talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

• Subscriber
On 3/8/2017 at 10:24 PM, IgnisExcubitor said:

As a suggestion, you could try Vikram Seth and Amitav Gosh. I don't like Arundhati Roy the person or the politics she indulges in, but her 'God of Small Things' was a masterpiece and one of my favourite books.

Sorry, only saw this now, but thanks for recommendation! Any particular suggestions on which books I should try? No poetry please.

Other than The White Tiger, the only Indian literature I've read so far is Mahabharata, Ramayana, some of the Pali Canon, Rabindranath Tagore and Kama Sutra xD Also Salman Rushdie, if it counts.

Edited by nudge

12 hours ago, nudge said:

Sorry, only saw this now, but thanks for recommendation! Any particular suggestions on which books I should try? No poetry please.

Other than The White Tiger, the only Indian literature I've read so far is Mahabharata, Ramayana, some of the Pali Canon, Rabindranath Tagore and Kama Sutra xD Also Salman Rushdie, if it counts.

Must read in my opinion... I read this in my local language few years ago but glad to know that they had this in english too... hopefully its translated well without losing the content...  autobiography-of-a-yogi-book-cover

• Upvote 1

@nudge Rushdie counts. Loved his Midnight's children. Kudos to you for reading big texts like Ramayana and Mahabharata. I was happy acquainting myself  with TV series, movies and tales from grandparents. I read Kamasutra as a teenager and was surprised to find so much beyond sex; the whole way of life (rules and duties) according to the class. 

Anyways, here are my recommendations for novels by Indian novelists, Vikram Seth's A suitable boy, Amitav Gosh's Ibis Trilogy, Arundhati Roy's God of Small Things, Anita Desai's Clear Light of the Day and Village by Sea.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

51urD44RcPL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished reading it and the insight into how speed and accuracy nearly conned everyone is great. It really is amazing what lengths some people go to just to get an edge on people even if its a micro-second of an advantage.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

@nudge Rushdie counts. Loved his Midnight's children. Kudos to you for reading big texts like Ramayana and Mahabharata. I was happy acquainting myself  with TV series, movies and tales from grandparents. I read Kamasutra as a teenager and was surprised to find so much beyond sex; the whole way of life (rules and duties) according to the class. 

Anyways, here are my recommendations for novels by Indian novelists, Vikram Seth's A suitable boy, Amitav Gosh's Ibis Trilogy, Arundhati Roy's God of Small Things, Anita Desai's Clear Light of the Day and Village by Sea.

Both Ramayana and Mahabharata were on my school curriculum, hehe... Abridged versions, of course, but still. Kamasutra was a gift of my cheeky friends for my 18th birthday, I was also surprised how much of it was about the philosophy of love and relationships, contrary to the common perception of it being a wild sex manual, haha. It was so popular among my friends that I actually only kept the book for a week or two; everyone started borrowing it afterwards, and I'm sure that after 13 years it's still being shared in the circles of friends of friends xD

Thanks for your recommendations, I'll google them and then order a few right away!

UPDATE: decided on the Ibis Trilogy, found all three books for $33 on the Book Depository! Cheers again :)

Edited by nudge
  • Upvote 1

On 3/6/2017 at 11:21 AM, IgnisExcubitor said:

Concentrating on Indian authors and trying to finish some local books.

Finished with 'The White Tiger' and as city (born and bred) lad to learn about Naxal-inflicted towns/village (darkness as he describes in the books) was gut wrenching. Us, urban folk, are largely unaware of those inner villages. I have noticed few incidents mentioned in newspapers from time to time, but reading about them in so much detail was an eyeopener. Therefore, have now started reading 'Hello Bastar: The Untold Story Of Indias Maoist Movement' by Rahul Pandita, and quite frankly its more tragic.

I missed this post and just read it now. I read Our moon has blood clots by Rahul Pandita which was fantastically written IMO and after reading your post I added  his Hello Bastar to my list. 

• Upvote 1

Bought some Dutch political books:

- De empathische samenleving (The Empathetic Society) by Jesse Klaver, leader of the Dutch Greens. Read it in a day and it's simplistic trash without a hint of intellectual depth. No wonder his party wants to lower the voting age, because children are the only ones who will be able to relate to this.

