talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mason Greenwood

39 minutes ago, Devil said:

I think that applies more to women who either live with their partners or aren't out in the open with the abuse they've received.

This is pretty unique given how high profile the case is and his profile is. How can he be being charge for attempted rape on someone the press are taking photos of in his car in Hale village.

It's actually insane.

How can she now give evidence to a jury?

This isn’t unique at all. Victims often stand up for their abusers or reneg on accusations. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spike said:

This isn’t unique at all. Victims often stand up for their abusers or reneg on accusations. 

I get that but her accusation has basically destroyer a multi millionaire lifestyle.

Guilty or not you'd imagine the level of hate from him and his family would be huge.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

It's one picture. Very little context. We have no idea of what's behind it. 

We shouldn't be victim-blaming here, either. 

What we should be questioning is that Greenwood would have explicit bail conditions. And ones he would know. He should be making no attempt or consideration to be meeting her, under ant circumstances, because it would breach his bail. 

Sorry if it came across like that because it's not, I'm just totally confused by it. 

I get it's one picture but I still find it extremely strange.

• Upvote 1

@Spike played the nice boy card with the good reasoning that abuse victims form toxic dependent bonds to their abusers. 

Here's the cynical card. She also stood by Greenwood when him and Foden tried to break covid quarantine to bring some slags back to shag in their hotel room. 
Fodens gf ALSO stood by him. 

This girl, and Fodens girl, are nobodies, who are dating millionaire superstars. The second Greenwoods career is destroyed that's over. The second she leaves his life that's over. The glitz, glamour and the fame. Done.  

6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

@Spike played the nice boy card with the good reasoning that abuse victims form toxic dependent bonds to their abusers. 

Here's the cynical card. She also stood by Greenwood when him and Foden tried to break covid quarantine to bring some slags back to shag in their hotel room. 
Fodens gf ALSO stood by him. 

This girl, and Fodens girl, are nobodies, who are dating millionaire superstars. The second Greenwoods career is destroyed that's over. The second she leaves his life that's over. The glitz, glamour and the fame. Done.  

That is a part of the toxic bond.

5 hours ago, Devil said:

Sorry if it came across like that because it's not, I'm just totally confused by it. 

I get it's one picture but I still find it extremely strange.

It’s definitely strange I think it’s understandable to have questions. I don’t know if we’ll get answers to those questions- those 2 certainly had/have an unhealthy relationship.

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

The charge of "attempted" means it's not as bad as it could've/should've(?) been but probably will have to serve some sort of prison sentence especially with everything else he's charged with. If he's found guilty.

It means he had the intent to commit the crime but it didn't happen.

10 hours ago, Devil said:

A paper today has posted a picture today of Mason in his car with the girl (victim) last week.

This basically blows my mind, how can she be potentially giving evidence against him and yet she's spending time with him.

Surely this will result in the case being thrown out of court.

I know of a family. There daughter was dating a famous footballer when he was a teenager. Once he got famous it all came out he cheated on her (to what we know) five times.

You'd expect the family to be mad but no. Instead they still treated him like a son. One of her brothers even lived with him when he moved away from his family for a couple of years until a new manager found out and kicked him out.

The family members I know to this day have nothing but good words to say about him. 

Money and fame makes people do stupid things.

9 hours ago, Stan said:

It's one picture. Very little context. We have no idea of what's behind it. 

We shouldn't be victim-blaming here, either. 

What we should be questioning is that Greenwood would have explicit bail conditions. And ones he would know. He should be making no attempt or consideration to be meeting her, under ant circumstances, because it would breach his bail. 

Yes. Hes fortunate the prison is in such a shocking state with it being overcrowded and underfunded. Certain judge's would be tempted to remand him for such a public breach.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

Yes. In the UK inparticular a high percentage of Domestic Violence cases that make it to Crown Court are victimless proscecutions.

5 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I am surprised Man United even have him on their books still,  the negative media this is sponging up can't do Man United any good. 

I imagine Manchester United's legal team have discussed this matter to great extent about how to get rid of him but ensure they're bullet proof from being sued by Mason Greenwood's legal team further down the line. If he was to be acquited and he hires a legal team that's able to justify a significant career loss of earnings based on the success of Saka, Foden etc it could be a payout of up to eight figures 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Devil said:

A paper today has posted a picture today of Mason in his car with the girl (victim) last week.

