talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Colourblind Issues in Football

football forum

Having followed Kieran Maguire (Price of Football) on Twitter, I've noticed how common it is that matches take place between teams wearing kits that are indistinguishable for the 8% of the male population that are colourblind. 

When leagues can spend a whole lot of time fussing over the smallest of details, you'd have thought they could have some system to determine if a kit clash is going to happen.

A league could have these kit match ups determined at the very start of the season and sorted out then. 

The NFL had an issue once with a Red/Green matchup in a game, but more often than not dictates that one team play in light/white whilst the other plays in dark/colour. Surely football, at least at a high level could have something similar in place for this proportion of its fan (and probably players).

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel like to the average fan it could seem like an overblown issue but as you say it’s something that teams would be made aware of to include those fans so a poor decision not to.

I think teams take the piss a bit anyway with some of the kit clashes they get away with. Some teams away kit can seem a shade or two different from their home

Didn’t realise the figures were as high as they were, in all honesty, so that was the first surprise when I saw this on his twitter feed. 

I mean, it doesn’t affect me but I wouldn’t be bothered either if they said that they were actively going to avoid this issue from occurring, going forwards. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I mean, it doesn’t affect me but I wouldn’t be bothered either if they said that they were actively going to avoid this issue from occurring, going forwards. 

This.

It doesn't harm anyone by catering to (I use that phrase lightly, just can't think of another way) colourblind fans.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

This.

It doesn't harm anyone by catering to (I use that phrase lightly, just can't think of another way) colourblind fans.

People get the hump about the amount of times teams unnecessarily use an away shirt anyway, at least this would have some sensible reasoning behind it. 

I know video games often have colour blind settings because some games had made it impossible for colourblind people to figure out what they were looking. - I wonder if TVs could have a similar setting to help colour blind people be able to keep track of the who's on what team when they watch football.

Because looking at that picture of how a colourblind person would see things... I imagine that is just so infuriatingly frustrating. If 8% of the population is colourblind, that probably means more players than we realise also probably struggle with the same thing - which is something I'd never really thought about. Shame there's probably no fix for players who are in the shoes of the viewer where they can't tell which kit is an opponent or teammate at an immediate glance.

• 4 months later...

Archived