talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MTG Chat

3 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Man thats a spicy meatball. I was really on the edge of picking up a playset of as foretolds for 7$ cad each at the gp here. I want to watch this work of art in action.

I'm playing it for the first time tonight. I love riding that new wave!!! I also love that I'm good enough to play these decks without practice. If I lived in America I'd have played the pro tour by now.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
13 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I'm playing it for the first time tonight. I love riding that new wave!!! I also love that I'm good enough to play these decks without practice. If I lived in America I'd have played the pro tour by now.

Good stuff. Ill have to look to see how this deck plays out it looks super sweet anyways if nothing else, goodluck man.

Our local store has some pretty good players, its definitely made me a better player. Theres been few pros come out from the area, one guy is going to the pro tour for limited now too. I still see Ben Hall around once in a while, Gerry T comes up once in awhile, its a solid scene.

4 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Good stuff. Ill have to look to see how this deck plays out it looks super sweet anyways if nothing else, goodluck man.

Our local store has some pretty good players, its definitely made me a better player. Theres been few pros come out from the area, one guy is going to the pro tour for limited now too. I still see Ben Hall around once in a while, Gerry T comes up once in awhile, its a solid scene.

I've beaten every pro I've played (though there were all only SCG guys, who are shithouse anyway) One guy from our store managed to qualify a few weeks ago actually.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I've beaten every pro I've played (though there were all only SCG guys, who are shithouse anyway) One guy from our store managed to qualify a few weeks ago actually.

Thats kinda funny Ive often not been too impressed watching the general play of SCG. Kat light the "big" spirits player that joined lotus box eventually I thought was trash, I tried watching early on when she started streaming it was hard. Not to say their all bad I genuinely think the upper echelon are really good players but theres seemingly less then on the pro tour.

5 events, 600 tix later. I'm back. I won the friday night modern event off my head on cocaine. Every other event I was medium. Should have won legacy big tix but round 1 game 1 I kept a solid hand that didn't have a chalice, only to find my opponent was on Zombie bombardment, so going into game 2 with that information in hand and 3 leylines in my deck plus the 4 chalices I was certain I'd win the next 2 games. Nope. mulled to 5 g2 without seeing any of it. 

Just slept for 15 hours straight as well.

• Subscriber
On 04/02/2019 at 13:55, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Loool I played Hollow one.xD I went 2/1 at modern last week with Izzet so I decided to play it safe and let jesus take the wheel all weekend.

That's fair that deck can have some sweet sweet r & d.

I was going through some of the scg archives of the team tourne over the weekend and trying to find gameplay of Overturf playing a temur Phoenix list. Splashed green for traverse package with baubles seemed sweet on the surface but I really didn't see him use traverse much except for one time he tutored for his one of snap. Interesting idea anyways.

• Subscriber
On 06/02/2019 at 08:24, Viva la FCB said:

That's fair that deck can have some sweet sweet r & d.

I was going through some of the scg archives of the team tourne over the weekend and trying to find gameplay of Overturf playing a temur Phoenix list. Splashed green for traverse package with baubles seemed sweet on the surface but I really didn't see him use traverse much except for one time he tutored for his one of snap. Interesting idea anyways.

So further on this my go to youtuber Jeff Hoogland played a league with it and absolutely slayed. He said it felt like the easiest 5-0 he can remember and he was never a fan of the previous izzet phoenix decks nor traverse. He only lost one game and with better sequencing it was winnable so very much able to 10-0. The deck looked like fire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Yeah the rise of phoenix, the meta share of FL in general I wouldnt be shocked if it gets the axe. I enjoy many decks that play it but Phoenix and Dredge are pretty disgusting. The sad part is splash damaging decks like Mardu Pyro. I guess we will find out shortly what happens. The other thing is with the london mulligan they're trying out dredge probably gets more disgusting unless you axe FL.

And no changes to any format. I guess they will probably wait for the modern horizons set to see how it affects things first, kinda makes sense. Between that and how the mulligan trial turns out modern could go through some massive changes already.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Dont know If you've kept up playing standard but this new set looks Jim Broadbent. The general power level of most of it seems mediocre though, not too sure If it will have a drastic effect on the current meta which I think is pretty medicore at the moment too. Its too bad because Guilds standard was fucking awesome.

I guess mostly what Im looking forward to is some printing of Faeries and or Spirits in horizons coming up. Mostly Faeries cus I love that deck even if its solidly tier 2 or worse. Been hard to play spirits with all the phoenix going around anywho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 19/04/2019 at 23:12, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yeah, a faithless looting ban is needed. I don't get why so many people love fairies. But whatever floats your boat. I played a last minute Sultai brew last night to some reasonable success. Torrential gearhulk is the finisher the deck needed. 

Im not sure if looting is the real problem, it was perfectly fine until creeping chill was printed, until phoenix was printed. At its best it was giving you value with discarding lingering souls or a 1 mana fiery temper. You may ultimately be right just ban the enablers and it will slow down the format a touch, either way I assume they're waiting until horizons happens and by all accounts the london mulligan was a success? Im just reading second hand on that one mind you. 

Flash/interactive magic is my jam. Come at me. Interesting, I was always on the train that Thulk was modern playable albeit a little slow in the right shell the free flash back in insane, and as you say the body ends real fast. Sultai midrange? what are you working with.

Ill be trying out some deputy of detentions in spirits tonight, havent jammed it for a bit should be fun.

Decklist

24 very sultai lands. Fetches, shocks and fast lands. Including 2 creeping tar pit and 2 field of ruin. There's 6 basics. (4 island 2 swamp)

Creatures

x3 snaps

x1 jace, vp

x2 torrential gearhulk

I'm open to the idea of tireless tracker as well. But no room yet

Instants and sorcerys

x 3 cryptic 

x1 heiroglyphic illuminations

x4 remand (doesn't feel great tbh, might become mana leak)

x1 spell pierce 

x1 countersquall

x4 fatal push

x3 ass trophy

x1 abrupt decay

x4 opt

x2 pulse of murasa

other spells

x1 Azcanta

x1 Jace TMS

x1 Lili, the last hope

x1 EE

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Other than remanding a flashback card, it's only good in combo decks where drawing cards is good and your opponent doesn't get more turns.

Yep, also felt great in the U/R wizards variations Ive played with at times, the current meta mana leak just seems better overall anyways.

• Subscriber

@Devil-Dick Willie are you still playing any standard? I just looked up our local MCQ is in about a month, 50$ cad you get a ravager promo and a playmat just for entry... seems pretty decent.

Also gonna try my hands at picking up the mythic edition in about a week when it goes live, I dont own any wallet sculpters and for that price it seems like a no brainer. Fuckers are literally printing money; they say 12k available thats like 3 million bucks and it will sellout very quickly.

Archived