This basically blows my mind, how can she be potentially giving evidence against him and yet she's spending time with him.

Surely this will result in the case being thrown out of court.

Is it definite that she will be testifying against him?  Her father's interview after this became know was strange,  he seemed to almost praise Greenwood and it sounded like they wanted this to just go away. I am not totally sure about UK law but I believe once they knew about a sexual assault the police had to investigate and lay charges if the evidence was there.  Did she actually press charges or was she just interviewed by the police.

2 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Is it definite that she will be testifying against him?  Her father's interview after this became know was strange,  he seemed to almost praise Greenwood and it sounded like they wanted this to just go away. I am not totally sure about UK law but I believe once they knew about a sexual assault the police had to investigate and lay charges if the evidence was there.  Did she actually press charges or was she just interviewed by the police.

That statement from her dad was absolutely insane. It read so wrong its untrue.

My guess is she's not going to testify against him or will defend him in court and he will get off with it.

United are going to be in such an incredibly insane position at that point, he will be available to train and play again and he will still have 3 years of a contract. Whether United or Adidas will allow their name to be associated with him is the main question.

11 minutes ago, Devil said:

United are going to be in such an incredibly insane position at that point, he will be available to train and play again and he will still have 3 years of a contract. Whether United or Adidas will allow their name to be associated with him is the main question.

Idk what deals he's got with Adidas, but I suspect from their perspective it's easier to be rid of him than it is for the club. They'd just end the endorsement saying his actions tainted his image and they no longer want their brand associated with it.

It's harder with United because he's an employee. I think the right thing to do would be to tell him "you'll never be getting a game with us, you'll train with the reserves/under 23s, but you won't get onto the pitch with them either" - force him to look for another club elsewhere. Worst case scenario, you make him wealthy for 3 years before you're rid of him completely.

If he gets off though, considering you've got an owner that also owns an NFL team... it's possible they don't give a shit about the optics and are fine with playing someone who's done terrible things as long as he does well - that happens all the time in American football.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk what deals he's got with Adidas, but I suspect from their perspective it's easier to be rid of him than it is for the club. They'd just end the endorsement saying his actions tainted his image and they no longer want their brand associated with it.

It's harder with United because he's an employee. I think the right thing to do would be to tell him "you'll never be getting a game with us, you'll train with the reserves/under 23s, but you won't get onto the pitch with them either" - force him to look for another club elsewhere. Worst case scenario, you make him wealthy for 3 years before you're rid of him completely.

If he gets off though, considering you've got an owner that also owns an NFL team... it's possible they don't give a shit about the optics and are fine with playing someone who's done terrible things as long as he does well - that happens all the time in American football.

He was sponsored by Nike to be fair but Adidas the club sponsor could dig their heals in and say they don't want him representing the club in their sportswear. 

We're talking about one of the worlds leading sporting brands, I'd be surprised if they want their brand associated with someone who's named is so tarnished by rape and domestic abuse. 

As for the club as you point out, they have options, we've basically paid Phil Jones the same salary for nothing for the last five years anyway. I suspect they would be forced to pay up his contract as I don't think the fans and clubs sponsors would be welcoming his return. 

Then we will see what the future holds for him, will he be able to rebuild his career?

Maybe abroad. 

Edited by Devil

I don't know the whole story behind this but find it crazy that he can be accused of this by I assume his current partner who can then possibly do a complete U-turn as the case drags on with no consequences... What about all that time and expense put into a case where someone can basically just say 'I have changed my mind now' and won't be pursuing it any further... It's tantamount to wasting police time in my opinion and sure does nothing for all those women that find themselves in that position... If the case is dropped for whatever reason then Utd will have some problems to overcome regarding what they do with him... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

He was sponsored by Nike to be fair but Adidas the club sponsor could dig their heals in and say they don't want him representing the club in their sportswear. 

We're talking about one of the worlds leading sporting brands, I'd be surprised if they want their brand associated with someone who's named is so tarnish by rape and domestic abuse. 

