talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• 4 weeks later...

51DC+-hiuvL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Had already read Animal Farm, 1984, and some of his short writings but I really had forgot how amazing a writer Orwell was. It’s presumably made-up or embellished at parts but it’s still an incredible read about poverty in the 1920s. The way he writes about homeless people and other people at the bottom of society with such earnestness, totally without patronisation, given his upbringing and education is amazing.

I started it on the train to Newcastle and by the time I had got off the return train back in Edinburgh with my girlfriend I was basically halfway through the 200-odd pages. 

8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

347610.jpg

First thing I've read about the Congo Free State but I've found the book a really accessible and attention-grabbing read so far.

Let me know how that goes. 

Also, are you seriously Danish? 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Let me know how that goes. 

Also, are you seriously Danish? 

Nope, I'm just a Scot who lived there for a year. My girlfriend is a Dane, so I'm trying to improve my Danish for when I go over to meet her family. 

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Nope, I'm just a Scot who lived there for a year. My girlfriend is a Dane, so I'm trying to improve my Danish for when I go over to meet her family. 

How's that going? I have looked into Danish, however it's somewhat pointless unless you have so tie into Denmark.

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

How's that going? I have looked into Danish, however it's somewhat pointless unless you have so tie into Denmark.

Yeah it's basically pointless unless you plan on going there. It has some use as a bridge into understanding a bit of Swedish and Norwegian (and written Norwegian is almost identical to written Danish) but if that was all you were interested in, then it would probably better to start with Swedish. 

It's quite easy to start reading with a little practice as the grammar is not far from English, and there are a lot of words connected to the English equivalent. If you can read another Germanic language then it's even easier to guess the meaning of most words you come across.

The pronunciation is extremely difficult for English speakers to get their heads around though, and it takes a lot of listening to even start picking out a phrase here and there, but my girlfriend sometimes humours me by suddenly saying something in Danish to help me practise. 

17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Yeah it's basically pointless unless you plan on going there. It has some use as a bridge into understanding a bit of Swedish and Norwegian (and written Norwegian is almost identical to written Danish) but if that was all you were interested in, then it would probably better to start with Swedish. 

It's quite easy to start reading with a little practice as the grammar is not far from English, and there are a lot of words connected to the English equivalent. If you can read another Germanic language then it's even easier to guess the meaning of most words you come across.

The pronunciation is extremely difficult for English speakers to get their heads around though, and it takes a lot of listening to even start picking out a phrase here and there, but my girlfriend sometimes humours me by suddenly saying something in Danish to help me practise. 

Yeah - I am fascinated by about 4 countries in the world, and Denmark is one. I actually visited Copenhagen maybe 10-15 years ago and absolutely loved it. I remember enjoy Tivoli park and having some of the best ice cream I've ever had. xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yeah - I am fascinated by about 4 countries in the world, and Denmark is one. I actually visited Copenhagen maybe 10-15 years ago and absolutely loved it. I remember enjoy Tivoli park and having some of the best ice cream I've ever had. xD

What are the other 3? :P 

Also, danish hot dogs and open sandwiches are amazing :x Like most of their food, to be honest.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

What are the other 3? :P 

Also, danish hot dogs and open sandwiches are amazing :x Like most of their food, to be honest.

Denmark, Romania, Hungary and Iceland. 

• Upvote 1

kroniske-660x495.jpg

"Chronic Innocence". It's the first book I've tried reading in Danish and I'm struggling to do more than a few pages at once tbh. It's weird how when you're reading a newspaper or a webpage, a lot of reading can seem quite easy since it's a lot of small bits of text. In any case, this is only about 150 pages so I'm hoping it doesn't take me too long. 

Edited by Inverted

Finished Keane’s audiobook. I really enjoyed it and it portrays Keane completely differently from how he comes across on television. He holds his hands up and admits his mistakes, something Johan Cruyff just simply didn’t do at all in his book (nothing was ever Cruyff’s fault, it seemed) and he speaks well about his time in management at Sunderland and Ipswich. 

I’m now on “Fifty Years it Hurt” by Henry Winter, about why England have been crap since ‘66. It’s a very, very good listen and I’d recommend. 

• 5 weeks later...

@SirBalon @Stan @El Profesor @Storts @The Rebel CRS

I'm tagging you 5 specifically because I know you all like football history no matter where its from. I'm writing a book with a colleague at the moment in English about the history of Peruvian football, from the foudning of it by Brits in the 1800's to the 2018 World Cup.

I'm about 31 pages in and have a goal of 5 pages a day. What do you guys think?

45 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm tagging you 5 specifically because I know you all like football history no matter where its from. I'm writing a book with a colleague at the moment in English about the history of Peruvian football, from the foudning of it by Brits in the 1800's to the 2018 World Cup.

