talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What Are You Currently Reading?

football forum

23 hours ago, Eco said:

Have it and have never read it. Was the book that supposedly changed Steve Job's life and the book was passed around at his funeral. 

Currently about to be finished with this one, which has been a really enjoyable read. 

51pcmD+vWhL.jpg

Just finished. Holy shit. Probably one of the saddest books I've read in awhile, and knowing it's all a true story just makes it that much more serious. 

9.5/10 for me. 

• Subscriber

Started the Accursed Kings series. Apparently very similar to the Song of Ice and Fire books, originally written in French and based on the Hundred Years War. Halfway through the first book The Iron King. Pretty decent so far.

Currently started in next Steve Berry book in the series, The Charlemagne Pursuit.

About 1/3 of the way through and it's good. I really enjoy these books as they are easy, usually based in an area that I enjoy (this one in parts of Germany), and have some history wrapped around a lot of fiction. 

On 05/01/2019 at 20:25, Eco said:

Currently started in next Steve Berry book in the series, The Charlemagne Pursuit.

About 1/3 of the way through and it's good. I really enjoy these books as they are easy, usually based in an area that I enjoy (this one in parts of Germany), and have some history wrapped around a lot of fiction. 

Finished this book. 

Next up are two books at the same time. The first is the next in line after TCP. 

9780345525574-us.jpg

The other book has made a lot of noise here in the States, written by two Navy SEALs, on life and achieving great things. 

815g1O76zBL.jpg

Finished this at the weekend 

51pyN9G0KfL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I find Tim Marshall is good at relaying facts about the environment we live in. Prisoners of Geography is a great book. This one too is good it tells you the borders that exist, why, who believes what etc around the world. The downside however is that in his last chapter or two he turns to Brexit and the book suddenly becomes more about his philosophy and what should be done to heal the divides. The book goes from facts to something very different. It's not remain or leave it's just yet another take on what Britain needs. Every man and his dog has an opinion on that, it's not book worthy.

Now I am about 80 pages into Yanis Varoufakis account of dealing with the establishment that turned the Greek recession into a depression and a debt colony.

41MlnvPiwmL._AC_SY400_.jpg

On 07/01/2019 at 14:43, Eco said:

Finished this book. 

Next up are two books at the same time. The first is the next in line after TCP. 

9780345525574-us.jpg

The other book has made a lot of noise here in the States, written by two Navy SEALs, on life and achieving great things. 

815g1O76zBL.jpg

Finished both of these this past weekend. 

Now I'm reading 3 books, spend time in the morning on the first, reading the second during lunch, and the third right before bed. 

358540._SY180_.jpg

7840156._SY180_.jpg

40121378._SY180_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Great Divide is a collection of essays as opposed to a cohesive book so I've paused on that and decided to read some fiction again. 

Just finished this:

157004.jpg?v=1496181753

Just a stunning, horrifying, gut-wrenching book. Possibly the first book that's ever brought me to tears.

Edited by Inverted

• Subscriber
On 20/12/2018 at 18:40, nudge said:

Just got this today...

the-unknown-kimi-raikkonen-9781471177668

On 08/01/2019 at 03:20, nudge said:

Almost finished with Kimi's book; this is the next in line:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv

Finished both now. Absolutely loved Kimi's book; the only complain is that it's too short haha. Great read. 
Chasing New Horizons is a very good read as well. Very informative and gives a unique insider insight into the Pluto mission.

Currently listening to an audiobook:

918lcUe62SL.jpg

Currently reading:

1491-new-revelations-of-the-americas-bef

Been recommended it quite a long time ago; finally got it and started reading it today...

In this groundbreaking work of science, history, and archaeology, Charles C. Mann radically alters our understanding of the Americas before the arrival of Columbus in 1492.

Contrary to what so many Americans learn in school, the pre-Columbian Indians were not sparsely settled in a pristine wilderness; rather, there were huge numbers of Indians who actively molded and influenced the land around them. The astonishing Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan had running water and immaculately clean streets, and was larger than any contemporary European city. Mexican cultures created corn in a specialized breeding process that it has been called man’s first feat of genetic engineering. Indeed, Indians were not living lightly on the land but were landscaping and manipulating their world in ways that we are only now beginning to understand. Challenging and surprising, this a transformative new look at a rich and fascinating world we only thought we knew.

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Al-Biruni accuratly predicted Earth's circumference, he theorized the existence of a landmass along the ocean between Asia and Europe aka Americas.

His work was available in Europe before Colombus.

Good for him but what does it have to do with any of this? :35_thinking: the book I'm reading is not a discussion on who discovered or theoretically hypothesised the existence of the Americas; it's an anthropological study of indigenous people revealing that the level of cultural advancement and the settlement range was higher and broader than previously imagined, as opposed to the widely spread view that the natives were primitive savages living in wilderness. 

29 minutes ago, nudge said:

Good for him but what does it have to do with any of this? :35_thinking: the book I'm reading is not a discussion on who discovered or theoretically hypothesised the existence of the Americas; it's an anthropological study of indigenous people revealing that the level of cultural advancement and the settlement range was higher and broader than previously imagined, as opposed to the widely spread view that the natives were primitive savages living in wilderness. 

along with the widely spread view that Americas was totally undiscovered before Colombus.

Edited by Azeem

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Azeem said:

along with the widely spread view that Americas was totally undiscovered before Colombus.

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Lol previously imagined more like previously constructed

How about you read the actual book instead of nitpicking on the words used in the description of it?... xD 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

How about you read the actual book instead of nitpicking on the words used in the description of it?... xD 

Didn't knew that word ! thanks 

Wasn't nitpicking or being rude. 

Things like these are constructed all around the World for political reasons can of worms, who came first, who made it what it is today etc.

That's why i find the word 'imagined' meh 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Azeem said:

Things like these are constructed all around the World for political reasons can of worms, who came first, who made it what it is today etc.

Of course it is, that's why books like this that try to clear existing misconceptions and challenge false paradigms with new archaeological facts and discoveries are important. The thing is, even without political meddling with the past, we still don't know many things about the world and cultures that lived centuries ago and many numbers related to that time are just rough estimates so I don't think the word "imagined" is so wrong here. It's one thing to understand that the image of the Americas being largely uninhabited mass of land with just a few wandering savages is just plainly wrong and was used to justify the means for political goals and expansion etc, but it's a different thing altogether to try and accurately estimate the actual size of native populations in cities and settlements at that that time. I mean we are still digging up "new" cities with estimated population of millions and extended trade networks that we didn't know even existed. New evidence is being added to what we know continuously so previously held views are being challenged one way or another as the overall pool of knowledge grows.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Azeem said:

Ya damn nitpicker xD

Finished 2 books this week - 
7840156.jpg

358540.jpg