- De aanval op de natiestaat (published in English as The Significance of Borders. Why representative government and rule of law require nation-states) by Thierry Baudet, Dutch MP. Currently working my way through it, and so far it presents a very thorough argument against supranational organisations such as the EU and the UN through a multidisciplinary analysis of the history of states, nations, law and government.

- Minderheid in eigen land (Minority in One's Own Country) by Martin Bosma, Freedom Party MP and former Speaker of the House of Representatives. A critical look at the crimes of the ANC and its enablers in the Dutch media. Have yet to read.

• Subscriber

Started reading The Feynman Lectures on Physics as I want to refresh my knowledge which is quite rusty at this point... Feynman had a great talent to explain complex ideas very simply and make it accessible to anyone; this must the best educational book ever.

16 hours ago, nudge said:

Started reading The Feynman Lectures on Physics as I want to refresh my knowledge which is quite rusty at this point... Feynman had a great talent to explain complex ideas very simply and make it accessible to anyone; this must the best educational book ever.

I remember watching a YouTube video of one of his introductory lectures on the scientific method. Despite having zero prior interest in science (I did the bare minimum in school to get the grades I needed) I was totally hooked in.

Anyway, I've moved onto this now:

9780140012354-uk-300.jpg

Its comparatively short to what I've been reading recently so I hopefully should be done in a couple of weeks. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I remember watching a YouTube video of one of his introductory lectures on the scientific method. Despite having zero prior interest in science (I did the bare minimum in school to get the grades I needed) I was totally hooked in.

Anyway, I've moved onto this now:

9780140012354-uk-300.jpg

Its comparatively short to what I've been reading recently so I hopefully should be done in a couple of weeks. 

Have you read any Kafka before? Used to love his work when I first read it years ago; especially The Process, The Metamorphosis, and Letter to his Father. It's a shame he actually destroyed most of his manuscripts and drafts before his death...

26 minutes ago, nudge said:

Have you read any Kafka before? Used to love his work when I first read it years ago; especially The Process, The Metamorphosis, and Letter to his Father. It's a shame he actually destroyed most of his manuscripts and drafts before his death...

Yeah I'm a huge fan. My favourite book is The Metamorphosis, and I've also read The Trial/Process, as well as a few of his short stories like In the Penal Colony, The Stoker, and The Judgement. I managed to find an edition of the Metamorphosis with a load of his short stories in a little used book store in Glasgow.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just finished catching up on Hajime Isayama's Attack on Titan Manga. When I first watched season 1 of the anime I thought it was one of those run-of-the-mill kind of shows but then it started getting really deep and now I feel guilty reading ahead because they started season 2 and knowing things ahead of time can spoil a lot of the show for you.

On 6 March 2017 at 5:03 PM, ATL said:

Well my Queue is quite barren after this is done, so I'll be needing some recommendations. 

Another +1 from me for American Gods. If you liked Gaiman’s style, he’s written some excellent collections of short stories, too. Smoke and Mirrors is a favourite of mine. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, tarzanontoast said:

Just started The Day of the Triffids

Considering it was published in 1951, the style of the opening 3 chapters, at least, seem a direct inspiration for modern-day zombie hits such as The Walking Dead or 28 Days Later.

triffids.jpg

ooooh I love the Triffids, one of the most underappreciated scifi novels of all time. The premise of mobile, flesh eating plants is very weird, but somehow it works, hehe. There's actually a sequel as well, albeit by a different author...

On 07/03/2017 at 6:20 PM, Harry said:

Have been slowly working my way through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm told by so many that it knocks a Song of Ice and Fire out of the park but I'm at book four and I'm definitely not feeling that just yet....

Am halfway through book 4 now and it is heating up. Definitely shaping up to be a very solid series now! A whole vivid world just as immersive as Game of Thrones. 

• Subscriber

I do listen to audio books sometimes, but the narrator has to be really great for me to be able to enjoy it, preferably the author himself. 

I have a lot of ebooks, but have trouble and don't really enjoy reading them, to be honest. It's just not the same.