talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dan does the Pentagon Challenge

football forum

• Subscriber

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE

To cut the long and short, we made no errors at all. We were brilliant and I think on this form you have to consider us one of the favourites for the trophy. In what I thought looked testing on paper, we made virtually no slips at all.

image.png

I thought this would be a real test but in all honesty, Al-Ahly were just Al-Hilal all over again. A big team I'd hyped up and they were absolutely awful. I actually think in the games we played they were probably our easiest. We won 0-4 and Egypt and then beat them 3-1 at home following about 6 changes due to a farcical fixture list. The other two, both relatively comfortable but did make us work, and neither were as easy to break down. Al-Ahly went through though having delivered against the others.

I'm not 100% how these draws work but I think we had three possible opponents in the next round - basically a 2nd placed finisher who we weren't in a group with. So that's either another game with Sundowns, Raja Casablanca, or ASEC Mimosas.

It's everyone's favourite feeder club, for the Chiefs.

image.png

We travel to the Ivory Coast to take on ASEC Mimosas. Tricky but winnable. In all honesty though after what Al-Ahly served up against us I'm not convinced I've any clue even guessing what's to come. Just enjoy the ride and get them beaten.

The league however, is looking less fun.

image.png

Quite honestly, what's happened to us in the league of late I can't really explain. The away form has been particularly poor. We're still in title contention but we're going to have to beat Sundowns at home, and probably not lose at a massively improved Orlando Pirates to do it.

The priority is the Champions League, but it would be a shame to win that without bagging the league. That would mean having to play a season possibly just to get it as I don't really want to leave without it xD but needs must. We'll see.

image.png

Nearly forgot to mention, Baliso is back on loan. I needed the extra firepower.

Sundowns at home is my next league game. A huge game. I think if we don't win we're probably not going to win the league.

I'm playing reserve sides in the Nedbank Cup and we still keep winning.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

ASEC MIMOSAS / SHAMBOLIC LEAGUE FORM

I'll get the dog shit of the league form out of the way first. Honestly. This has gotten silly now. I hit a point where I thought OK we're in a battle, we're stumbling and making silly errors, but our lack of goals have become ridiculous and the goalkeepers form has dropped off massively as well.

Basically the league title has gone. Sundowns won away here courtesy of the most absurdly good goalkeeping display I've seen, certainly on FM22 anyway, we had an xG of nearly 4 and somehow never scored. He was imperious. He got a 9.9 rating which I think is the highest I remember. From then I've known the league title was unlikely but we've continued to blow it in other silly games. We drew 0-0 at Cape Town City (who are awful) and now we've just lost the derby at Orlando Pirates as well, yet another 1-0.

In all honesty this season is actually not a million miles off turning into a real underperformance. To say we were title favourites, we're out of the race essentially with 5 games left. Sundowns are just waiting for confirmation. The real worry is that the form has dipped so much that the surprise package, Baroka, are now to be taken as a serious threat to come 2nd, which would banish us out of the Champions League for next season - meaning I've got at least another two years here if I don't win it this time.

And with such terrible form, it's quite hard to be too optimistic.

image.png

----

We travelled to Ivory Coast for the second time this season. The first leg was infuriating. We looked pretty dominant without creating anything too clear cut, got sucker punched in the 50th minute but scored a free kick on the hour, although the performance in the second half was dire and bar those two goals there was barely a chance between us.

We draw 1-1 away. It's OK. I think it's enough of a footing to progress from. 72,000 turn up. Away goals count so if we don't concede at home, we're through.

It takes us around 90 seconds. The same striker goes through again, rounds the keeper and puts ASEC ahead. I'm genuinely worried now. These things just weren't happening to us early doors. We now need to win on the night and that becomes a big ask especially if they get a second.

Thankfully though, this time, our seemingly relentless pressure actually pays off. Makgopa's reintroduction for the misfiring Baliso is welcome and we take them apart.

image.png

It's a really good performance, and something you would hope is a confidence booster. It's a massive win as well - we're in the semi finals in my first attempt. Such as the oddity of this season, while it's overall feeling quite negative, you have to remember we're only three games from completing Africa. It feels soon, but this is the credit building a good reputation brings.

An absolutely mental night of Champions League action sees ridiculous drama at virtually every game.

image.png

Al-Ahly are dumped out by the Congans. I had a feeling they would be. They're a real new name to me, Vita. Al-Ahly were 3-0 up at home of the first leg yet somehow fall out of the competition.

The shock of the night came in Tunisia. Sahel have won this the last three seasons and they absolutely crumbled at home to a side who went through with just 6 points in their group.

What was also odd is that both Casablanca sides were in the same group, while Raja got 6 points, Wydad got 18 - and yet it's Raja who make the semis. There are two South African sides in the final. I don't want them in another final. I cannot believe we'll beat them in three finals in a year. I'm stung by that nightmare against them in the league.

The semis though.

It's Raja Casablanca. We're at home first. It's probably the most passable of the three, but then like I said before ASEC, who even knows anymore, it's genuinely hard to predict. What I do know however is the final is actually at AS Vita's ground, which is crap news.

The league has gone, but we might not need it.

• Subscriber

RAJA CASABLANCA

It was time for our semi final. The league form had picked up somewhat but we still needed maximum points to even guarantee 2nd. The big one has arrived though. 85,000 turn up this time, which is the biggest crowd I believe I have managed a game under in my career. This is a big club with a big fanbase. It was made to play on nights like these.

From the first minute until the last we are relentless. We seem to have a hold on teams in Africa and even if there's the odd silly draw in there, we just seem to overpower teams. We're having 30+ shots a game. We're horrible to play against.

We run out 4-0 winners. Never at any point looking in any doubt who was going to go through. It will be a different challenge in Morocco but I feel we've gained enough of an advantage to be confident of progression.

The eyes then turned to DR Congo where Sundowns travelled to AS Vita. In a pretty mad game they ran out 2-3 winners meaning the very likely possibility is an all South African final. Quite incredible how after only six appearances from South African sides in the Champions League final, and only two winners, there is now almost certainly going to be two in there at once.

---

We lose in Morocco but only 1-0. We are there. Our second ever final and I've done it in my first attempt. I've such mixed feelings. Delighted in isolation but there's pressure on us.

Sundowns also make no mistake. It's on.

image.png

So only the fourth final with a meeting between two teams of the same nationality. Our third final against Mamelodi Sundowns this season. It's going to be tough. I've sensed this was coming a lot of the season. We've both looked pretty dangerous.

A few games away and I may have number two of five secured. I suppose the question is, if I do it, what to do after?

---

I'm in a quite strange position. I haven't won the league and feel it would be a shame to leave without doing so. Can I justify spending another season here just to try and win it (even though it's far from guaranteed). Yet if we lose I feel like I'm going to be here a while. We're in quite serious danger of finishing 3rd and given I'm going to throw everything at this final, I may drop more points in the league. Should we finish 3rd and not win against Sundowns, it means I'm not even in the Champions League next season.

I'll play it by ear. It feels early to bag it, but then again, I did start with a big team.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I'm looking forward to the next update!

It's a weird position this, it feels so soon, I've only been in Africa 13 months xD in a way it's better for the story in a way if we lose but finish 2nd in the league.

But meh I dunno, these chances are rare.

• Subscriber

Slightly worrying stat... at both Gangwon and Kaizer Chiefs, I am unbeaten in continental competition against teams from outside my own league. At Gangwon I literally only lost to Korean teams.

• Subscriber

CAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL - MAMELODI SUNDOWNS VS KAIZER CHIEFS

image.png

Stade des Martyrs (Kinshasa, DR Congo) - 92,000

It feels so soon doesn't it. Just 18 months after winning the Asian Champions League, I am back in another final. Africa may fall a lot quicker than Asia has done, but if we do it, we've earned it. We put together that brilliant run at the back end of last season, we beat Swallows in the crucial last day game to book our place, and we've been relentless throughout the run.

So it brings us to DR Congo. The first all South African final to ever take place. The second final in Kaizer Chiefs' history - the other being unsuccessful in 2021 against Al-Ahly. Sundowns have fared a little better, winning it for the only time in 2016, beating Zamalek, though did lose in 2001 and 2003 - both to Al-Ahly. Orlando Pirates are the only other successful South African side in this competition, lifting it in 1995, beating ASEC in the final.

But we're here. I'm one win in a final against a side I've already beaten in two finals away from ticking the box for Africa. I rest everybody in a league game at Chippa United (which we still win) and we're fresh, ready to throw everything at Sundowns.

First blood goes to Chiefs. It's a nicely probed bit of play around the middle, where we are usually dangerous, and Steve Mkhize rifles a 25 yard shot into the top corner. Perfect.

We show no signs of slowing down. Ex Sundowns man Thando Buthelezi is terrorising them. I play him as a left sided mezzalla and nobody seems to know how to defend against it. He charges down the wing, pulls the ball back and Luthando Mti slots home for 2-0. We've been brilliant. He's been on such a goal draught of late although did end it with a penalty in a league win, but yet despite this I never dropped him as he's just simply too good. He's playing well without the goals. Well now he has one on the biggest stage of all.

The rest of the half is a little dull but that's fine. Sundowns haven't had a sniff and we look in a great position to go all the way. I decide it's time to start bringing out the timewasting, the playing for set pieces. Just kill the clock, bring them down, frustrate them and don't let them create anything. They're potent, far more so than us.

The second half is underway and it remains pretty dull, but that's the tactic working. Buthelezi has a knock and needs to come off but I am going to get what I can out of him here.

In the 70th minute, I get my reward, he adds a goal to his two assists with a great guided header. It's 3-0 and I think we've done it. I really do. I take Buthelezi off for Ndlovu, shift the tactic to the other side (I'll explain this another time) and go to full time waste mode.

It backfires quite quickly. Sundowns first serious chance all game and it's 3-1. Absolutely laughable. Do they ever miss? We miss a good chance to go 4-1 up before with 5 minutes left, striker Jacob Amoojee (a target of mine) goes through, dinks it over the keeper and Ndawa can only smash the clearance into the net. It's game on. It's 3-2.

I'm panicking now. Our out ball is no longer working. We're tiring and Sundowns seem to score every time they get a sniff. Injury time turns into what you expect, Sundowns pushing and we try to block and counter, but the counters often die out.

With 95:35 on the block, the referee blows.

image.png

We did it. We have the African Champions League. We have three final wins over Sundowns in a season.

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That was short compared to the others. xD

Where you heading off next chief?

I am learning Spanish!

Ohh congrats. Get out of there I reckon even if you don’t win the league? Or will it feel empty? 

I haven’t played FM for many years can you learn other languages as a manager on it? Haha. South America beckons? Or North America? 

• Subscriber
On 01/06/2022 at 00:04, Toinho said:

Ohh congrats. Get out of there I reckon even if you don’t win the league? Or will it feel empty? 

I haven’t played FM for many years can you learn other languages as a manager on it? Haha. South America beckons? Or North America? 

I'm sticking around for now but I'll see how into it I really get and whether I can be bothered to stick out another full season.

You can learn languages but you just naturally pick them up when you're there. On this I'm apparently fluent in English, Malay, Korean, and have a basic understanding of basic Sesotho. 

I'm not learning Spanish really but I'll know it when I move to my next job. My eyes are on the Americas. It's most likely going to be Mexico though.

• Subscriber

2033/34 - THE BONUS SEASON IN SOUTH AFRICA

Although I have technically conquered Africa, I've made a decision to stay an extra year in it.

A lot of people play the pentagon challenge and they try and speed through it as quickly as possible. The truth is though following the long stint in Asia I'm simply never going to post a time that's anything special and I've become a little more focused now on accumulation of trophies as much as how quickly I get the 5 relics. That's not to say I'm going to stick here forever, I mean this is very much my last season in Africa regardless of what pans out, but I just felt after such a piss poor league campaign last year I needed to have a proper crack at winning it. Kaizer Chiefs are the best resourced club in South Africa. How can leave there without a league title?

By no means am I guaranteed it by sticking around. I actually think this is one of the most fun, balanced leagues I've played in on FM. There's no totally obvious winner in it, there's obviously a few more likely than others but it feels a bit more competitive than most leagues. It helps that it's relatively low scoring too as it makes the chance a team just blows everyone away less likely. It's a fun league in its own right. I owe another crack towards it, but if I fail, we move on.

