talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Brom Sack Steve Bruce; Carlos Corberan New Manager

23 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

At least a few years ago, Bruce could at least claim to be a decent level Championship manager, pre Villa. He's getting overtaken by brighter minds and better managers at that level. I'm not sure who'd take him at that level if West Brom went wrong.

He has that extremely bad mixture of dreadful results and a complete lack of loyalty - he'd walk in a second if he felt something better was coming along, there's no set of rivals he wouldn't manage and he'll hang about for the maximum pay off at the expense of any club.

His mates in the media actually make it worse for him - telling fans of the clubs he's managed to ignore the evidence of their eyes to protect him and telling them things like "at least he's having a go" (I heard that at Newcastle). He's a 61 year old millionaire from the work he does who has been in this career for nearly 24 years, he's not a three year old just working out how to do something and is not quite there yet. 

I can't see him doing a Hughes and starting again right at the bottom so yeah, I think after this inevitably goes wrong, he's done. 

"Outdated" is right.

Alan shearer may be a legend as a player but he is another plastic pundit that refuses to tell the harsh truth when it comes to anything Bruce,  due to his friendship.    Quite frankly a real friend will tell him to give it up now and retire. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/03/2022 at 17:01, Lucas said:

I wonder if West Brom's Chinese owner Guochuan Lai, will have looked at Chris Wilder guiding Middlesbrough to the QF's of the Cup last night and 2pts off a playoff place, wondering why the fuck he didn't bring him in after his board had unanimously agreed he'd be the top target.

Now look at the fortunes of both sides. I can't see West Brom getting a playoff spot unless some drastic form appears out their arse, whilst Middlesbrough looklike dark horses to grab a playoff spot.

I completely forgot about that. What a horrendous oversight. 

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Steve Bruce's West Brom
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

How in god's creation has Steve Bruce still got a job? xD

Played 11, Won 1, Drawn 7, Lost 3, Pts 10. 21st place.

They signed Jed Wallace and John Swift in the summer for fucks sake. They should be in the Top 6 easy.

West Brom sacked Moore and Ismael when both had the team in the playoffs. Bruce took over when the club was 5th last season. 

They need to act NOW.

49 minutes ago, Lucas said:

How in god's creation has Steve Bruce still got a job? xD

Played 11, Won 1, Drawn 7, Lost 3, Pts 10. 21st place.

They signed Jed Wallace and John Swift in the summer for fucks sake. They should be in the Top 6 easy.

West Brom sacked Moore and Ismael when both had the team in the playoffs. Bruce took over when the club was 5th last season. 

They need to act NOW.

It sounds like there's a lot of instability behind the scenes. Kieron Maguire was saying last week the owner has taken out approximately seven million in loans which he pays back once the club pay him the same amount first.

I'd be willing to bet that when they do finally get rid of Bruce and a new guy reverses his utter incompetence and gets them marching up the table for a shot at PL promotion next season, his sycophantic mates in the media will say that "Brucey deserves credit for laying the groundwork" and crap like that.

Keep Bruce for the season, it will be League One.

• The title was changed to West Brom Sack Steve Bruce

Surely that has to be it for this guy? I know his mates in the media will talk him up and insult people's intelligence by calling him a "top manager who wasn't given enough time" and drivel like that but no club surely will go in for him now?

He was always a terrible Premier League manager but the one thing that he could at least say he had going for him was that he was once able to get teams out of the Championship. He can't even do that. He was taking Villa towards League One before Dean Smith fixed it and he's taken West Brom from fifth to the relegation zone of the Championship in less than a year. He is lazy by all accounts and does the bare minimum for any club he is at, he's an absolute dinosaur tactically who doesn't have a clue regarding the modern game and his time at Newcastle and West Brom has surely blown the "nice guy" image he's tried to cultivate through the media.

Newcastle fans may be chuckling now that the "fella from Bournemouth" has been at Newcastle just as long as Bruce was at West Brom (roughly) and has taken Newcastle from the relegation places to fifth in the Premier League until United's win yesterday whereas Bruce took over West Brom when they were fifth and has taken them into the relegation zone.

I think he and his blithering idiot offspring are done.

• Administrator

Wonder if Dyche can be persuaded to go there - big enough club that needs a bit of stability and organisation and discipline. They have the players and I think Dyche could work with them to recover from this start, then look to promotion next season...

4 hours ago, Stan said:

Wonder if Dyche can be persuaded to go there - big enough club that needs a bit of stability and organisation and discipline. They have the players and I think Dyche could work with them to recover from this start, then look to promotion next season...

I think if does go there it would show that he'd rather manage a team that is expected to just stay in the league. Nothing wrong with that as  not everyone wants the pressure of managing a club that wants more than that.  But I think he could do better. Maybe a club like Leicester  :ph34r:

West Brom have to get this right.

They didn't do their usual and bounce straight back last season and they are 13pts off automatic already this season.

They are at risk of falling into Stoke's category and just treading water in this division if they don't go up this season so they need to push and get playoffs at the least.

They have the players but the system needs changing to get the best out their attacking talent. I'm convinced the right man in would see them shoot up the table and get a playoff spot come May.

40 minutes ago, Lucas said:

West Brom have to get this right.

They didn't do their usual and bounce straight back last season and they are 13pts off automatic already this season.

They are at risk of falling into Stoke's category and just treading water in this division if they don't go up this season so they need to push and get playoffs at the least.

They have the players but the system needs changing to get the best out their attacking talent. I'm convinced the right man in would see them shoot up the table and get a playoff spot come May.

To be fair, given how tight the Championship is, the general lack of consistency from anyone and how early we still are, they could close that gap fairly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

They've gone for Carlos Corberan. Effectively transitioning back to what they wanted in the first place with Valerin Ismael.

I hope it works for him. He's a talented coach and was so close to getting it right with Huddersfield.

West Brom have some decent players and if he can implement his style there, they should be able to carry it off and climb the league.

• 2 months later...

And what a job he is doing. From bottom of the league to 1pt off playoffs.

West Brom are absolutely flying having won 8 of Corberan's first 10 games.

The key? SEVEN clean sheets, which have helped massively. They haven't been stuffing sides, it's not really their way, but you only need to score one or two if you are keeping it tight defensively.

Definitely got themselves back in the playoff frame now and if Dike stays fit and they can get Aherne Grant back, they will be well set for playoffs.

• The title was changed to West Brom Sack Steve Bruce; Carlos Corberan New Manager
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived