talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Red Dead Redemption 2 vs Uncharted 4 vs The Last Of Us 2 vs Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Red Dead Redemption 2
Starts out well and then becomes a grind like a real grind. The story is good and while you can't fault Rockstar when it comes to this genre I think the first one was considerably better and fresher.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Hideo loses the plot a bit here and the open world game really doesn't suit a Gear game imo. You can spend so much time out in the open vs actually doing really stealth and fighting that it gets boring at times.

Uncharted 4
Very good from ND and have to say that while its not my favorite from the series its actually a good run through.

The Last Of Us 2
I still can't get why this got so much hate when it came out. It's a good game and progresses the story very well.

And I agree with Tommy, they can't be compared with each other haha.

• Subscriber
On 22/01/2022 at 09:34, Mel81x said:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Starts out well and then becomes a grind like a real grind. The story is good and while you can't fault Rockstar when it comes to this genre I think the first one was considerably better and fresher.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Hideo loses the plot a bit here and the open world game really doesn't suit a Gear game imo. You can spend so much time out in the open vs actually doing really stealth and fighting that it gets boring at times.

Uncharted 4
Very good from ND and have to say that while its not my favorite from the series its actually a good run through.

The Last Of Us 2
I still can't get why this got so much hate when it came out. It's a good game and progresses the story very well.

And I agree with Tommy, they can't be compared with each other haha.

I tried playing Metal Gear solid, my brother has played them all he's an hardcore fan. Couldn't get into it. I've not played Red Dead Redemption but many say it's the greatest game ever made? From what I've read and viewed, I know I won't like it as I prefer full on action. But I reckon I'll give it a go sometime this year.

I get what you mean about The Last Of Us 2. The hate from what I've read stems from 2 reason. Firstly because Joel died so early in the game and secondly, many think the game is too long. It's my all time favorite game to be honest. But for me the first game had a better storyline, The Last Of Us is a huge emotional roller-coaster. 

For me the Unchartered series is pure fun. No nonsense action-packed. A game which for me doesn't take itself too seriously. 

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, MUFC said:

I tried playing Metal Gear solid, my brother has played them all he's an hardcore fan. Couldn't get into it. I've not played Red Dead Redemption but many say it's the greatest game ever made? From what I've read and viewed, I know I won't like it as I prefer full on action. But I reckon I'll give it a go sometime this year.

I get what you mean about The Last Of Us 2. The hate from what I've read stems from 2 reason. Firstly because Joel died so early in the game and secondly, many think the game is too long. It's my all time favorite game to be honest. But for me the first game had a better storyline, The Last Of Us is a huge emotional roller-coaster. 

For me the Unchartered series is pure fun. No nonsense action-packed. A game which for me doesn't take itself too seriously. 

RDR is definitely a hall of fame  game. It's got a lot of good going about it that you don't truly get in the GTA games which have a hall of famer in there, in particular Vice City. 

When it comes to Metal Gear, I think Metal Gear Solid is a classic and I'd drop Snake Eater in the same category. It redefined stealth as a concept and its predecessor on the SNES/<that weird ROM machine> is also a game changer for the way people viewed that kind of game. Oddly enough Kojima himself has stated he didn't want it to be too easy where you were running and gunning which doesn't translate to the narrative of everything going on in the game. I think the first Solid game might be the only one in the entire series that is true action-paced and probably has the best villains/antagonists too, the rest are more off-shoots and the story gets harder to decipher than a ball of yarn at one point.

As for Uncharted, I like the series but if you ask me honestly I prefer Lara Croft's reworked Tomb Raider from Crystal Dynamics more than I do Naughty Dog's adventure series. 

• Subscriber
On 21/01/2022 at 14:41, MUFC said:

They all have human beings and guns.

Let’s Chuck another 316 games on there then ;) .

i actually haven’t completed any of these. I still need to complete RDR one. After seeing @Mel81x post, that’s my priority. Before other games in this thread.

On 22/01/2022 at 07:38, Whiskey said:

RDR1 is one of the best games ever made, RDR2 is the best looking game ever made but is a massive pile of shite once you get past the fact that everything looks beautiful.

I think massive pile of shite is harsh. I thought it was a very good game, but they've clearly gone out of their way to make things a bit more tedious and drag the game out for much longer. But yeah, RDR1 is arguably one of the best games of all time. I still massively enjoyed the sequel - even though I think it has some of the issues many massive modern open world games have.

MGS: The Phantom Pain was fucking shite imo... and I normally love MGS games, even though I think the stories are mostly incomprehensible and I have no idea what's really going on... I usually have a lot of fun playing them. But the Phantom Pain was just shite.

Uncharted 4 I never played... but I don't really like the Uncharted series that much. I think they're very pretty games, but I just can't stand the main character you play as xD

Last of Us 2 I also never played but I absolutely loved the first one... I think that one's a masterpiece. The sequel is nowhere near as popular as the first one, but I think it's really tough to follow up a game like Last of Us with a sequel that's going to please everyone. But I can't really comment on that one and Uncharted 4.

So out of those 4, I'd go with RDR2.