---

It's a manic season though and it has tested me on occasion. For some context, here is last seasons league table, which I don't think I ever actually posted;

image.png

I did put a lot of focus on the Champions League but to finish below Baroka is pretty embarrassing. Although virtually all of the underlying metrics said we should've done a lot better than we did. Once again a poor goalkeeper is costing us and we ought to score more than we did too - despite having the best attack and defence in the league. A really bizarre table.

This time around the bulk of my focus is on the league, and this has panned out...

image.png

I'm not totally satisfied but we are well in the race. Baroka I'm starting to think are less of a surprise package, and more actually quite a good team.

I've also retained every cup I won last season.

We actually had 7 trophies to go for this season, which is wild, even for this league.

image.png

No mistakes made in the MTN8 or the Telkom. We nearly played another two finals v Sundowns but they lost in both semi finals. Champions League has been a relative doddle, beating St Georges of Ethiopia (second year running for an Ethiopian side) and Diambars FC of Senegal, a side who I'm totally perplexed to find Chiefs actually managed to lose twice to a few years ago.

I controversially signed Sundowns striker Jacob Amoojee in the summer, activating his £475k release clause and paying him probably slightly above the odds. We have the most money in this league and I'm not planning on being around for ages, so I'm going to be more bullish. It's certainly worked to an extent. He's been terrific.

image.png

Below are my results so far this season. I have to admit, I was close to sacking these off when Baroka beat us, but I had a very presentable trophy just after so stayed, and they've lured me back in. I'm going to ride this season out, but I am keeping my eyes peeled for those Mexican jobs.

image.png

image.png

The target is to win the league and anything else is a bonus. I think the CL could be a problem this year as I'm not really prioritising it - and Setif showed that the others aren't all rollovers.

Here's to my next few months, and final in Africa!

• Subscriber

SEASON HEATING UP / WWWWW....

We've been relentless since the break. In-fact, that Baroka game that I signed I nearly resigned after was the last time we dropped points! xD

image.png

The league as we know is the priority, but I really think the game just underpowers the teams of the leagues you don't (or can't in this instance) load. I played weakened sides in a few of those games and still got 6 wins out of 6. I mean great for us but it actually takes away a bit from achievements if it's that simple.

We do have good depth in the squad though - so we should as we've got comfortably the biggest wage bill in the league now. I've spent quite a bit of money, with another two players joining us in January. I do think I'm at a point where I could change probably 9/10 players and beat a lot of sides in this league.

But that said, the league games do feel like the trickier ones. The Orlando Pirates win was absolutely massive - both of us have been relentless in the league and that felt like a really pivotal game, as the league table below shows.

image.png

First of all I have to say - fair fucking play to Baroka. They're actually to be taken totally seriously in this. It's a three horse race now and I never thought they would be the third horse. Sundowns, who are the relatively dominant side in this league, are nowhere - though it helps when you take their best striker off them (he has been absolutely sensational for us as well).

I think now we've beaten Pirates we're well capable of doing it. We do have a quite tough run in though - Pirates are the only other top 7 side we don't play. Baroka and TS Galaxy are very late, though luckily our final game is at home to Mbombela.

Factor in we're also still in the cup. We stand a very good chance of winning all three - most of the big hitters are out and we're still in.

And also still in the Champions League. A sextuple isn't actually implausible. But I do think the rate of games is going to force me into some rotation that'll cost us. I cannot believe we'll keep winning at this rate. In-fact I think our trip to Swallows is a banana skin, despite their awful season.

The Champions League. It's dejavu. It's ASEC again!

image.png

The final point is that I have handed in my resignation and will be leaving at the end of the season, regardless of what pans out. I've also applied for two fairly decent jobs in Mexico - so we'll see how they go.

• Subscriber

THE MONSTER HAS ARISEN

Strap yourselves in. This one is pretty mad.

April was mental. I've already posted the Alger and Pirates wins but we had a real banana skin of a fixture next away to Swallows. Swallows are a peculiar story. When I came to South Africa, I specifically said I wanted one of four clubs - Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates, Sundowns or SuperSport United. The truth is SuperSport are shit and Swallows have basically replaced them. They're a fairly new club, weirdly, based in the exact same part of Johannesburg as both Kaizer Chiefs & Orlando Pirates (why does one area of a city need three teams???) but they've done well throughout my save, albeit they're the bridesmaids, they hardly win anything but they so often finish 2nd. In-fact I worked out that since my save started, their average league finish is actually higher than Kaizer Chiefs, which is amazing really.

Anyhow I thought this was a tricky one. They were 13th in the league but it was a new manager's first game in charge so they're likely to have a bit of a bounce following some real underachievement and we've had such a horrible run of fixtures. It's even worse than I fear. We go down 4-1 and lose our winning run in pathetic style, despite going a goal up. I'm obviously a bit worried now.

We win in the cup against lower league Summerfield Dynamos meaning we're into the semis, and the treble of cups is only two wins away. Before then beating Amazulu at home courtesy of a 91st minute winner.

We knock ASEC Mimosas out again, drawing 1-1 away again, but this time a much tighter home tie - winning it 3-2. This surrounds a hammering of Maritzburg, a draw at Sundowns and another late winner at home to Uthongathi. We are top of the league but it's not convincing.

image.png

It's a good month really, Swallows excepted. I make us title favourites but this month is going to be solid. We have some more tricky league games, including the crunch game against Baroka, and a two legged Champions League semi against Egyptian giants Zamalek.

-----

May 2034

The month begins with bagging another cup final place after beating Maritzburg again. To say I haven't really gone for this cup it's quite funny at the seeming ease.

We're then dismal in Egypt and our long, excellent run in the CAF Champions League looks over. We lose 2-0, given away goals count and I am going to prioritise the Baroka league game over the second leg I think we look as good as out. Fair play to Zamalek who shut us out very well.

It's then a tricky trip to Cape Town City. Following Zamalek I fear this is going to be tough, but what pans out is as near to perfect as it could be. We win 0-3 and in other news, Baroka, our real title rival now, have lost their long unbeaten run at home to Sundowns and we go 4 clear of them with 3 league games left.

The situation then is this - if we beat Baroka we finish above them, but even if we draw we're almost certainly going to be OK because we face the already relegated bottom side at home on the opening day. We have astoundingly won 25 out of 25 home games in all competitions this season. We're just simply not dropping that game. In-fact Baroka have lost every single trip to Kaizer Chiefs since the save started too. So I make a decision to go strong against Zamalek. I think we can afford to. It's risky but we have breathing space in the league.

Enter the miracle of Soweto;

image.png

It is extraordinary. We push and we push and we blow the house down. We've made the final again. I do think the game has a tendency to underpower teams from non-selected leagues (so basically anyone outside of South Africa in this competition) but Zamalek were no mugs at all. That's a mammoth win, one of my best. I will sign off with Al-Ahly in the final. We lock horns again.

Is it the adrenaline or is it the others running out of steam? Because what follows this is a league title. Another extrarordinary game at our place sees the most hilarious of outcomes.

image.png

Baroka are absolutely crushed and Pirates loss to Cape Town Spurs has guaranteed the league title with two games left. 

We then win the Nedbank Cup with a 2-0 victory over SuperSport in the final. At every club I seem to have had one season that is barely believable. Terengganu 2025, Gangwon 2031, and then this - Kaizer Chiefs 2033/34. We have won the league, three cups, the Carling Black Label cup (if you count that) and are one win away from retaining the Champions League. What an amazing season and I'm glad I rode it out.

-----

Mexico

There'll be one more Chiefs update after this but I can confirm I have applied for three jobs in Mexico, and the most prestigious of those three is Monterrey. They have interviewed me at last and I think I stand a decent chance of getting it. This is likely to be my next move I think.

• Subscriber

ONE LAST HURRAH IN AFRICA

The league trophy in our cabinet, sitting so pretty next to those three cups. There's just one real game of significance left in my African adventure. We meet again with a bitter rival. No really, for all Kaizer Chiefs obvious rivals are Orlando Pirates, Sundowns etc... there is a bitter feud between them and Al-Ahly. Despite the thousands of miles between them, there is bitterness. It's beautiful in a weird way how it can be the case, but it is. Al-Ahly are the kings of Africa and have won it more than anybody. They're Africa's Real Madrid. A massive club steeped in success.

But we did them a year ago and I believe we can do them again. It feels like a home game for the Egyptians - it's played in Tunisia. We're also missing Amoojee, Sylla and a couple of others who aren't really ready either.

The game is pretty drab on the whole. We just gradually edge nearer and nearer to that vital goal but we just cannot get it. Ahly defend valiantly and look like they can hurt us themselves when they have a rare attack. They're a tough nut to crack. Certainly tougher than they were a year ago.

I've conserved our energy and I'm yet to even make a substitution ahead of extra time. I'm going to hit them with the fresh bodies and overpower them.

*name your penalty takers*

I'm a fucking idiot. The game goes to penalties. There is no extra time. I've got what I've been given. I have to make do. The price you pay for not reading the rules. We draw 0-0 and the game enters a penalty shootout.

I decide my order and this is it. Mti, Mbetha, Kannemeyer, Dukic and Whelan. The rest is a lottery.

Ahly go first and Sapula, my backup keeper (who has forced himself into first choice for large parts) saves it. Perfect.

Mti makes no mistake.

Ahly go again... Sapula saves AGAIN.

Mbetha finds the bottom corner.

So we've taken two each and we lead 2-0. We've got to really, really bottle this.

Unfortunately we start to. Ahly finally score, and Kanneyemer, usually reliable at set pieces, has his saved.

Ahly then make it 2-2. The pressure is back on the massive fourth penalty. Dukic, the Macedonian I signed from Ludogorets in the summer, makes no mistake. It's 3-2 to us with one left each.

Ahly score.

It's on Whelan. He's my real big game player I think. He's wildly inconsistent but he seems to deliver at the big moments for us.

He hits the post.

And it trickles in.

image.png

We have it in the bag. Two straight Champions Leagues. Five trophies this season. Simply miraculous.

A 6-1 win over already relegated Mbombela on the final day is the icing on the cake. What a terrific season. But that's all folks. My African adventure is over. Shorter than Asian, but sweet. It's my most successful club with 10 trophies in total, 8 major. We reflect...

image.png

image.png

• Subscriber
On 16/05/2022 at 02:11, Dan said:

GANGWON - THE REFLECTION

I'll do this at every club I manage but a bit of an overview of what took place and what I take from it going forward. This was another brilliant leg of the journey and one thing I always thought about myself on FM, is that other than my own club, I can put in a solid shift at virtually anywhere. Once again, this all went better than I thought it would. I moved to Gangwon to finally get a taste of a big Asian league, but it came with the jeopardy of us potentially dropping out of it in my first season.

Within 18 months we'd secured a top 4 finish in the K-League and continental football was on its way to Gangneung. The rise had been so stark that I wondered if this was where I could secure that big one and eventually, after some big disappointments, we managed it in 2031.

Gangwon provided a really decent platform. Whilst it is a relatively small and new club, without the fanbase of a bigger name in Korea, they do have a bit of money behind them. I was never short of transfer budget - usually around £2mil to play with which given I was able to bring in good players at this level for around £500k-£1mil, we were never going to be far off success if we spent sensibly.

262 games managed at Gangwon. 165 wins, 52 draws and 45 losses. A proud record again.

So again, I'm going to pick out five players who deserve a mention for their roles during my time, for different reasons.

