talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Right to Repair

football forum

• Subscriber

This isn't a new topic as its gone through a lot of hurdles and really started with Apple not allowing independent vendors to fix iPhones. However, its also gone to cars in the state of Massachusetts and then it took a completely different turn which is a bit funny. If you haven't seen or know about it theres two videos below (one for the car issue and the other for RTR in general).

I only post Louis's video because he's been one of the biggest pushers of the bill for RTR and I think there's a valid point there. The scary thing in the auto debacle is how much data the manufacturers have that they won't/don't want to share with independent mechanics which I can get behind because why would you want someone tampering with the wireless system of your car. Having said that it does raise the question about how much data your car manufacturer has. 

Anyone ever run into this issue and also, what are your thoughts?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Fuck them all. As if planned obsolescence wasn't bad enough... If I buy a product, as far as I'm concerned it is mine, and so I am free to do with it whatever I want afterwards; no manufacturer should have any say in that. In a perfect world, manufacturers that adopt this practice extensively would be punished by the consumers by boycotting their products and switching to their competitors.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The idea that people don't have the right to repair their cars doesn't sit well with me.

To be honest, with modern cars being pretty much computers on wheels, it's already hard to do any repairs yourself. I absolutely hate it. Give me a 30 year old car instead of a brand new electronic shitbox any time.

Archived