talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Brom Sack Steve Bruce; Carlos Corberan New Manager

• The title was changed to Valerin Ismael Dismissed by West Brom
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Bruce would be a classic West Brom appointment, following in the footsteps of previous greats such as Pulis, Hodgson, Pardew and Allardyce to take the helm.

Honestly, it's like they enjoy watching the same movie 200 times in the hope something different happens at the end.

• The title was changed to Valerin Ismael Dismissed by West Brom for Steve Bruce
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Lucas said:

I see the Steve Bruce effect is in full swing then.

Screenshot_20220222-214923_Samsung Internet.jpg

The recruitment process at some clubs its just baffling. West Brom's problem was never defending, it wasn't even creating chances, it was finding somebody who could finish the vast amount of chances they get. If anything, they've hired a Manager who prefers a style of football where they'll create less chances. It's up there with the Bournemouth board being surprised that Jonathan Woodgate couldn't deliver promotion last season.

Many clubs are no better. Take Reading with Paul Ince for example. In what world has somebody watched any of the punditry he's done for the last 5+ years and thought "That is man whose going to take my club I've already spent eight figures on forwards". 

It would be quite something if he went an entire season without winning a game with two clubs, with the one who sacked him surviving and the one he took over at being out of the play-off places that they were in when he took over.

I could actually see it happening. I don't know how even his mates in the media would spin that.

The sound of whirring rusted gears is Richard Keys and Gabby Agbonlahor trying to work it out.

3 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

It would be quite something if he went an entire season without winning a game with two clubs, with the one who sacked him surviving and the one he took over at being out of the play-off places that they were in when he took over.

I could actually see it happening. I don't know how even his mates in the media would spin that.

The sound of whirring rusted gears is Richard Keys and Gabby Agbonlahor trying to work it out.

the Steve Bruce damage control still club will be in overdrive

On 22/02/2022 at 21:50, Lucas said:

I see the Steve Bruce effect is in full swing then.

Screenshot_20220222-214923_Samsung Internet.jpg

Oh wow. Defeat at home to Swansea.

I would actually say if he doesn't get a win in the next 3 or 4, he'll be gone. 

At least a few years ago, Bruce could at least claim to be a decent level Championship manager, pre Villa. He's getting overtaken by brighter minds and better managers at that level. I'm not sure who'd take him at that level if West Brom went wrong.

He has that extremely bad mixture of dreadful results and a complete lack of loyalty - he'd walk in a second if he felt something better was coming along, there's no set of rivals he wouldn't manage and he'll hang about for the maximum pay off at the expense of any club.

His mates in the media actually make it worse for him - telling fans of the clubs he's managed to ignore the evidence of their eyes to protect him and telling them things like "at least he's having a go" (I heard that at Newcastle). He's a 61 year old millionaire from the work he does who has been in this career for nearly 24 years, he's not a three year old just working out how to do something and is not quite there yet. 

I can't see him doing a Hughes and starting again right at the bottom so yeah, I think after this inevitably goes wrong, he's done. 

"Outdated" is right.

I wonder if West Brom's Chinese owner Guochuan Lai, will have looked at Chris Wilder guiding Middlesbrough to the QF's of the Cup last night and 2pts off a playoff place, wondering why the fuck he didn't bring him in after his board had unanimously agreed he'd be the top target.

Now look at the fortunes of both sides. I can't see West Brom getting a playoff spot unless some drastic form appears out their arse, whilst Middlesbrough looklike dark horses to grab a playoff spot.

• The title was changed to Steve Bruce's West Brom
  • The title was changed to West Brom Sack Steve Bruce; Carlos Corberan New Manager

Archived