---

image.png

Sim Won-Seong - Bouncebackability. That's what I credit him with above all. Sim was a centre half already at the club when I arrived, albeit undertaking his national service with Gimcheon. He returned shortly after I arrived and as per the majority of players who go to Gimcheon, he's come back worse than he should be following not making their side. I sense no future for him and he cottons onto this, becoming a real moaner trying his best to get out of the club. Injury forces us to give him a chance and fair play, he proves me wrong, he's faultless. I keep playing him. He just seems to get better and better. I would go as far as saying a player of the season candidate. He gets a bad injury and he comes back again. This bloke amazed me, every time I thought he was done he'd step in, often outperforming players I considered superior. He's retired now, but what a warrior.

image.png

Jun Si-Jin - My very first signing at Gangwon. I needed a striker as the ones I inherited were either shit or whinging arseholes. I got pelters from my squad for letting this Serbian go and Jun was my replacement. He was better than I could've possibly imagined. A really good all-round striker who, like Sim, just never seemed to stop even when you thought he was done. I was reluctant to loan him out to Busan in a season where we ended up winning the treble. He also broke our top scorer record - albeit he lost the record within about 2 games xD 

image.png

Shin Hae-Won - My second signing at Gangwon. Yet another I got from Busan in the 2nd tier, again, I just needed bodies to pad out my squad and in came the 19 year old midfielder, average but a bit of pace, "yeah he'll do". His development was sensational and I was gutted to have to lose him to Jeonbuk (Porto were interested!!), a shame he was never part of the side that got over the line, but he was ace, totally outperformed expectation.

image.png

Park Jin-Hyeon - Goal machine. A really good striker who left Gangwon when I did. He was the reason Jun's all-time record scorer only lasted a couple of games. There isn't as big a back story, but he's ultimately been a goal machine for the club and I'm intrigued to see if anybody beats his 107 goals (84 in the league) which he got in 4 years there. Delivered in big games and just a generally reliable striker. Love him and will be following what he does in Denmark. I think he'll score goals in Europe.

image.png

Carlo del Mastro - I couldn't not mention him could I? He's the best player I've managed on this save. He was the one who I think really got the ball rolling for the success on the pitch. While we did win plenty after he left, he was the player who elevated us from a bottom half side to one who got us winning trophies more than any I think, and he deserved his big move. He has now left Marseille though as you can see - he went for £9mil.

And finally, my all time Gangwon XI.

image.png

---

We are aiming for South Africa.

I have turned off all Asian leagues with the exception of Malaysia and South Korea, so I am able to track the progress of my old clubs (and believe me I'm not liking what's going on at Gangwon already). I have added Canada, USA and Mexico, so North America is an option, but given the stature it's really worth doing Africa next - I actually think in hindsight I'd have done Africa first, but never mind.

KAIZER CHIEFS - THE REFLECTION

We depart Africa after a very, very successful stint. We leave with two CAF Champions Leagues, one South African Premiership title, two MTN 8s, two Telkom Cups, one Nedbank Cup and two Carling Black Label cups. We played 124 games, won 96 of them, drew 12, lost 16, scored 283 and let in 89. We were dominant when all is said and done.

It was partially expected. Kaizer Chiefs are a very big club and had a lot of money. I left them with the substantially biggest wage bill in the league. For some context their annual wage bill is £5.23mil a year, the next highest, Swallows, is £3.14mil a year. So the pressure was on to deliver. But we did. We ended up with a big squad, lots of depth and I think despite the money spent, they're left in a position to continue to challenge. I don't leave them a legend like I did Gangwon, but I have made their list of favoured personnel and I think that's probably fair. They have a rich history which isn't something you could say about Gangwon.

As ever, I have aimed for five players who I think deserve a mention for what happened in my time there.

---

image.png

Luthando Mti - This bloke was just class from day one to the last. I've always had a bit of a thing for an all-round striker, so somebody can play as a striker in a 3-0 win, not score but be man of the match. He could score but he was so key in our build up play. Technically sound, creative, good in the air, just a really good player and somebody I'd quite like to have with me again if the situation was right. He even signed a new contract at Chiefs despite PSV interest due to "respect for you" which makes me feel guilty for leaving them just six months later!

image.png

Jacob Amoojee - This was the signing that epitomised the financial power this club had over the rest of the league. We paid Sundowns release clause to bring him in and not only did he weaken them, boy oh boy did he strengthen us. He was an absolute goal machine. He was also not a bad allrounder in my opinion.

image.png

Thando Buthelezi - He's the left field pick here but he was out on loan at Amazulu and transfer listed when I got there. In my system I play with a narrow 3 and I like a mezzala on one side of it, so he's almost like a half midfielder half winger. I saw his potential on the left side of my three and he was excellent, particularly brilliant in the first CL final too although sadly injured for the second. A great system player and somebody I felt got the absolute max from his talent.

image.png

Aphelele Kannemeyer - Signed him in my first summer. Just so reliable. Hardly ever had a bad game and pretty much the glue that held the team together. He's out of contract now too so I might be bring him along with me...

image.png

Abulele Whelan - As stated, the big game player. A box of tricks. Often infuriating, but often really fun as well. Had moments where he looked like Ronaldinho. Crucially though always seemed to deliver when the pressure was on, and got the winning penalty in Tunisia. Flawed, but very enjoyable.

Slightly less competition, but my alltime Kaizer Chiefs XI;

image.png

image.png

---

We have a new job. My Spanish lessons have come in handy. Stay tuned...

• Subscriber

image.png

---

CF Monterrey - We are back in the game. I have joined Mexican side CF Monterrey. I applied back in April but didn't hear anything back until an interview just before the Champions League final. A successful interview and a job offer from them, as well as CF Pachuca but I favoured Monterrey of the two.

So the next mission is to win the CONCACAF Champions League. This one is going to be tricky because it's largely Mexican dominated with a touch of MLS influence, so I think the real mission is qualifying at all. It looks like there are 20 teams in the group stage and 8 of them will come from Mexico. You would like to think I get in fairly soon, but I'll be honest, I'm at a loss as to how you even qualify. Mexico is a quite different set up, I'm really not familiar with the Apertura & Clausura model which is essentially two seasons within one.

But we have ourselves another good job. I feel this is some substantial progress. This save has gone better than I thought it would.

• Subscriber

EL RAYADOS - A BACKGROUND

Welcome to Mexico. The next step on the journey is North America. Was always the plan to do the Americas before moving onto Europe and I felt this was probably the right progression. Once again I've fallen into a pretty good job, but there is work to do.