I think it's a good idea. Remember to have anecdotes and not just a book on facts and stats...  Those books are boring and we have internet for that. Interviews would be good too.

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think it's a good idea. Remember to have anecdotes and not just a book on facts and stats...  Those books are boring and we have internet for that. Interviews would be good too.

Yeah I'm trying to segway it as best I can. I'm not writing it alone though, I'm doing it with 2 mates. 1 is writing other bits and the other is editing. If I work on 5 pages a day like I hope to, I think it could take me 3 months. I'll probably have a few breaks though so I think more realistically it will be done in 6 months.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Blue said:

@nudge I'll tag you as well :P

I'll take it as a confirmation that the book will feature a chapter dedicated solely to the god of football that is also known as Claudio Pizarro :x

Nah, sounds good mate.

13 hours ago, Blue said:

Great idea and good luck with it mate as it seems like a passion of yours and you should stick at it.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I'll take it as a confirmation that the book will feature a chapter dedicated solely to the god of football that is also known as Claudio Pizarro :x

Nah, sounds good mate.

Haha it won't be a chapter but he will certainly have a biography just like I am doing with the rest of the important players!

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Great idea and good luck with it mate as it seems like a passion of yours and you should stick at it.

It for sure is, I'm enjoying writing this. I'm in the 1960's at the moment in writing, and the next 20 years is probably going to be the biggest focus since it was a good generation for us!

Sent this to Balon but here are a few players that will be discussed.

1920's-1930's

Julio Lores (Necaxa) - First peruvian to play abroad

Alejandro Villanueva (Alianza Lima)

Teodoro "Lolo" Fernandez (Universitario)

Jorge Alcalde (Sport Boys)

Adelfo Magallanes (Alianza Lima)

Juan Honores (Universitario)

1940's

Jose Soriano (River Plate) voted River's best foreign goalkeeper of all time.

Valeriano Lopez (Sport Boys)

Guillermo "Willy" Barbadillo (Sport Boys)

Roberto "Tito" Drago (Municipal)

Carlos Gomez Sanchez (Alianza Lima)

1950's

Alberto "Toto" Terry (Universitario)

Walter Ormeño (Boca Juniors)

Juan Seminario (FC Barcelona)

Miguel Loayza (Boca Juniors)

Oscar Gomez Sanchez (River Plate)

Juan Jayo (Peñarol)

Albert Loret de Mola (Las Palmas) First Peruvian to play in Spain

Guillermo Delgado (Alianza Lima)

1960's-1970's

Eloy Campos (Sporting Cristal)

Orlando de la Torre (Sporting Cristal)

Teofilo Cubillas (FC Porto)

Roberto Chale (Universitario)

Hugo Sotil (FC Barcelona)

Hector Chumpitaz (Universitario)

Percy Rojas (Universitario)

Pedro Pablo Leon (Alianza Lima)

Ramon Mifflin (Santos)

Cesar Cueto (Atletico Nacional)

Julio Baylon (Fortuna Koln)

Alberto Gallardo (Milan)

Juan Carlos Oblitas (Universitario)

Juan Jose Muñante (Pumas)

Ramon Quiroga (Sporting Cristal)

1980's

Franco Navarro (Independiente)

Geronimo Barbadillo (Tigres)

Julio Cesar Uribe (Sporting Cristal)

Eduardo Malasquez (Deportivo Municipal)

Luis Reyna (Sporting Cristal)

1990's

Chemo del Solar (Tenerife)

Roberto "Chorri" Palacios (Sporting Cristal)

Nolberto Solano (Newcastle)

Jorge Soto (Flamengo)

Flavio Maestri (Sporting Cristal)

Julio Balerio (Sporting Cristal)

2000's

Claudio Pizarro (Werder Bremen)

Paolo Guerrero (Hamburg)

Juan Manuel Vargas (Fiorentina)

Jefferson Farfan (Schalke 04)

Alberto Rodriguez (Braga)

2010's

Christian Cueva (Sao Paulo)

Edison Flores (Universitario)

Andre Carrillo (Sporting Lisbon)

Pedro Gallese (Veracruz)

Anderson Santamaria (Puebla)

Christian Ramos (Emelec)

Yoshimar Yotun (Malmo)

Raul Ruidiaz (Morelia)

Renato Tapia (Feyenoord)

Miguel Trauco (Flamengo)

Luis Advincula (Newells)

Edited by Guest

Please don't flood this thread @Blue with your book, feel free to create another thread. This is about books 'You are Currently Reading', not books you are 'Pretending to Write'. 

On a side note, I need a good sci-fi book. Any good recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Eco said:

Please don't flood this thread @Blue with your book, feel free to create another thread. This is about books 'You are Currently Reading', not books you are 'Pretending to Write'. 

On a side note, I need a good sci-fi book. Any good recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Have you read anything by Ursula LeGuin?