talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mason Greenwood

24 minutes ago, Fusion said:

I read that they are even together with his 'gf', typical abusive relationship if it's true.

But doesn't that also mean that the club can now release his contract?

I don’t think the club can release him without a legal battle, it would have been different if charges stuck and he was convicted.

I think now they’ll either have to freeze him out and hope someone is willing to take him… or have the uncomfortable choice of whether to integrate him back into the side.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the girlfriend refused to testify against him or lay charges against him.  Also they say that new evidence has come to light.  Perhaps Greenwood and the girl friend are saying they were just role playing or the pictures where photo shopped.  Doesn't explain the video thou.

As for his future at United, get him into training this weekend and into the line up as soon as he is fit.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

or have the uncomfortable choice of whether to integrate him back into the side.

True that, and that would be really not a good idea since Ten Hag is trying to make a really strong, positive and united team that fans can back the players under most circumstances while getting rid of players that could cause negativity to the squad, be it by themselves or giving reasons to the press to start spouting negative stuff (Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard etc)

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think the club can release him without a legal battle, it would have been different if charges stuck and he was convicted.

I think now they’ll either have to freeze him out and hope someone is willing to take him… or have the uncomfortable choice of whether to integrate him back into the side.

if United release him it will amour to a unilateral cancellation and they will have to pay out the remainder of his contract

22 minutes ago, Fusion said:

True that, and that would be really not a good idea since Ten Hag is trying to make a really strong, positive and united team that fans can back the players under most circumstances while getting rid of players that could cause negativity to the squad, be it by themselves or giving reasons to the press to start spouting negative stuff (Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard etc)

Yeah think its best if United simply pay out his contract and let him go. 

• Upvote 1

Over to you Manchester United and the sponsors involved with the club. Will the club think his imagine is too damaged to let him continue with us I don't know but I'm pretty certain a few of the sponsors will be reluctant to have him being part their work with the club.

Then there are the fans of course, I've generally seen a mixed response so far with some saying they will never support him again and others saying charges have been dropped we need to let him get on with his life.

I'd prefer us to sell him myself, I don't think it gives a good image for the club and we should really make a stand against his behaviour. 

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This is why Women don't bother coming forward and reporting sexual harrasment.

There gets to a point where the victims refuse to testify anymore after the ordeal of all the court procedures. Sometimes it can take forever for cases to be resolved. Even then, other cases are deemed higher priority. It's easy for victims to become despondant.

We saw photos. We heard video recordings. She has bruises, blood from her nose. I've no qualms as going on record and saying he is a very, very lucky man.

The system is broken. Less than 1% of sexual offence reports end in a conviction. Thousands don't get reported because of the lack of belief in seeing justice. So what hope is there until the Government do somethibg to correct this?

We've seen people get off before, and will continue to do. More needs to be done to allow Women (or Men) to have the balls to come forward. 

As for Greenwood, he's a young man who has got a second chance in life that he's very lucky to have. Rightly or wrongly, he has to take that.

But whilst he may be innocent in Black and White on paper, there will always be a contentious Grey cloud that follows him now and he'll never escape it. 

While that's all very true,  this case is different.

The key witness and I am assuming that's the girlfriend,  has withdrawn her statement, and looks like she is refusing to testify or lay charges.

The police also mentioned new evidence, what can that be?   Has she said the video was of them role playing and the pictures where photo shopped or staged?

She seems to have forgiven him, wants to move on and doesn't want him to go to jail and have his career ruined. She's the victim here, if she is alright with the way this has turned out, than so be it.  The tragic thing is that once an abuser always an abuser, next time her could kill her.

You are innocent til proven guilty.  The crown isn't even willing to try to find him guilty, so you have to say under the law he is innocent.   

Get him into training and into the line up as soon as he is fit.  If United were to release him, lots of clubs would be in for him in a heartbeat.

• Subscriber

Let him move on, there is too much uncertainty surrounding this and maybe he is lucky that he has got away with it IF he did do whatever.

As the saying goes 'One bitten, twice shy', that doesn't mean he could do it again and if he did then I would rather he did it somewhere else and not at Manchester United FC. 

27 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

While that's all very true,  this case is different.

The key witness and I am assuming that's the girlfriend,  has withdrawn her statement, and looks like she is refusing to testify or lay charges.

The police also mentioned new evidence, what can that be?   Has she said the video was of them role playing and the pictures where photo shopped or staged?

She seems to have forgiven him, wants to move on and doesn't want him to go to jail and have his career ruined. She's the victim here, if she is alright with the way this has turned out, than so be it.  The tragic thing is that once an abuser always an abuser, next time her could kill her.

You are innocent til proven guilty.  The crown isn't even willing to try to find him guilty, so you have to say under the law he is innocent.   

Get him into training and into the line up as soon as he is fit.  If United were to release him, lots of clubs would be in for him in a heartbeat.

I'd be surprised if a lot of your fanbase wanted to see that. I think there's more to this 'Innocent till proven guilty' attitude really. Sometimes you got to look at the bigger picture and what your club should represent to it's people and not just the fact the is a good footballer there.

