talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best atmosphere at a match

football forum

This would have been early 90's, Chelsea at Old Trafford.

I recall at the away terrace there was a small terrace at each end where the Utd supporters stood.

They seemed to sing non-stop and especially when the home crowd tried to get a song going virtually cancelling out the Away support.

Someone had the idea of singing, 'One man went to mow' song.

They gestured for everyone to crouch down and I recall even older Ladies and Gents with umbrellas and hats  joining in and crouching too. The numbers for the song were being called out and as this was happening I looked across the  away terrace and was impressed as you could see the whole way along.

Finally 10 men was reached and we all stood to chant Chelsea, Chelsea.

Before we got to the second chant of Chelsea the whole of Old Trafford woke up and the volume was so loud all I could hear was a buzz. I couldn't even hear the people around me.

It was the only time I experienced that intensity of noise in a stadium. 

What's yours?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

At the King Power, coming back from 3-1 down to beat Man Utd in Sept 2014.

Several of the title-winning season matches. Especially the comeback victory against Villa (0-2 to 3-2) and the Everton 3-1 final home game preceding the trophy lift. 

First CL match against Porto Sept 2016.

2nd leg 2-0 win over Sevilla March 2017. 

I don't go to many away games but when we beat Everton 2-3 away in Dec 2015 it was brilliant. Shitty weather, drenched all game and on the way back to the station but one of those where you just don't give a shit because you and your team came away with 3 points. 

• Administrator

I still remember going to Estadio Vicente Calderon to watch Atletico Madrid vs Malaga in October 2012. That was phenomenal as a first experience of watching a match outside of UK. Made sweeter with a last minute goal for Atletico, albeit an OG. 

I have another one, watching Chelsea in Austria where we drew 1-1 thanks to a great run and finish by wee Johnny Spencer.

As we were made to wait they played Frank Sinatra, New York, New York over the tannoys and all the Chelsea fans sang along.

It seemed ironic as it was something the old man would have liked.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

I still remember going to Estadio Vicente Calderon to watch Atletico Madrid vs Malaga in October 2012. That was phenomenal as a first experience of watching a match outside of UK. Made sweeter with a last minute goal for Atletico, albeit an OG. 

I remember you saying you were there when Vardy scored the first one of this 5, was there a roar then, great goal too. 

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Waylander said:

@CaaC (John)On a similar note to you almost losing your teeth, I once lost a contact lense seeing we were going to concede another to either Wimbledon or Coventry at home.

Dave Beasant was our keeper back then.

The story behind that is I have 3 front false teeth and when he scored and run towards us, we were all screaming to the high heavens and the girls and guys behind me surged forward into my back and my 3 false teeth nearly went flying from my gob. xD

• Subscriber

Might have posted this before, but this is one of the favourite matches i've been to. I think it was the Quarters of the FA Cup. McCarthy 1-0. Atmosphere was great all game then this worldie won it for us with not long to do. Loved Benni Mc!

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

Might have posted this before, but this is one of the favourite matches i've been to. I think it was the Quarters of the FA Cup. McCarthy 1-0. Atmosphere was great all game then this worldie won it for us with not long to do. Loved Benni Mc!

I think it was the fourth round. I remember when you knocked us out at the Emirates as well. You were the first team to win an fa cup tie at arsenal in over 15 years I  think. And you did it when in the championship

Bristol Rovers at Elland Road on the last day the season we got promoted from League One.

I've never known a roar like it. Years of pent up frustration and anger let out, Elland Road was like a cauldren.

Honestly, we were 1-0 down with 10 men, but the sheer noise and energy in the ground, Bristol Rovers absolutely shit themselves.

They just weren't used to that atmospere at all, and the crowd overturned that deficit.

Archived