talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Going all digital

football forum

So I have a rather large collection of music on CD and I've finally decided to get rid of it all. In the past few years I've been exclusively buying digital downloads of albums instead of physical copies and I've learned to appreciate having a flash drive with 100 albums on it. It's a big step for me but I need the space and I feel it's time to move on. Anyone else done similar?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Years ago I would take my CDs and make copies of them when the original iTunes allowed you to rip from CDs (think they removed it later). I can't remember the name of the application but it was super tiny and you could take your discs and convert them to MP3s or WAV if you wanted and then put them into another app to move them to the original iPods. Its really quite rare to not find a digital copy of disc content on the internet but what is hard imo is finding cassette content on the internet from when I was younger. Some of those collections were bootlegs from concerts that just dont exist online.

On 30/01/2022 at 05:35, Mel81x said:

Years ago I would take my CDs and make copies of them when the original iTunes allowed you to rip from CDs (think they removed it later). I can't remember the name of the application but it was super tiny and you could take your discs and convert them to MP3s or WAV if you wanted and then put them into another app to move them to the original iPods. Its really quite rare to not find a digital copy of disc content on the internet but what is hard imo is finding cassette content on the internet from when I was younger. Some of those collections were bootlegs from concerts that just dont exist online.

Funny that you mention iTunes.  That's exactly what I've been doing...converting all my CDs to mp4 files using an older version of iTunes.

I have a rather large collection of vinyl records up in the loft... now that I have a re-roofing project on the go I will have to make some decisions about them.. They take up quite a bit of space and there isn't anything I couldn't find out there on the net somewhere... the crackle of needle on record is hard to beat though.. 

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I have a rather large collection of vinyl records up in the loft... now that I have a re-roofing project on the go I will have to make some decisions about them.. They take up quite a bit of space and there isn't anything I couldn't find out there on the net somewhere... the crackle of needle on record is hard to beat though.. 

Got anything I'd like?

I used to be all digital until the pandemic started and now I'm collecting vinyl like a hipster weirdo.

Just now, Bluewolf said:

Probably... quite a range of stuff

If you've got anything you'd be willing to sell and you don't ask for mental prices for stuff, I'd probably be willing to buy some and pay for them to be shipped out to me. But only if you're looking to sell anything I don't want to coerce you into selling to me if you decide you want to keep them xD

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you've got anything you'd be willing to sell and you don't ask for mental prices for stuff, I'd probably be willing to buy some and pay for them to be shipped out to me. But only if you're looking to sell anything I don't want to coerce you into selling to me if you decide you want to keep them xD

When I have a sort out I will let you know what's there, I used to have them listed but not sure where the list is now.. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Got anything I'd like?

I used to be all digital until the pandemic started and now I'm collecting vinyl like a hipster weirdo.

I went through a phase where I started collecting vinyl.  Accumulated something like 30-40 albums that I really liked, then did a U-turn and gave them all to my brother.  Just something else that I was hoarding.

4 hours ago, nudge said:

I don't own a single CD or tape anymore, have had it all on external hard drives for quite a while now. 

My book collection is next.  I feel guilty that I have a basement full of books that I've read and re-read and now they're just down there collecting dust.  Time to let someone else read them.  I'll probably keep a few favorites that I can easily fit in a box.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

My book collection is next.  I feel guilty that I have a basement full of books that I've read and re-read and now they're just down there collecting dust.  Time to let someone else read them.  I'll probably keep a few favorites that I can easily fit in a box.

I gave away well over a thousand books when I started moving countries. Some to friends, the rest to public libraries and charities. Now keep all my books in my Dropbox cloud and sync them to my e-book reader. Extremely convenient, but to be honest, I would still keep a massive library of actual books in the house if I knew I'd stay there forever 😅 no matter how much I love my e-reader, still nothing compares to reading an actual physical book for me... Turning the pages, feeling the texture and the smell of paper... 🤤 Sigh. 

Just now, nudge said:

I gave away well over a thousand books when I started moving countries. Some to friends, the rest to public libraries and charities. Now keep all my books in my Dropbox cloud and sync them to my e-book reader. Extremely convenient, but to be honest, I would still keep a massive library of actual books in the house if I knew I'd stay there forever 😅 no matter how much I love my e-reader, still nothing compares to reading an actual physical book for me... Turning the pages, feeling the texture and the smell of paper... 🤤 Sigh. 

Hear hear.  I can't... nay, I WON'T do e-readers for the same reasons you've pointed out.  There are some things that technology just shouldn't meddle with.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

Hear hear.  I can't... nay, I WON'T do e-readers for the same reasons you've pointed out.  There are some things that technology just shouldn't meddle with.

Haha, I was extremely anti-ereaders for years until I got my Pocketbook out of necessity... And now, it's actually my most favourite possession 😅 So I'm glad that they exist and that e-ink technology made the experience as close to reading actual printed paper as possible. Still doesn't compare to books, but it's a damn good alternative if you don't have space for actual books for whatever reason! 

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Spike said:

Depends what it is, video games, movies, and books I prefer digital but I love collecting vinyl.