As for the club as you point out, they have options, we've basically paid Phil Jones the same salary for nothing for the last five years anyway. I suspect they would be forced to pay up his contract as I don't think the fans and clubs sponsors would be welcoming his return. 

Then we will see what the future holds for him, will he be able to rebuild his career?

Maybe abroad. 

Well as the club sponsor, they might not have any grounds to stop him - their contract with Untied doesn't really control their relationship with United's employees. They might urge United to not play him, or to pay out the rest of his contract (and maybe offer the club to help pay for that)... but other than that, I'm not sure they've got any recourse if the club does decide he can train with him again.

I think given that most English football fans have heard the voicemail recording... it would be incredibly tough for him to rebuild his career in the UK. People here, rightly, think he's a total arsehole. That's natural if evidence has come out that paints you as a violent rapist. Even if he moves abroad, I think he'd have to go somewhere where human rights aren't really a high priority. So I think that's ruling out most top-level football for him.

I don't like United, you know this... I'm a Liverpool fan xD... but this is one instance where I hope United aren't put in an uncomfortable situation where they're going to piss off a ton of their fans and footballing fans around the country (and Europe... and a lot of places in the world tbh). I hope he's found guilty and United can easily get out of their contract obligations.

He's let down the fans, his teammates, and anyone else that worked at the club. I hate United, but you lot deserve better than being saddled by this dickhead.

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I don't know the whole story behind this but find it crazy that he can be accused of this by I assume his current partner who can then possibly do a complete U-turn as the case drags on with no consequences... What about all that time and expense put into a case where someone can basically just say 'I have changed my mind now' and won't be pursuing it any further... It's tantamount to wasting police time in my opinion and sure does nothing for all those women that find themselves in that position... If the case is dropped for whatever reason then Utd will have some problems to overcome regarding what they do with him... 

He was arrested for breaching his bail restrictions by being photographed with her but rumours are going round today he was actually arrested because she was actually living with him!

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well as the club sponsor, they might not have any grounds to stop him - their contract with Untied doesn't really control their relationship with United's employees. They might urge United to not play him, or to pay out the rest of his contract (and maybe offer the club to help pay for that)... but other than that, I'm not sure they've got any recourse if the club does decide he can train with him again.

I think given that most English football fans have heard the voicemail recording... it would be incredibly tough for him to rebuild his career in the UK. People here, rightly, think he's a total arsehole. That's natural if evidence has come out that paints you as a violent rapist. Even if he moves abroad, I think he'd have to go somewhere where human rights aren't really a high priority. So I think that's ruling out most top-level football for him.

I don't like United, you know this... I'm a Liverpool fan xD... but this is one instance where I hope United aren't put in an uncomfortable situation where they're going to piss off a ton of their fans and footballing fans around the country (and Europe... and a lot of places in the world tbh). I hope he's found guilty and United can easily get out of their contract obligations.

He's let down the fans, his teammates, and anyone else that worked at the club. I hate United, but you lot deserve better than being saddled by this dickhead.

100% agree, I never want to see him associated with my club again and agree the football community regardless of divides agree he needs denying the chance of making a living above the average man. 

Regarding the sponsor, Adidas are our biggest sponsor, they may very well not be able to do anything right now if he were to be free to play but come renewal time it could effect any future deals we could possibly hope to make with them. 

I don't believe the club or Glazers could risk losing a contract that would be in the hundreds of millions. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Devil said:

He was arrested for breaching his bail restrictions by being photographed with her but rumours are going round today he was actually arrested because she was actually living with him!

Well if that's true they have both shown a total disregard for the law, his bail conditions and the seriousness of the situation... fucking children really aren't they... 

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well if that's true they have both shown a total disregard for the law, his bail conditions and the seriousness of the situation... fucking children really aren't they... 

That's the problem with football, we're making superstars and public figures out of kids. 

Even the older lads are still in the 20's and even at that age you're not grown up mentally.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Considering he's been charged with various offences, police can still proceed if they think its in the interests of public safety, even if the victim has a change of heart. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If there's not enough there to put him in jail then there isn't enough there to suggest he shouldn't play football again. He seems like he's not that bright but hopefully whatever went on, he's learnt to think about his actions more.

I wonder at what point Man Utd reintroduce him into the side.