The better place to talk football.

2017 Wimbledon

football forum

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Oh for fuck's sake. Muller has just broken Cilic and looks nailed on to force a fifth set. I hate Cilic but having a semi final between Querrey and Muller would be an absolute atrocity.

How? If they both get to the semi final's then they both deserve to be there. I can understand Querrey having a bit of luck with Murray's injury but he still put himself in that position in the first place. 

I would much rather see the big 4 at the end but whoever else gets there fully deserves it and it's far from an atrocity. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

How? If they both get to the semi final's then they both deserve to be there. I can understand Querrey having a bit of luck with Murray's injury but he still put himself in that position in the first place. 

I would much rather see the big 4 at the end but whoever else gets there fully deserves it and it's far from an atrocity. 

I'm not saying they don't deserve it, I'm just sulking that Murray lost.

• Administrator

what happened with Murray earlier? Saw the score in the last 2 sets and he got smashed? Injury taking its toll? In the matches leading up to today, it had looked as if he wasn't moving too freely...

• Subscriber

Murray limping badly on his way out of the complex. Hope he's not out too long with that. 

Djokovic looks like he could be going the same way. Lost the first set to Berdych on a tie break and now receiving treatment. 

Federer two sets up and 4-4 in the third with Raonic. I'll be surprised now if he drops a set on the way to this title. 

• Subscriber

Federer came through a test there after Roanic had multiple break points but Federer came through the first test in the match for him.

Djokovic losing the 1st set too.... this is looking better and better for Federer. 

• Subscriber

Djokovic has retired having gone 2-0 down in the second set. What a shame :( .

Federer is one set, a win over Berdych then Cilic or Querrey away from an eighth Wimbledon title. 

Tomorrow's order of play is out. Muguruza v Rybarikova at 1pm then Venus v Konta. Garbine should comfortably win her match, hopefully Johanna can reach the final on Saturday. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Will he be the new world number 1 if he wins here? 

nope. Think Nadal and (lesser chance) Djokovic could only overtake him. But as Nadal got knocked out last round, he lost his chance. Djokovic going out as same stage as Murray means he can't either.

Federer will rise I think though if he does win. 

• Subscriber

Wawrinka also had a chance of being number one after Wimbledon but he lost in the first round. 

The current post-Wimbledon rankings are

1. Murray 7750

2. Nadal 7465

3. Djokovic 6325

4. Wawrinka 6140

5. Federer 5265

If Federer wins the tournament, which he will, he'll go onto 6545 points making him world number three. As Federer didn't play after Wimbledon last year, any points he gets until December get added on without him losing any points from last year. Nadal is in a similar position having not won much at the back end of last year, Wawrinka has 2000 points to defend as US Open champion which will come off when they're replaced by whatever he earns this year, Djokovic has a few decent points hauls to defend from last year but it is Murray who has the most, 1000 points each at Canada, Shanghai and Paris before the end of the year, 1500 from the World Tour Finals and a few 500 and 600s.

To summarise, the battle is between Nadal and Federer to end the year at number one barring an unprecedented rampage from Murray or Djokovic in the second half of the year. With Andy defending so many points from last year, it is a matter of time before he is usurped at the top as, even if he retains a good amount of those points by performing well again this autumn, Fed and Rafa are just piling on more points due to there being nothing to defend from last year.

Hope that makes some sense...

• The topic was unpinned

Archived