Any ones in the collection for you and for @Coma @Bluewolf or @Dr. Gonzo you'd recommend to someone that wants to try and get into it? I've held off long enough and while I think WAV/high-density formats are good for what I have I am considering starting a small collection to give it a try. I know there are different kinds of vinyls based on the press and other factors involving the carts on the swing arm but that's pretty much all I know at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Any ones in the collection for you and for @Coma @Bluewolf or @Dr. Gonzo you'd recommend to someone that wants to try and get into it? I've held off long enough and while I think WAV/high-density formats are good for what I have I am considering starting a small collection to give it a try. I know there are different kinds of vinyls based on the press and other factors involving the carts on the swing arm but that's pretty much all I know at the moment. 

Well for the actual vinyl there isn't much you can do about it. Some are just worse than others, or some are old and used a lot. New pressings are nearly always 180g in weight which makes them feel a lot heftier and sturdier. New pressing techniques and materials mean that the coloured vinyls of today are no lesser in quality than traditional black vinyls whereas in the past this may not have been the case.

The real differentiation is the equipment, because there are a lot of pieces to make a high fidelity sound system. First you start off with the turntable, then pre-amp, then receiver, then speakers. Then of course turntables also have a bunch of customisable parts (needle, cartridge, arm, platter, dust case). Some turntables will have a pre-amp but only the very crappiest will have all of the components in one.  I spent a bit more money and bought a second hand Technics SL1200, which isn't the best turntable but it is THE turntable, you can pretty much switch and swap out every piece of hardware; as well as being indestructible, mine is from the late 80s and obviously saw DJ use given some of the cosmetic damage on the body but it plays like new. There are turntables that sacrifice modularity and customisation for audio clarity and high performance, there are others that are just cheap and exist simply to do the job. There are other little things I'd look out for as well, if you want to or have a lot of 45s I'd look for a turntable that has a simple speed switch to move from 33 to 45rpm without having to move the motorbelt. There are many brands, Audio Technica, Technics, Pro-Ject, Fluance, Rega,

But if you are the type of guy that just wants a simple turntable, with no bells and whistles, high quality audio, then something like the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon could be an interesting turntable. One of the big problems it has though, is that you have to manually adjust the motor to switch from 33 to 45.

Amazon.com: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO, Audiophile Turntable with Carbon  Fiber tonearm, Electronic Speed Selection and pre-Mounted Sumiko Rainier  Phono Cartridge (High Gloss Black) : Electronics

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I had hundreds and hundreds of CD's and DVD's that i just gave away. I used to sell them in my teens and built up a massive collection. Made a decent amount before all the streaming came into play. Then i started selling loaded Now TV's and firesticks xD. Not bothered for a few years though now the busier i got with work.

On 31/01/2022 at 19:39, nudge said:

The ending of that post has made me want to put this laptop down and get comfy with a book. xD

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2022 at 23:16, Mel81x said:

@Spike's pretty much covered everything I'd say about the different types of vinyls. But a basic player that's got the ability to choose between the 2 main speeds is really all you need to play them.

I got a pretty basic LP player, it's the Audio-Technica LP-60 (there's many versions, I have the one that lets you plug it into a computer so you can record onto a DAW from the vinyl - I think that's got an XUSB somewhere in the model number). It's a good basic setup, it's got a built in pre-amp (that you can turn off if you ever get a better external one - but I quite like the sound of the built in one so far) - you can't really swap out the stylus cartridges with anything other than the Audio-Technica ones that are meant to replace the one that comes with it... which is a bit shit from the POV of the serious audiophiles. Another limitation is it's only got 2 speeds, 33 and 45 - but this hasn't really been an issue for me as every vinyl I've ever owned/listened to is either 33 rpm (the vast majority) or 45 rpm.

It's probably the most commonly recommended vinyl player recommended to vinyl noobs - which is why I got it xD

It's not the most audiophile setup - but I'm content with it. I've swapped out the original platter matt (it was a standard rubber one, most vinyl players come with something similar) for a cork one - I like the way that sounds better. I've also got a white acrylic platter mat (for posting pictures to instagram when I've got a cool transparent one lol) but the sound quality is shite on the acrylic platter mats imo. I've also changed the stylus on it twice in the last 2 years - but I've just bought the bog standard AT replacement needle (I don't even know if the LP-60 can take other stylus cartridges tbh).

But tbh, I don't think the AT built in pre-amp sounds bad at all... but I do have speakers that are like 4 times the cost of the player, they'd probably sound good with any decent LP player but I can only speak for the LP-60.... I'd recommend it for sure. It's not the fanciest, but it's really good for the price imo - and I honestly think that's true of a lot of AT's reasonably priced products (I've had 3 pairs of AT headphones in my life and they were all great). I'm more than content with my setup.

One thing I'd recommend if you buy second-hand records a lot (and by the way, buying second hand is pretty great imo) or even because brand new records don't come in high quality inner sleeves all the time and sometimes come new with dust/paper residue from packaging, is getting an anti-static record cleaning pad/brush. And get yourself a stylus cleaning brush too. Both of those are easy as fuck to use and keep your vinyl clean and sounding great.

Archived