talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 23 Matches - 22-23rd January, 2022

football forum

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I hate Utd as much as anybody, but any outrage over that clear onside is laughable. 

Its tends to be the other way and they get given offside when they may not be. Not seen it but I'd be surprised if it was offside. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Man City claiming for handball there as it hits Salisu squarely in the face xDxD 

For a second there I thought you said he squirted in his face 😂

• Subscriber

Just watching Match of the Day. Cavani clearly, clearly offside in the build up to that goal. You can shove your diagonal VAR lines up your arse. Getting harder and harder to argue with those who argue that there's corruption in favour of the Super League Six. Embarrassing for the league.

Just now, RondónEFC said:

Just watching Match of the Day. Cavani clearly, clearly offside in the build up to that goal. You can shove your diagonal VAR lines up your arse. Getting harder and harder to argue with those who argue that there's corruption in favour of the Super League Six. Embarrassing for the league.

Mate.

I just knew Newcastle would sting us like that. Anyone that watched that first half and see Newcastle escape without conceeding could have predicted it.

It was such a poor goal to concede as well from our perspective, from Tyler Roberts losing possession twice, the foul by Llorente for the free kick and then the ball bouncing over Meslier's hand. Credit to Shelvey, he's decided to just give it a dig and it's gone in but it's a bit of a sickener.

For big parts of that game, we produced some great pressure and Newcastle were hanging on by a toenail. The problem was, everything that we created today just needed tapping in and that's no good when we don't have an out and out striker patrolling the 6 yard box. Dan James was our 'striker' and he isn't that minded to occupy those spaces. Great threat to turn a defence into an attack but his conversion rate is poor. Had Bamford played it would have been meat and drink for him, hense why so many pull backs in the box went awry.

I've got to begrudgingly give Newcastle credit because they did create a couple decent opportunities amongst the pressure we had, Meslier made a great save from Shelvey first half and Willock should definitely have finished it at the end, but more so it was very gutsy of them to hang in there defensively, something they have been heavily criticised for.

Especially in the first half when they looked at sixes and sevens, Dummet, Lascelles, Scharr, Trippier, I think they were all struggling and we kept getting in behind but the final bit of quality wasn't there. Somehow they kept fighting and saw off our threat to the point as the second half wore on, I think we became a little predictable and easier to snuff out. We never looked like equalising once they went in front.

Poor result, negates the win at West Ham now because you have to look at Newcastle as 3pts where they are but we need to keep perspective. We've got big players in the stands to come back and we will get stronger.

• Subscriber

This feels like the earliest dead rubber game of any season ever. Bar an extraordinary run either way I think we're finishing anywhere from 9th to 12th.

I know our team anyway. Choudhury and Vestergaard are out. Amartey's back. Justin's starting which is nice, I thought he looked good in parts against Spurs - he's such a fun player. Barnes is back in too.

But yeah, league feels like a bit of a damp squib in all honest.

4 hours ago, Dan said:

This feels like the earliest dead rubber game of any season ever. Bar an extraordinary run either way I think we're finishing anywhere from 9th to 12th.

I know our team anyway. Choudhury and Vestergaard are out. Amartey's back. Justin's starting which is nice, I thought he looked good in parts against Spurs - he's such a fun player. Barnes is back in too.

But yeah, league feels like a bit of a damp squib in all honest.

You've just got to write the season off haven't you. I'd say injuries added to a run of poor form has destroyed it.

Saying that you can still escape with a trophy so it's not all doom and gloom, Fa Cup or conference league. People may scoff at the conference league but its still a trophy on the shelf.

11 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

Hes clearly onside. His arms are out which perhaps makes it look like hes offside but hes clearly on. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, 6666 said:

That's us out of the race for top 4. Can't be dropping points like that. Hope we hit another good run soon.

Yeah, same... 

xD

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Devil said:

You've just got to write the season off haven't you. I'd say injuries added to a run of poor form has destroyed it.

Saying that you can still escape with a trophy so it's not all doom and gloom, Fa Cup or conference league. People may scoff at the conference league but its still a trophy on the shelf.

I'd focus all efforts on the cups as well but I've a bad feeling we won't. Can see them taking a really half arsed approach in Europe though as I don't think they'll view either the trophy or Europa League as a strong incentive (I personally disagree as a fan but I just think that's how they'll see it). FA Cup, well, we should know what can happen. Just for god sake do not lose at Forest, I cannot bare the thought of it.

Anyhow todays game - totally predictable. Fair result but one we largely brought upon ourselves by inviting trouble and eventually caving in. I just cannot process what goes through his head. We're awful every time we play five defenders. We were doing fine at 1-0.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived