since last season. And where many tend to judge them to be. And will rightly continue to, until they're not.

• Subscriber

Other results today have genuinely put Everton in the relegation discussion now. Didn't think it were possible (and I still don't think they'll actually go) but it's disgraceful really.

They're so bad against 'the rest' it's unreal. They've actually not avoided defeat to a side outside of the top six since the fourth game.

Archived