RDR2

cowboy simulator played at a snail’s pace, 5 minutes of exposition, now shoot them guys 

uncharted 4

indiana jones but with more climbing

the last of us 2

talk talk talk “we don’t use the word ‘fun’”

metal gear v

it is wasn’t finished, but from what it was designed to do, it is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 24/01/2022 at 05:20, Mel81x said:

RDR is definitely a hall of fame  game. It's got a lot of good going about it that you don't truly get in the GTA games which have a hall of famer in there, in particular Vice City. 

When it comes to Metal Gear, I think Metal Gear Solid is a classic and I'd drop Snake Eater in the same category. It redefined stealth as a concept and its predecessor on the SNES/<that weird ROM machine> is also a game changer for the way people viewed that kind of game. Oddly enough Kojima himself has stated he didn't want it to be too easy where you were running and gunning which doesn't translate to the narrative of everything going on in the game. I think the first Solid game might be the only one in the entire series that is true action-paced and probably has the best villains/antagonists too, the rest are more off-shoots and the story gets harder to decipher than a ball of yarn at one point.

As for Uncharted, I like the series but if you ask me honestly I prefer Lara Croft's reworked Tomb Raider from Crystal Dynamics more than I do Naughty Dog's adventure series. 

Being honest I only played Shadow Of The Tomb Raider from that Tomb Raider series. I found Lara's character to be quite bland. It was full of puzzles and not much shooting action which I prefer. What I like about Unchartered is the supporting cast to the main characters, they really quite good. Last of us 1 and 2 also have this, where you travel in two's or three's. 

Saying that, one of my mate loves Tomb Raider. He said Unchartered is all the same. Go for Treasure, get kidnaped and never find the treasure lol.

• Subscriber
On 24/01/2022 at 18:18, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think massive pile of shite is harsh. I thought it was a very good game, but they've clearly gone out of their way to make things a bit more tedious and drag the game out for much longer. But yeah, RDR1 is arguably one of the best games of all time. I still massively enjoyed the sequel - even though I think it has some of the issues many massive modern open world games have.

MGS: The Phantom Pain was fucking shite imo... and I normally love MGS games, even though I think the stories are mostly incomprehensible and I have no idea what's really going on... I usually have a lot of fun playing them. But the Phantom Pain was just shite.

Uncharted 4 I never played... but I don't really like the Uncharted series that much. I think they're very pretty games, but I just can't stand the main character you play as xD

Last of Us 2 I also never played but I absolutely loved the first one... I think that one's a masterpiece. The sequel is nowhere near as popular as the first one, but I think it's really tough to follow up a game like Last of Us with a sequel that's going to please everyone. But I can't really comment on that one and Uncharted 4.

So out of those 4, I'd go with RDR2.

The first Last Of Us is a great story, never seen a better one in gaming. You really do get emotionally dragged into it. The second one didn't have  a story as good. But I liked playing both Ellie and sexy biceps Abby. It let you see things from both characters perspective. 

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, MUFC said:

Being honest I only played Shadow Of The Tomb Raider from that Tomb Raider series. I found Lara's character to be quite bland. It was full of puzzles and not much shooting action which I prefer. What I like about Unchartered is the supporting cast to the main characters, they really quite good. Last of us 1 and 2 also have this, where you travel in two's or three's. 

Saying that, one of my mate loves Tomb Raider. He said Unchartered is all the same. Go for Treasure, get kidnaped and never find the treasure lol.

Yeah Tomb Raider does suffer from not having enough outright shootup action like the originals did but I like the fact that you can explore and theres an element of platforming to it which Uncharted started out with then slowly turned in favor of narrative which is a Naughty Dog staple. 

• Subscriber

Ive played 3 of the 4.

TLOU2 - I go back and forth between this and God of War for best game for PS4. Ive waxed on about it and been meaning to go back and play both games again, easily couple of the best video games of all time imo. 

RDR2 - I dont know what people expected? its a slow burner, intentionally slow paced and I loved every minute of it. Theres so many things to do apart from the main strory and if that doesnt interest you then just plow through the main story.. its still incredibly well done. Id still rate it in the top 5 ps4 games.

Uncharted 4 - really fun series overall. I thought the 4th was the best of the bunch, adding something as simple as the grappeling mechanic funnily enough added more to the gameplay then I thought possible. The graphics and story are tops and its just fun from start to finish. Id recommend the series to anyone. Probably would be third on this list though. 

• 10 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 16/12/2022 at 15:00, MUFC said:

Is Red Dead 1 any good?

Worth every penny you'll spend on it. When it first came out, I loved that they took a simple era and did wonders with it. Ghost of Tsushima was just as good when it started out and I loved that game just as much as RDR. 

The problem with all these open world games is that the side-quests tend to have repetitive mechanics that get boring after a while and then there's the stupid skill tree which just amps itself if you're willing to grind. I feel like what FromSoftware have done with the bosses and mid-game challenges redefined how to do open world where you have to really understand the world to traverse it or you're going to get your ass handed to you on a plate. With RDR, Metal Gear, etc. you feel absolutely no threat and just roam to cause wanton destruction. But, its terribly fun and a good time-pass before coming back to the mainline to finish the story.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived