talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

I've recently read Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan and The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. Enjoyed them both but preferred the latter.

Don't know what I'm gonna read next. Maybe Death in Venice of The Time Machine.

17 minutes ago, nudge said:

Thoroughly enjoyed it; must be in my top 20 books ever. Just love the story and the symbolism.

Well my Queue is quite barren after this is done, so I'll be needing some recommendations. 

• Administrator

Got Vardy's book for Xmas, also have a couple of books recounting last season's memorable achievements.

5000-1 by Rob Tanner (Leicester Mercury journalist) and The Unbelievables by David Bevan, a fan-written book following home and away trips right from the start of last season with added bits of nostalgia from yesteryear. Plus me and my brother get a mention in it :D 

Concentrating on Indian authors and trying to finish some local books.

Finished with 'The White Tiger' and as city (born and bred) lad to learn about Naxal-inflicted towns/village (darkness as he describes in the books) was gut wrenching. Us, urban folk, are largely unaware of those inner villages. I have noticed few incidents mentioned in newspapers from time to time, but reading about them in so much detail was an eyeopener. Therefore, have now started reading 'Hello Bastar: The Untold Story Of Indias Maoist Movement' by Rahul Pandita, and quite frankly its more tragic.

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Upvote 3

Just finished the Game of Thrones series of books.  I wanted to read them before I started to watch the TV series but not sure I'll actually bother now.

They were entertaining but quite heavy going!

Re reading Wilbur Smith. The Courtenay series. Absolutely brilliant.

Also slowly working my way through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm told by so many that it knocks a Song of Ice and Fire out of the park but I'm at book four and I'm definitely not feeling that just yet....

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Concentrating on Indian authors and trying to finish some local books.

Finished with 'The White Tiger' and as city (born and bred) lad to learn about Naxal-inflicted towns/village (darkness as he describes in the books) was gut wrenching. Us, urban folk, are largely unaware of those inner villages. I have noticed few incidents mentioned in newspapers from time to time, but reading about them in so much detail was an eyeopener. Therefore, have now started reading 'Hello Bastar: The Untold Story Of Indias Maoist Movement' by Rahul Pandita, and quite frankly its more tragic.

I read The White Tiger last year and absolutely loved it. I don't have much exposure to Indian literature, but this book is definitely a masterpiece.

• Upvote 1

On 07/03/2017 at 5:35 PM, nudge said:

I read The White Tiger last year and absolutely loved it. I don't have much exposure to Indian literature, but this book is definitely a masterpiece.

As a suggestion, you could try Vikram Seth and Amitav Gosh. I don't like Arundhati Roy the person or the politics she indulges in, but her 'God of Small Things' was a masterpiece and one of my favourite books.

• Upvote 1

Finished reading "our moon has blood clots" by Rahul Pandita which is about the exodus of kashmiri pundits in kashmir, India. Great book for anyone interested about that part of the world.

Right now Im reading My Turn by Cruyff

• Upvote 1

'¡Adios, America!' by Ann Coulter. Interesting read, very well researched and often very inflammatory. No pulled punches on the history of American immigration and the future of it. Being an immigrant myself, I thought it'd be worth a read. One of the best moments of the book is the argument that 'America isn't a nation of immigrants' but 'a creation of Dutch and British settlers'. 'How can the settlers be immigrants if they had not nation to immigrate to?'.

On 06/03/2017 at 3:34 PM, ATL said:

Just started -

American Gods

american-gods-1.thumb.jpg.1031b9777c0e761549e957aeea6eff7f.jpg

Amazing book by an amazing author. If you enjoy it I'd advise you try Neverwhere and if you're into graphic novels then The Sandman is great.

On 07/03/2017 at 7:20 AM, Harry said:

Re reading Wilbur Smith. The Courtenay series. Absolutely brilliant.

Also slowly working my way through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm told by so many that it knocks a Song of Ice and Fire out of the park but I'm at book four and I'm definitely not feeling that just yet....

Wheel of time is great but it's diffierent to Game of Thrones. I personally loved it. 

I'm reading the Wasp Factory by Iain Banks as my gateway drug to him before I start working through the culture series 

football forum

Halfway through Johan Cruyff's autobiography which has proved to be as fascinating and inspiring as I thought it would be.

I'd be happy to recommend it to anyone on here.