Mexico is a bit different to a lot of leagues. I was braced for this without ever knowing the specifics, but they essentially play two leagues within one. They play the Apertura and the Clausura, so an opening and closing stage. There are 18 teams in the league, you'll play each team once in the Apertura, then again in the reverse fixture in the Clausura. Now I'm not 100% if I'm right here but my understanding is if you finish 1st-4th you go into the quarter finals, and 5th-12th you go into the preliminary round. So your league campaign is all about qualification. I find it absolutely mental that a team can come 12th out of 18 and win the league but it is what it is.

I'm going to level here - I have no idea how you qualify for the Champions League, but it looks to me like half the league seems to so I think take it as play reasonably over the course of a season, then you'll get in.

Monterrey are one of Mexico's biggest clubs. Not the biggest (that's Club America if you're honest) but they're right up there, and are a club that expects to compete for trophies. They partake in what's arguably the biggest derby in Mexico, against city rivals Tigres (who I also applied for but we'll keep that one quiet).

---

Monterrey have come off an absolutely torrid year. They finished 3rd in the Apertura but, and then lost a semi final to Chivas, but the Clausura was a disaster, finishing 15th which is an incredible underperformance, and therefore missing out on continental qualification this year. They also didn't fare too well in the Champions League, going out in the second round to Los Angeles FC. A torrid year which has freed up a big job and it's made for me to fix them. There's money to spend and some decent players.

Squad registration, essentially a maximum of 9 foreign players - but what's quite unforgiving is that you can't ever pick up Mexican in these terms. So even if you're say Argentine (which the bulk of my foreign players are), you gain Mexican citizenship, you're still not classed as Mexican. You have to be Mexican born. It's not like in Spain for example where you can pick up the nationality and free up a slot. 

This makes it tricky for me because the squad is so badly constructed. It's like something fresh out of the Turkish league. Average age is stupidly high and the wages aren't far behind. While there aren't loads of years left on a lot of these deals, we do need a refresh. It's tough though. South Africa was easy in comparison - I saw so many gaps to improve and I overhauled their squad. It's harder to do that here, and I think it's going to make it a bit more of a challenge, even if we do have a relatively good one and a decent amount of money to play with.

But I do happen to spot some really promising talents in the academy. I bring five of them into my squad, make a few signings and my first aim, simply, have a good crack at the Apertura and gauge where we're at. They don't give you a predictor in Mexico for some reason so I'm diving into the unknown somewhat.

• Subscriber

APERTURA 2034/35

What's quite nice about this league is that it's not too long winded. I mean there is a slightly drawn out cup but I can tolerate one cup. South Africa was ridiculous but this is a bit more reasonable. Albeit we seem to cancel it out by everyone either being ridiculously injury prone, or the Mexicans loving to kick the shit out of each other, and quite honestly I suspect it's the latter.

I can have no real complaints. My teams are abrasive, if you're being polite.

Monterrey finished last season with an astounding 11 match winless run, hardly any idea where the goal was, just an utterly miserable second half of the campaign. I wanted to really overhaul this squad, but I realised quite soon that while there was some room for manouevre, the squad restrictions were quite tough and didn't give us loads of wiggle room.

I've found some nice prospects in the academy though. An American left back (Mexican born apparently) who has become first choice ahead of a pretty bad one who I ended up signing, but the real eye catcher is a young man named Luis Manuel Becerra. He's your typical off the shoulder striker, blistering pace, good movement and good finishing. He'll go very far in the game. He's featured plenty already.

I decided to go for a 4-4-1-1 formation, proving I'm not totally wedded to 4-3-1-2, for our opener at home to Club Leon, and we made no mistake. It's a 3-1 win from behind, my 100% opening game record at a new club preserved and an eleven match winning run ended simply.

And to be honest, it's gone superbly.

image.png

I knew the squad was underperforming but I came into the season not overly optimistic, particularly after a slow pre-season. We've done excellently though - leaky at the back on occasion but I just think teething problems, and we look very good going forward. I could tell having watched the games that this squad wasn't terrible, albeit I still see plenty of room for improvement.

One of the ultimate areas for room for improvement, unfortunately, is the real crunch games. I alluded to our derby against Tigres. Well my first meeting with them was everything I feared. We didn't play badly but it was my first defeat, and the really remarkable part of the story is that Tigres are now managed by none other than Benjamin Mora. Benjamin Mora was Johor DT's manager for years - he was essentially my first rival! And now we meet again in his homeland, managing two big clubs contesting a big derby. It's quite mad. But despite my great record against him, he takes first blood in Mexico.

We also slip against our second rivals, Santos Laguna. I mean we've done well, but for fuck sake. Why those two?

image.png

We're not the finished article yet we've done excellently. I can't really pick a great deal of fault with us so far. We're quite a good all-round team, albeit lacking in depth. My plan is to sign more Mexicans in the 21-25 age bracket as they will be the best value for us, and any foreign player must be a real star.

A real fun side quirk is that Leicester youngster Ben Nelson, highly rated, is actually at Monterrey! The links are more frequent than I was expecting.

In a very productive Apertura, we top the league. It's a shame the America win counted for little.

image.png

As stated, the top 4 go straight into the last 8. The next 8, so 5th to 12th, play each other - 5th v 12th, 6th v 11th etc...

The draw has fallen as follows.

image.png

It's a tough one for me. We did beat Chivas and they haven't had a great season, largely I put down to their bizarrely small squad, although they have quality over quantity (granted, nowhere near enough quantity in my eyes). It's a two legged thing and as a top 4 side we get the 2nd leg at home too.

The other quirk about these ties is that there's no extra time, no penalties, if it's a draw then the winner is whoever finished higher. So by finishing top of the league, we can draw our way to the title.

Now that we're here, lets get that first one won. But it won't be easy.

• Subscriber

WE FALL TO CHIVAS

It's miserable stuff. We go away there and lose 1-0 courtesy of a late goal, meaning at home we just have to beat them to go through (as if we draw on aggregate, we go through due to finishing higher) but we can't break them down and get sucker punched at the end, and lose 0-1 again. Chivas win 2-0 on aggregate and it's a quarter final exit in the Apertura.

We were a touch unlucky in my opinion but this is a reminder of how unforgiving this league actually is. Our 41 points in 17 games rendered useless. This league is about turning up in the crunch games and we've been found wanting a number of times now. When you weigh it up we've actually lost virtually every pressure game we've faced. Our two defeats in the league were to our two main rivals and we've lost both legs of the tie to a side we are objectively better than.

Chivas are an interesting case, their squad is tiny but what little they have is quite good. I do think they're better than 11th to be fair and we were quite unlucky to get that draw - but even so you have to remember they've had to play a game just before playing us. Their team were tiring but still came through it.

The twist for me was the fact my best attacking midfielder, Pedro Vite, got injured before the games and we were relying on an 18 year old there. He was poor in both legs and I ended up switching to my 4-4-2 system as opposed to playing square pegs in round holes, but it was the wrong system for the circumstances.

It's a shame such a decent period of games from us has ended so poorly but it's a learning curve. We have another window now to have another crack at the Clausura.

Chivas went all the way to the final, but lost to Club America.

I do have a catch with my game now, it has gotten ridiculously slow to play.

• Subscriber

GRADUAL REBUILD & THE CLAUSURA

Think one thing I have realised at Monterrey, despite the decent resources, and (some!) quite good players, is that it's quite hard to make drastic changes to your squad in a short space of time. The six month season does help you keep it ticking over quite nicely though as there's often a couple worth releasing each time. What I'm realising is that I'm not going to be able to put my virtually entire squad in place in one window like I was at Kaizer Chiefs. It's probably going to take me another 2/3 windows even from here to be truly happy with the squad.

I go into each window thinking I'll fix this now but I do end up coming out of it not truly happy with things. It's because the rules in Mexico make it quite tough. You can only register 9 non Mexican players, but then the window to buy Mexicans shuts before the window to buy foreign players does. So you have to be quite organised in how you do it. What you really can't afford to do is sell Mexican players to foreign clubs late in the window - particularly if you're close to your foreigner limit.

And while I do want to build for the future, I need something for now too. I need some established players in the squad, albeit while bringing the average age down. I've managed it to a degree, but we can do more.

I was lucky that Monterrey had a few good players in the academy. I've promoted five of them to the first team squad this season. They've all developed nicely and one of them is our top scorer.

----

January itself saw some movement. The biggest move, quite a controversial one, was deciding to sell winger Mario Insua to Wolfsburg for £13.5mil. Insua is a good player - possibly the best in the squad, but he was injured for virtually the whole of the Apertura, he is quite injury prone anyway, and I don't think it's impossible for us to attain a player of that level again. £13.5mil is big money for us. I brought in a winger on loan, Alvarez, to cover this position for 18 months. I make Guillermo Castillo's loan from Club America permanent for £3.6mil after he'd absolutely smashed it.

I also sold my third best CB to Pachuca for £850k. He'd done pretty well when called upon, but he was Argentine, had a pretty poor personality and was prone to shirking big games. For me that made him very dispensible.

I've brought in another couple of 18 year old Mexicans, both real bargain buys - but like I say, I want more finished article players. I think we've got a really good young crop now and I think Monterrey will flourish as a result. But I do need a couple more established heads in the side and that'll be my summer aim.

The Clausura - hard to say what I expect. We should be gunning for the title, but who knows.

----

It starts pretty awfully. We lose at Leon courtesy of a last gasp goal, we beat Atlas, lose at Queretaro (which is a shambolic result) and then at home to Pumas. We've lost more games in the opening 4 games of the Clausura than the whole of the Apertura. In-fact if you go back to the Chivas games, it's 5 defeats in 6. We do end up beating a second tier side 9-0 in the cup however, and then win in our next two rounds at home.

image.png

The turning point of our abysmal start arrived in Monterrey - just not at our own ground. I had a plan ready for Tigres and we did them. 1-0 down at half time but we went on a mini rampage in the second half and ended up winning in style.

March has been very productive too. I want to think the worst of it is over.

image.png

Three 4-0 wins (we seem to play Santos Laguna every month, fifth time I've played them this season) and we're also into the Copa MX final! We will face Club America, which is tough because they're quite obviously the best side in the league in my opinion.

image.png

To say how badly the Clausura started, I'm actually very happy to be 5th this late on, and with the form we're in you'd not bet against us getting a top 4 spot - which is a big advantage in the finals. If we finish 5th it means playing an extra round, albeit, at home to a side below us. It'll somehow end up being Santos Laguna again.

Regarding CL qualification, I read this;

image.png

So I read this as you're basically in if you make it to a semi final of the Apertura or the semi final of the Clausura, and then should a team make both (which will almost certainly happen) it will drop to the overall league table. Basically I'm about 90% sure we're in, even if we don't make the semis of the Clausura.

I think America, Pachuca, Chivas and Mazatlan are already in. So the only way I miss out is if we don't make the semis, and then four totally different sides to those four end up making them. I think if for example America make the semis, we're first in line to take that spot...

image.png

Tigres are the biggest threat to it funnily enough but I just cannot believe we'll be that unlucky. It would be extraordinary for a side to be 2nd best and not take one of the 8 CL spots. We also play Celaya at home too which is an absolute gimme, though on the flip side we do go to America on the back of the cup final.

I think it's a weird league. Quite confusing. But it's also really quite fun.

• Subscriber

CLAUSURA FINALE

I was wrong about a lot of what I said, regarding the CL qualification - I have absolutely no idea how it works beyond "just do quite well and hope you somehow end up in it".

We ended up having a slightly sketchy end of the season, one particular game against Mazatlan where we were totally robbed has seen us finish 5th in the Clausura - meaning we had an extra round to go through this time. We would face 12th placed Queretaro in a one legged home tie. We win 2-1.

So we're into the quarters again. We draw Pumas, who finished just a point ahead of us. It's a tough but balanced tie, but remember - we need to win it, drawing over two legs puts us out due to finishing below them in the league.

---

The home leg starts terribly and we find ourselves behind almost instantly. Our save to shot ratio is beyond awful and my goalkeeper, Oscar Carreno, has been truly shocking this season. I really am having issues with goalkeepers on 22. I don't think it's my system either. I'm just frequently let down by keepers who don't save anything despite having good attributes.

The rest of the game is a predictable slog and Pumas take the victory - meaning we have to beat them by two clear goals away. I just can't see it. We have won here twice this season, but we are tiring and we're no good at these games.

But we do play well. Sadly, it's not to be, we can only manage a 0-1 win and that puts Pumas through due to the higher seeding. It was probably our best performance in a big game, but sadly fruitless. It's two quarter final exits - although we do qualify for the Champions League, along with half of the league.

image.png

America absolutely sweep up everything this season. They win the cup as well, beating us away here in the final - another big game flop from us. It really is a problem and my priority in the summer, as much as the gradual improvements in playing ability, is the mentality of the squad too. I think we've done well to bring in a decent age calibre of player but I think this summer I need to bring in a couple of really established players to get us over the line.

image.png

So it's a trophyless season for me. It's only my 4th full season which has ended with no silverware, and it's arguably the most disappointing given the stature of the club. The board are satisfied though as I did basically everything they asked. I do think though I can't really afford another season with no silverware. This is a big club that expects to challenge.

• Subscriber

OFF WE GO AGAIN

This summer is an aggressive one from me. I have identified some targets quite a way in advance and once we get our budget I'm well ready to pounce. Immediately in comes Atlas centre half Victor Hugo Sanchez for £1.5mil and Puebla midfielder Borja Ruiz follows for £3.2mil. Sanchez your typical aerially dominant, albeit a bit poor on the ball centre half while Ruiz is a ball winning midfielder type with a bit of pace and a decent pass too. We had nobody in our squad like him. I've brought the average age of the squad down substantially so I think I can be afforded some more established signings now.

I controversially decide to let long serving Pedro Vite depart for Russia which goes down pretty badly. But he was 33, on the decline and fancied the move. I liked Vite but it's the right time to sell. In comes Palmeiras' midfielder Adrianinho, superbly named, for £375k.

The other real departure of significance is Ben Nelson. Won player of the season last year so it's a loss, but he was 31 now, only had a year left on his contract and while he's good, his decline isn't far away and being English you can take good money for him. The emergence of Juan Paz at centre half and the signing of Sanchez means we'll cope with this. He joins Crystal Palace for £6.25mil.

The final signing is my biggest money move yet of my career - £7mil rising potentially to £11mil for Miguel Ignacio!

image.png

Again, not a great economic move, but I want silverware and so do the fans. We need even greater firepower. I think this leaves us with not far off the best squad in the division and we're put to the immediate test in the super cup, which I've qualified for by being runners up in the Copa MX. Carreno, absolutely terrible in goal for us last season, has a great game and even saves the deciding penalty (admittedly only 2 saves from 10). It's my first silverware at Monterrey. Not the big one by any stretch but a nice one to have.

This season will be tougher as, in good news, we have made the Champions League. What this also means is we play in this ridiculous 'Leagues Cup' of which I completely throw my tie at Cincinnati. There's only so many daft competitions I can take. I think it's just the top 8 of Mexico vs the top 8 of USA but why do you even need that when you have the Champions League?

We've made another excellent start in the Apertura and we really have been eye catching on occasion. In-fact we've totally suffocated most teams at home whilst keeping it tight and pinching results on the road. We're conceding fewer and everybody is putting it in.

image.png

We're basically guaranteed a top 4 finish already with 3 games left. In-fact given the other fixtures we may already be mathematically in, so I'm going to take it a little easier ahead of the play-offs. I really want a league title this year.

---

Scotiabank NA Champions League

Eyes on the third prize of the save. This is what we came for. This is a competition very heavily weighted towards Mexico and USA, and to be honest, just Mexico - Mexico have won the last six Champions Leagues so it's almost like a third league system at this point xD Monterrey took it in 2019, beating Tigres in the final. That must've been absolute dreamland.

Took some getting my head around, but it works like this. They split the continent into three regions. The North American section (Mexico, USA and Canada), the Central American section, and the Carribean.

North America sees 4 groups of 5. This is 9 sides from Mexico, 7 from USA and 4 from Canada, though the Canadian based MLS sides are classed as Canadian in this instance. You play each team once, luck of the draw who you get at home or away. The top 2 in each group qualify, and then of the remaining 12 sides, they play two play-off rounds to get it down to an extra 3, who also qualify for the last 16 of the competition - so North America takes 11 of the 16 second round spots. That's some safety net.

The Central American section has another 4 groups of 5. Same concept but the top two in each group go through to a play-off round, the winners of that make up another 4 of the last 16.

The Carribean takes just one spot which is a bit of a shame, albeit they almost always get beaten comfortably in it. There are two groups of five, the group winners then play-off to get into the last 16.

Basically we're going to have to really fuck it up to not go through - and if we're lucky, we'll get the Carribean side in the round of 16.

---

We are handed a group of Tigres (!!!), Pachuca, New York City and Forge FC of Canada. Interesting group, tough as we're the only one with three Mexican sides, however we're lucky to get the expected whipping boys (Forge) away, meaning two of our tougher games are at home, including Tigres.

We've qualified at a canter. Won our opening three and that's with Forge left to play.

Amazingly, we beat Tigres 5-0 xD

---

image.png

image.png

We're in a slightly weird period now where we've basically qualified for everything we need to. I have 

OH - we also won the 'Campeones Cup' which I think I qualified for by beating America in the Super Cup. We were authorative and took a decent Seattle side apart. We look class and I think we're going to take some big silverware this season.

I'm enjoying this leg of the save. It's my best side I've had yet I think. They have a superb academy too - it's a shame that it's only a temporary thing but I'm definitely going to be tracking how some of them turn out. I have a lovely centre half coming through here.

Ignacio's actually been a little disappointing for me without being poor. Nobody is having a bad season. The signings are working as planned and I think we're more prepared for the crunch knockout games. Slightly miffed we lost to Tigres in the league though.

• Subscriber

DRAW TIME

image.png

image.png

We got I think the kindest draw in the league, albeit nobody is really easy. The CL draw isn't ideal - America's luck is just sickening, they're absolutely guaranteed semi finalists, and that's who we will have to face should we get there.

It's a bad run for us. Columbus are no mugs and the entire run is probably going to be against MLS or MX sides. It's tricky.

Worth point out that the semis of the Apertura is not yet drawn, but the entire CL bracket has been.

Archived