talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sony to buy Bungie

football forum

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/31/sony-to-buy-video-game-maker-bungie-in-3point6-billion-deal.html

will allow Bungie's games to be cross-platform, which I think is a first for a Sony acquired studio.

Still I think this is a bit of a weird move. Bungie haven't really made a good game since Halo 3, imo. I'm not really a fan of either Destiny game (although Destiny 2 still has a very large playerbase, so clearly it's quite popular).

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/31/sony-to-buy-video-game-maker-bungie-in-3point6-billion-deal.html

will allow Bungie's games to be cross-platform, which I think is a first for a Sony acquired studio.

Still I think this is a bit of a weird move. Bungie haven't really made a good game since Halo 3, imo. I'm not really a fan of either Destiny game (although Destiny 2 still has a very large playerbase, so clearly it's quite popular).

As you say, Bungie have been a bit shit since Halo 3. I didn't like the Destiny BETA, so didn't buy into that franchise but have seen nothing but negativity about it.

15 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

As you say, Bungie have been a bit shit since Halo 3. I didn't like the Destiny BETA, so didn't buy into that franchise but have seen nothing but negativity about it.

I never played Destiny 1, but I played the second for a few weeks last year.

It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't good. Not the sort of multiplayer game that can suck me in for months, at least. But the game's clearly popular with a lot of people, it's got a healthy playerbase for a game so old (which it needs to have because it's a "games as a service" model and they want people buying their DLC and other shit).

It seemed like a very complicated version of Borderlands, to me at least, and if I want to play a game like that I'd play the less complicated version that's got a better story...

Having said that, I figure this is Sony's response to M$ buying Activision and the fear that CoD may soon be unavailable on the Playstation (although I don't think that'll happen, Microsoft's mostly a software company and will want their software on as many devices as possible - plus they've been big on trying to get more games to be cross-platform). I don't think there's many AAA FPS developers out there really, Valve doesn't really make Half-Life games anymore, Activision's owned by MS, same with Bethesda - so Sony probably wants to lock down some form of exclusivity in a shooter.

• Subscriber

I don't think this is about what Bungie have done and more about Bungie are going to do for Sony. .Keep in mind that this is the company that revolutionized the online experience for FPS when Halo and Destiny both shit the bed with their online presence. Microsoft have a lot to thank Bungie for in the years that XBL went from being patchy to the platinum-class system it is now. 

If they can get a game from a core studio out to the masses that can compete (and ideally should) with the likes of CoD or whatever other flavor of the month game-dev shops are pumping out Sony will be able to cash in on that. PSN isn't half as good as XBL and this might be Sony's attempt at capturing that market. 

Said the same with Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard and will say the same here.

I don't like this sort of thing one bit. Just seems like a counter purchase after the Microsoft agreement and just feel that we're seeing Sony and Microsoft buying everyone at present. 

Just see this and Microsoft's deal as a lose lose for us.

• Subscriber

Found this on the internet and I think it pretty much sums up why this happened.

Bungie makes Halo.
Microsoft buys Bungie to get Halo and make XBox.
Bungie makes Halo:CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and finally Halo Reach.
Bungie sick of Halo.
Bungie asks Microsoft if it can go away, Microsoft says, "lol, sure, but we keep Halo."
Microsoft starts 343 Industries to keep making Halo, a handful of Bungie staff stays behind, the rest go start making Destiny.
Bungie needs more money, signs exclusive publisher deal with Activision.
Bungie eventually gets sick of Activision, buys self out of publishing deal (as noted in article)
Bungie once again needs more money, sells self to Sony.

stay tuned for more drama on "As The Game Studio Turns..."

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Just see this and Microsoft's deal as a lose lose for us.

I think its kick-started everyone else (big devshops included) to start seeing who they can buy that will turn them profitable and thats a scary proposition for the consumers.

Archived