talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MTG Chat

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I beat the steam kin thing the other day, very cool. but spends a remarable amount of time spinning its wheels. i'm not convinced it's faster and more consistent than just vanilla burn.

I'm 6/8 with Abzan. Sultai is a trap

I can definitely see that, just looking at the deck you can see it would have a wrong half problem, BUT faithless looting is a hell of a card. I think theres room for further tweaking. On average it definitely doesnt look as fast as plain ol burn but it does seem to have more interesting lines imo and definitely has some nut draws. 

Sultai has always been a trap but snapcaster ass trophy is too powerful to ignore, I know plenty of people will/have been trying it out but youre probably right in the long run. Whats your abzan list look like out of curiosity? 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I can definitely see that, just looking at the deck you can see it would have a wrong half problem, BUT faithless looting is a hell of a card. I think theres room for further tweaking. On average it definitely doesnt look as fast as plain ol burn but it does seem to have more interesting lines imo and definitely has some nut draws. 

Sultai has always been a trap but snapcaster ass trophy is too powerful to ignore, I know plenty of people will/have been trying it out but youre probably right in the long run. Whats your abzan list look like out of curiosity? 

1x Abrupt Decay
2x Assassin's Trophy
2x Blooming Marsh
1x Collective Brutality
2x Fatal Push
1x Field of Ruin
1x Forest
1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1x Godless Shrine
3x Grim Flayer
1x Horizon Canopy
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
1x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3x Liliana of the Veil
3x Lingering Souls
2x Marsh Flats
4x Mishra's Bauble
2x Overgrown Tomb
2x Path to Exile
1x Plains
2x Scavenging Ooze
2x Shambling Vent
1x Swamp
4x Tarmogoyf
1x Temple Garden
3x Thoughtseize
1x Tireless Tracker
3x Traverse the Ulvenwald
2x Verdant Catacombs
4x Windswept Heath

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
18 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Hahahahaha fuck that

Izzet, Golgari or don't bother. Brave opinion. Standard will never be 'great' again. Information is too freely available and there is no room for tier 2 decks at a high level. 

Interesting take, I by no means play competitively (just store level events) but I do keep up with the meta game and whatnot  and I see a fair majority of decks that are viable at the moment. I mean Mono blue just won against Mono red in the finals of GP Lille, meanwhile a Lich's mastery (5 colour control) won an SCG classic over the weekend. I just think how things are looking at the moment this could be the first truely good standard in a long while, At the very least I dont see it being dominated by one deck like the previous standard was for so long. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
57 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

@Viva la FCB I ordered a case of ultimate masters.

Nice theres definitely a ton of great reprints. I've been seeing a decent amount going for 250ish USD over the last fews days too.

Personally I just got the mythic edition a month ago and that was my splurge, I am still however eagerly awaiting my box topper from wotc for that fiasco. Ill probably hang out a bit and hope to pick up a handful of singles, mainly goyfs and lili's and EE if they have a decent drop. Still need some fulminators, teegs and some others. If they continue to go for less then MSRP I think we might see some decent price drops.

• 1 month later...

Which onexD I've played against mono red, u/r and hollow phoenix. I think they're all fine, but honestly aren't blowing me away. You need to pack some hefty graveyard hate in modern these days because Dredge and ironworks are tier 1, there are phoenix's, hardened affinity and storm everywhere, and you never know when you're about to play a good ole snap deck or living end. Thus, the red birb strategy is less good, because the risk of hitting grave hate is high, but the pay off is low as compared to storm, ironworks or dredge. 

I really like Ad Nauseam in the meta. Not too much infect, lots of linear agro and control is geared towards non combo decks....

• Subscriber

Fair point, I think the izzet version is the best shell probably 2-3 crackling drakes and TITI are excellent exactly for the reason your talking about incidental grave yard hate has little effect on the deck. All the cantrips give it pretty impressive consistency too.

Yeah ad nauseum is Great call for the meta atm. Im still slinging spirits probably will for the gp here next week in some side events. I really like he Reflector mages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

So I ended up cleaning house on with the constructed package over the weekend. I did 3 modern 3 standard events and went 2-0 split in all three double ups (2 standard 1 modern) I went 2-1 in standard reg and 2-1, 1-2 in the other two modern. Ended up with a box of guilds, box of dominaria and 2 box toppers - which ended up creeping tar pit and fulminator mage, and couple lose packs to finish of my tix.

Overall was a fun weekend, saw alot of jank decks in modern and struggled against the new menace phoenix. The thalias didnt seem like enough Im leaning towards eidolon of rhetoric if I keep seeing this thing more I think.

Thalia is prone to getting gutshot in that match. I like Bishop of fuck your graveyard/RIP in that match. Also Titi is rough against spirits. Good results boi. Much ticks.

I have been playing living end in my last 2 FNMs.

2-0 vs tron

2-0 vs U/R wizards

2-0 vs Goblins

2-0 vs tron

2-0 vs Iron works

0-2 vs bottled cloister prison. (turn 1 chalice and welding jar in game 1 and turn 1 chalice turn 3 Padeem game 2)

• Subscriber

I think I just lose to Titi no matter what, I had RIP but even through it just swiftspears and hard casting phoenix's was still a struggle to deal with. I think eidolon is nearly impossible for them to get rid of and really slows them down, also fills the thalia role in combo matchups - still not sure if thats a straight swap for the board or not yet. I did see alot of phoenix in the side events in modern and in standard I saw alot of jeskai control. I ended up on jeskai angels in standard and it felt fantastic - I only played it in the two double ups the last event I played some naya bugler to finish it out to a 2-1 finish - lost a close 3 game set to golgari mulled to 5 game 3 on the draw still rounded out a great hand but he had back to back carny t's to put me out of my misery.

Living end I've been hearing alot of people higher on right now, one of our store regs just took it to a top 8 pptq finish and raved about it too. Good stuff those are some pretty convincing results. Is that mainly what you've jamming these days?

Yeah, I'm always a meta man and with the down tick in humans Living end goes straight back into that underrated powerhouse role. Spirits is still a slightly rough match, but no where near as bad as humans. You can't spell quell an evoked shriekmaw, selfless spirit and the hexproof bois do nothing either, and you can never cast company for fear I will just go off in response. Mausoleum wanderer is the best card in the match for spirits and anger of the gods after SB for me is gas.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yeah, I'm always a meta man and with the down tick in humans Living end goes straight back into that underrated powerhouse role. Spirits is still a slightly rough match, but no where near as bad as humans. You can't spell quell an evoked shriekmaw, selfless spirit and the hexproof bois do nothing either, and you can never cast company for fear I will just go off in response. Mausoleum wanderer is the best card in the match for spirits and anger of the gods after SB for me is gas.

Thats fair, I mean I've lost to living end just hard casting their draft chaf before too not plan A but it can work if theres nothing going on haha

• 3 weeks later...

I lost to that deck a few times last PPTQ season. Honestly all the bullshit about it being uninteractive, not fun to watch or play against and its game 1 win rate are bullshit excuses. 

Fact of the matter is when I was on Skred dragons I lost game 2. Through a blood moon, a ratchet bomb, a chalice on 0 and 1 and a shattering spree the fucking deck just ploughed on. That is fucking absurd.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I lost to that deck a few times last PPTQ season. Honestly all the bullshit about it being uninteractive, not fun to watch or play against and its game 1 win rate are bullshit excuses. 

Fact of the matter is when I was on Skred dragons I lost game 2. Through a blood moon, a ratchet bomb, a chalice on 0 and 1 and a shattering spree the fucking deck just ploughed on. That is fucking absurd.

I think thats basically it the deck was digustingly resilient and consistent. If you stumble at all or fail to put up a good clock disrupting just wasnt enough. I dont think it was that boring to play against or uninteractive, how is it any different then storm if thats their criteria. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Man thats a spicy meatball. I was really on the edge of picking up a playset of as foretolds for 7$ cad each at the gp here. I want to watch this work of art in action.

Archived