I would have thought a club the size of yours, with your history, a worldwide brand, would not want to be associated with Greenwood now whether he was Innocent or Guilty. 

For me, the cloud will always hang over him, there will be plenty of fans feeling it don't sit right with them, sponsors possibly, maybe even the players for all we know, it's all factors that could damage the PR of the club at a time when they were praised for handling the Ronaldo stuff really well.

It's no different to Mendy at Man City. They will get shot of him. He's 'innocent' apparently too, for now, although thats still ongoing and they can't say anything. But they won't want the negative conotations of having him associated with their brand.

In the eyes of many, be them United fans or fans of others, Greenwood is a marked man now. He's damaged goods. I'm not sure the values of the club should be compromised because he's a decent player.

But that's just my opinion. I guess we will see what happens and what your club chooses soon enough.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

It begs the question of 'why?' then, surely? Why is the statement withdrawn. Considering there was a charge of coercive behaviour, it does look a bit dodgy. 

I think the role play thing is pure speculation. Role play doesn't lead to an arrest and criminal proceedings. It wouldn't get this far down the line if it was just that. 

• Upvote 1

as a man of Law he cannot be deemed to have done something without being convicted, the presumption of innocence informs all western doctrine.

that aside his career is finish, the stigma in modern society that guilt by sentiment means he will never be anyth ing but a distraction.   he is done.

is further add that him not being aquitted will cause lingering stigma, if he was aquitted at trial it may have been better

Edited by OrangeKhrush

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

It begs the question of 'why?' then, surely? Why is the statement withdrawn. Considering there was a charge of coercive behaviour, it does look a bit dodgy. 

I think the role play thing is pure speculation. Role play doesn't lead to an arrest and criminal proceedings. It wouldn't get this far down the line if it was just that. 

Of course the role playing is pure speculation.   But there is new evidence that along with the witness withdrawing their statement, caused the Crown to drop the charges. The new evidence has to shed doubt on the video and photo evidence.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Of course the role playing is pure speculation.   But there is new evidence that along with the witness withdrawing their statement, caused the Crown to drop the charges. The new evidence has to shed doubt on the video and photo evidence.

Yeah, agree, just think role play is a bit of a stretch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I'd be surprised if a lot of your fanbase wanted to see that. I think there's more to this 'Innocent till proven guilty' attitude really. Sometimes you got to look at the bigger picture and what your club should represent to it's people and not just the fact the is a good footballer there.

I would have thought a club the size of yours, with your history, a worldwide brand, would not want to be associated with Greenwood now whether he was Innocent or Guilty. 

For me, the cloud will always hang over him, there will be plenty of fans feeling it don't sit right with them, sponsors possibly, maybe even the players for all we know, it's all factors that could damage the PR of the club at a time when they were praised for handling the Ronaldo stuff really well.

It's no different to Mendy at Man City. They will get shot of him. He's 'innocent' apparently too, for now, although thats still ongoing and they can't say anything. But they won't want the negative conotations of having him associated with their brand.

In the eyes of many, be them United fans or fans of others, Greenwood is a marked man now. He's damaged goods. I'm not sure the values of the club should be compromised because he's a decent player.

But that's just my opinion. I guess we will see what happens and what your club chooses soon enough.

The club has said it will now conduct its own process before determining next steps.  

I will be surprised if the club releases him , he's under contract til June 2026 and it will cost millions to buy him out.   Some sponsors and some of the fan base won't be happy, but the club didn't release Ronaldo after the accusation of rape or Giggs when the details of his affair with his brother's wife became known. . Neither did the fan base turn on either of them.

Too valuable of an assest to give away, more potential than Rashford and before this happened he had the highest-rated estimated transfer value in the club.

I suspect he plays for United again this season, there will be some grumbles among the fan base, but after the first game wining goal he scores, the fans will start cheering for him.

Edited by Redcanuck

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

as a man of Law he cannot be deemed to have done something without being convicted, the presumption of innocence informs all western doctrine.

that aside his career is finish, the stigma in modern society that guilt by sentiment means he will never be anyth ing but a distraction.   he is done.

is further add that him not being aquitted will cause lingering stigma, if he was aquitted at trial it may have been better

No chance his career is over.  If he is a free agent in the summer, he will get  offers from a lot of clubs. 

Including Newcastle, let's not forget who owns you, one of the greatest violators of human rights in history.  I think it's time you got off your high horse regarding United. 

Edited by Redcanuck
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Mason Greenwood can fuck off. And if you support him or his goal in playing for Manchester United ever again, you can fuck off as well.

You're such a ray of sunshine. 

21 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Mason Greenwood can fuck off. And if you support him or his goal in playing for Manchester United ever again, you can fuck off as well.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I believe that opinion won't be shared by the majority of the fanbase.

Greenwood will play for United again and United  fans will cheer him on, opposing fans will boo and sing offensive chants but they do that to opposing players anyway.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Redcanuck said:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I believe that opinion won't be shared by the majority of the fanbase.

Greenwood will play for United again and United  fans will cheer him on, opposing fans will boo and sing offensive chants but they do that to opposing players anyway.

I think the point is that he shouldn't play for them again and United fans shouldn't be cheering him on. 

• Upvote 1