talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Endangered sayings

football forum

Apparently there are a lot of old English sayings that are now destined for the scrapyard... So take a look at the list and see if you have ever used them in your lifetime.. Us older ones on here have probably used well over 60% of these sayings at one time or another... and @CaaC (John) has probably used them all.. :ph34r:

People who pepper their speech with traditional phrases may find they are casting their pearls before swine, after new research found that dozens of sayings are at risk of dying out.

Phrases such as “nail your colours to the mast” and “know your onions” were among those barely used by modern speakers, according to the survey of 2,000 adults aged between 18 and 50.

image.thumb.png.4759c6c41afa4a9f053e3a3752c6ca2e.png

image.png.c648602669df3b4ea5ee1a1eec5ab923.png

image.thumb.png.200e998d1d058493a5a91b31230557a9.png

image.png.cb256068d702ff0f5afb5bd545d65a88.png

image.png.584e2adca2790d54cefa5112b2389cd1.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know almost every one of them but I don't use any of them.

I've heard some weird ones over the years from my parents that I've had to Google to see if it actually exists or if they've made it up xD The one I remember is "you're not as green as you're cabbage looking".

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 12:21, Stan said:

Still hear several of those quite a lot. 

Safely say I've never heard of the 'pearls before swine' one. Definitely one for the older folk...

I know the phrase from the bible. It’s a pretty famous line, I’m pretty sure Jesus says it in the Sermon on the Mount. 

But I wasn’t aware it was or has ever been a common expression.

I guess there’s a few things like that from the bible, that are still famous in literary use but less so in everyday use. Like “ know them by their fruits” or “a wolf in sheep’s clothing”. 

Archived